USMLE Forums banner

No idea how I passed STEP 2 CS; there's hope for all. Here's my story.

12K views 24 replies 11 participants last post by  Rolandomd 
#1 ·
Hi guys,

I'd like to thank God first and foremost. Alhamdilla I passed. I really really needed this win to keep up my spirits.
This is my first post and I'm happy that it's with a positive connotation.

So here's my CS story and how I passed.

I'm a US med student and I was scheduled to take CS in early November.

In early October my life literally flipped up-side-down. My mom developed a cough and was soon diagnosed with squamous cell lung carcinoma. This alone is devastating. As an only child, without my dad around. It was pretty much my mom and I against this beast. I was horrendously messed up and basically dropped out to take care of my mom. Btw, thank you family and friends for abandoning us.
After rescheduling CS and CK twice, I finally said enough is enough and took a shot in the dark and took CS January, 2016.

My plan:

I studied 10-12 days. I had first aid CS and a whole bunch of notes from previous posts from this website and others - those helped A LOT.

I didn't finish all of first aid. I didn't read the mini-cases. I didn't practice for hours. All I did was gather a bunch of mnemonics for each system.
MSK, PSY, NEURO, CV, PULM, OB/GYN, PEDS, GU and GI.

I memorized the living hell out of my mnemonics then asked 2 of my remaining friends to help out for a couple day to simulate a SP. I did about 4 cases a day for...maybe 4 or 5 days. But...I didn't practice my note.

I practiced with a timer set at 14 mins - Intro, HX, PE, counseling and closure with 1 min to spare if I needed it.

My note I did on my own. Again, I set a timer for 9 mins and God that wasn't enough. I actually timed myself to see how long it took me to finish it while rushing and it was something like 14mins. I had to get faster, and more accurate. Eventually I got it down to 10-11mins with a lot of abbreviations.
I did a few more notes and finally said, that's enough; either I'll get it or not.

The exam was a 100% hit or miss with me.

The actual exam itself:

I took it in Chicago.

Case 1: The first case of was freaking weird ass PSY and MSK mixed and I didn't finish on time - the guy wouldn't stfu. That means no closure (no dx impression, no counseling, no what to do next). Next case same thing.

Case 2: Got half way through my neuro after CV, PULM and HEENT, then ran out of time. For my note, same thing. I struggled to finish. I did not.

Case 3: Peds MSK but kid was 16 and had permission from mom to be examed alone. I treated it as an adult case. I finished on time with counseling and everything. Note I finished too.

Cases 4-12 were just a blur. They were the typical cases CV, Alzheimers, MI, Cough, painful urination and GI. Case 10 was weird OB/Gyn and GI mixed.

Ok. So, here's the deal guys. I didn't close on about 5 cases: No diagnostic impression, no what studies to order, no counseling. I didn't finish my note on about 5 cases including one note I ran out of time and forgot to put diagnostic studies (I'm retarded I know). after case 6, IN THE MIDDLE OF MY NOTE, I switched from lower case to CAPITALIZED LETTERS. At that point I didn't give a F***.

I either perfectly counseled or kinda/sorta counseled about 7-8 cases and didn't on some. I dropped the draping on the floor for one case and actually cursed (****) in another as I heard the buzzer. I messed up on the differentials on 3 cases and even put metrorrhagia on one (wtf was I thinking?)
Spelling...pshhh, I made so many mistakes haha

I made so many mistakes, I was certain I failed. It was the thing I was most absolutely certain about in my life. I passed and got my results today.

----------------------------------------
What I did do correctly:

-Had an amazing intro and closure (when I actually did it)
-Very strong HPI, PMH and PE (when I was able to finish it entirely)
-Had lots and lots of empathy
-Kept asking "is there anything else you like to discuss? Am I missing anything? Do you fully understand and are on board with our plan?
-Always sanitized hands and draped.
-Always EVERY CASE did CV, lungs and HEENT.
-Filled out Diagnosis and studies first (for most of them lol see above)

----------------------------------------------

How I think I saved myself:

The note was basically my biggest downfall I felt. So, in the middle of my exam I noticed I was wasting too much time on systems that were not apart of the chief complaint.
Say the case was GI, eventually on my note I didn't even care about the rest. I wrote out Diagnosis and studies first, the HPI with chief complaint system first and then the rest if I had time.

