USMLE Forums banner

Problem with my eligibility period!

2K views 9 replies 5 participants last post by  Renaissance 
#1 ·
I need some technical help guys

My eligibility period is March-April-May, and my exam is on the 18th of april.

I decided to postpone my exam, but i dont know until when till i do an NBME (which, according to my new study schedule, will be a a couple of days before my exam date)

Let me try to clarify:
-NBME (which will confirm my new exam date): 13 april, earliest possible date
-Current exam date: 16 april, so my postponing has to be before 7 days
-New desired exam date: 9 may

The problem is that my NBME is less than 30 days before my new exam date, AND less than 7 days before my old exam date...so can i just postpone till the last day of my eligibility period and after doing my nbme pull it back behind to where i need it to be?

P.S. doubt anyone understood me, but i thought i'd try anyway!

See less See more
#4 ·
Take your time, pay the 65$ to extend your period (the price of a NBME), use that time.

Or cancel your appointment date (is free), do the NBME and see what happens... (try to save $)

I'm not sure if I helped you in some way

#3 ·
I am guessing you're asking whether or not you can extend your date after taking your nbme which will be less than 7 days away from your real exam ?

I think if you extend after that then you will have to apply for the application and pay the $780 again through the ecfmg website. I am not too sure though.

But i think you should go on prometric's website or ecfmg website or just give them a call and they will answer all your questions better!

Here's a link however: https://iwa2.ecfmg.org/epex/epexoverview.asp

#5 ·
If you postpone on April 13 and your exam date is April 16 --> you will pay $250+.

If you postpone it before April 9 (more than 7 days from your exam) --> you will pay $50+.

REscheduling WITHIN a month incurs a fee.

I read in the ECFMG before that if you RESCHEDULE or pull back your date and the day you do that is less than a month to your new desired date, you'll still have a fee.

If you schedule it on the last day of your eligibility period, then, after doing your nbme on April 13 pull it back and reschedule it on May 9, you still need to pay a fee (I think $50+).

Another example, the end of my eligibility period and my exam is June 29. It's now May 1 and I reschedule my exam to May 15. I still have to pay $50+.

This is from what I remember, check with the ECFMG booklet/bulletin or call the prometric testing center. :)

#8 ·
I read in the ECFMG before that if you RESCHEDULE or pull back your date and the day you do that is less than a month to your new desired date, you'll still have a fee.
u understood me completely! wow! i was re-reading what i asked and even i had a tough time re-understanding what i said hahaha

Well thats exactly what i meant, so instead of pulling it back, im gonna cancel it and re-schedule whenever i feel ready again

Thank you d_wiqed! u deserve the "oh wise one" nickname! :))

#9 ·
oh gosh..u have rubbed it the wrong way..u want to extend ur date right..now please go there and reschedule another date..that way it will cost u 50$:eek::eek:..yeaterday did it only...but why r u in such a hurry..u have time..take one uwsa..it will boost u up a bit..me too felt bad after one nbme but realistically saying it was first NBME and i was ill prepared too in some subjects and nbme showed me low scores in that:)..its an assessment tool but as i have went through forums i found people(AMGS) with 190 3 days before exam in nbme 12 get 229:)..study ur weak areas u will be okay..am too in the same boat..

#10 ·
thnx for the pep talk! i thought of taking a UWSA, but then i decided that postponing was the best thing to do.
It was just too stressful knowing my exam is in 4 weeks and i didnt even pass my NBME!
Hopefully with some hard work and dedication i will get myself to the next level and the one after that, when i've given all i can give thats when i will enter the battlefield :)

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.