Basically my entire ENTIRE note was abbreviations. I used many that were not listed on the usmle website and just went for it.

----------------------------------------------------

Granted I didn't get higher performance in any other than English, but I didn't get anything under boarder line except for 1 start below that shaded region. Overall I did enough to pass.

I wanted to share my experience because if I can pass even going through all my personal stuff outside school by barely studying. Guys anyone, including you, can do it.

Please private message me if you need any further help or want a copy of my notes or the resources I used.

Best of luck to all!

P.S, please pray (or send happy thoughts) for my mothers recovery - that's all I ask for. Thanks guys.

See less See more
#5 ·
I AM UNABLE TO PM YOU ,AS MY POST COUNT IS LOW. CAN U PLEASE GUIDE ME IF THERE IS A PARTICULAR TEST CENTER WHERE WE SHOULD SCHEDULE OUR EXAM BEING AN IMG? AND IT WOULD BE REALLY NICE OF YOU IF YOU COULD SEND ME A COPY OF YOUR NOTES, I WILL BE REALLY THANKFUL.
MY EMAIL ID IS jasminemutti92@gmail.com
MY prayers are with your mom and good wishes for your future journey.
Thankyou for the post too ,very helpful.Happy-2

#6 ·
Thanks everyone. I can't reply to private messages due to low count but I will send you all my notes if you post your email or if you can Private message me your email.

Thanks all for your kind thoughts and prayers for my mom.

Best of luck to all!

#7 ·
Hi guys,

I'd like to thank God first and foremost. Alhamdilla I passed. I really really needed this win to keep up my spirits.
This is my first post and I'm happy that it's with a positive connotation.

So here's my CS story and how I passed.

I'm a US med student and I was scheduled to take CS in early November.

In early October my life literally flipped up-side-down. My mom developed a cough and was soon diagnosed with squamous cell lung carcinoma. This alone is devastating. As an only child, without my dad around. It was pretty much my mom and I against this beast. I was horrendously messed up and basically dropped out to take care of my mom. Btw, thank you family and friends for abandoning us.
After rescheduling CS and CK twice, I finally said enough is enough and took a shot in the dark and took CS January, 2016.

My plan:

I studied 10-12 days. I had first aid CS and a whole bunch of notes from previous posts from this website and others - those helped A LOT.

I didn't finish all of first aid. I didn't read the mini-cases. I didn't practice for hours. All I did was gather a bunch of mnemonics for each system.
MSK, PSY, NEURO, CV, PULM, OB/GYN, PEDS, GU and GI.

I memorized the living hell out of my mnemonics then asked 2 of my remaining friends to help out for a couple day to simulate a SP. I did about 4 cases a day for...maybe 4 or 5 days. But...I didn't practice my note.

I practiced with a timer set at 14 mins - Intro, HX, PE, counseling and closure with 1 min to spare if I needed it.

My note I did on my own. Again, I set a timer for 9 mins and God that wasn't enough. I actually timed myself to see how long it took me to finish it while rushing and it was something like 14mins. I had to get faster, and more accurate. Eventually I got it down to 10-11mins with a lot of abbreviations.
I did a few more notes and finally said, that's enough; either I'll get it or not.

The exam was a 100% hit or miss with me.

The actual exam itself:

I took it in Chicago.

Case 1: The first case of was freaking weird ass PSY and MSK mixed and I didn't finish on time - the guy wouldn't stfu. That means no closure (no dx impression, no counseling, no what to do next). Next case same thing.

Case 2: Got half way through my neuro after CV, PULM and HEENT, then ran out of time. For my note, same thing. I struggled to finish. I did not.

Case 3: Peds MSK but kid was 16 and had permission from mom to be examed alone. I treated it as an adult case. I finished on time with counseling and everything. Note I finished too.

Cases 4-12 were just a blur. They were the typical cases CV, Alzheimers, MI, Cough, painful urination and GI. Case 10 was weird OB/Gyn and GI mixed.

Ok. So, here's the deal guys. I didn't close on about 5 cases: No diagnostic impression, no what studies to order, no counseling. I didn't finish my note on about 5 cases including one note I ran out of time and forgot to put diagnostic studies (I'm retarded I know). after case 6, IN THE MIDDLE OF MY NOTE, I switched from lower case to CAPITALIZED LETTERS. At that point I didn't give a F***.

I either perfectly counseled or kinda/sorta counseled about 7-8 cases and didn't on some. I dropped the draping on the floor for one case and actually cursed (****) in another as I heard the buzzer. I messed up on the differentials on 3 cases and even put metrorrhagia on one (wtf was I thinking?)
Spelling...pshhh, I made so many mistakes haha

I made so many mistakes, I was certain I failed. It was the thing I was most absolutely certain about in my life. I passed and got my results today.

----------------------------------------
What I did do correctly:

-Had an amazing intro and closure (when I actually did it)
-Very strong HPI, PMH and PE (when I was able to finish it entirely)
-Had lots and lots of empathy
-Kept asking "is there anything else you like to discuss? Am I missing anything? Do you fully understand and are on board with our plan?
-Always sanitized hands and draped.
-Always EVERY CASE did CV, lungs and HEENT.
-Filled out Diagnosis and studies first (for most of them lol see above)

----------------------------------------------

How I think I saved myself:

The note was basically my biggest downfall I felt. So, in the middle of my exam I noticed I was wasting too much time on systems that were not apart of the chief complaint.
Say the case was GI, eventually on my note I didn't even care about the rest. I wrote out Diagnosis and studies first, the HPI with chief complaint system first and then the rest if I had time.

Basically my entire ENTIRE note was abbreviations. I used many that were not listed on the usmle website and just went for it.

----------------------------------------------------

Granted I didn't get higher performance in any other than English, but I didn't get anything under boarder line except for 1 start below that shaded region. Overall I did enough to pass.

I wanted to share my experience because if I can pass even going through all my personal stuff outside school by barely studying. Guys anyone, including you, can do it.

Please private message me if you need any further help or want a copy of my notes or the resources I used.

Best of luck to all!

P.S, please pray (or send happy thoughts) for my mothers recovery - that's all I ask for. Thanks guys.
First of all CONGRAAAATS!!! and most of all: many prayers to your mom and so sorry you have had such a rough time :( i do hope this is the beginning of a new turn for the better for you!

second of all: so glad to hear your story.. I'll be taking my CS in chicago in T-13h (omgomgomgomgomgogmogmgogmgom) and am pretty much freaking out. I'm so afraid of blanking and missing things, or completely fudging up... neuro cases are my downfall cus it seems i can never finish the neuro exam in time fml. I guess we'll see tomorrow. I think i'm pretty empathetic? I think i counsel ok.. my note is good (if i disregard my crappy ddx and workup)... just hope I pass. Anyways, very happy for you!

#15 ·
Congratulations!! I'm so sorry to hear about your mom and I hope she makes a full recovery. I can only imagine how hard it must've been for you to study with something like that on your mind. Huge respect for succeeding!!!!!

#20 ·
Hey. Sorry for your CK! These tests are so unpredictable sometimes. Maybe it was a time management issue? I felt time management was really tough on CK. You are still good to apply for the match this year. Get back to study and ace this thing. If your UWSA was 232, you should be fine next time, but I would recommend you take some nbme to be on the safe side...
Thanks again for giving hope to all of us who felt so doomed after CS!
Best of luck!

#22 ·
Hello and congrats,

I will pray for your mother recovery for sure. Moms are the most precious gift from God.

Thank you for sharing your experience in CS. That gave me more courage to do the test in late April.

I have done most of Canadian medical exams and started reviewing FA but I am not sure if I get ready till then.

I appreciate your help and if possible chatting on Skype to ask my questions.
My Skype id is: Taraneh A
Thanks you,

#24 ·
cs

Hi good day,
Thank you for your step 2 cs experience. I hope your mom is doing well, sorry to read about that.

I am currently preparing for step 2 cs and also step 1. I am and IMG hoping to apply for match next year and currently doing my rotations in chicgao.

If you still have your study material, notes, mneuonics or anything else that you used and you're willing to share, it will be greatly appreciated!
thank you

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.