USMLE Forums banner

Postponing an exam date?!

2K views 5 replies 4 participants last post by  d_wiqed 
#1 ·
My step 1 exam is on the 30th of May (the last day of my eligibility period).
I'm not ready so i want to postpone.
Problem is, I dont know when i'll be ready until i take my next NBME (which is maybe a month from now). So i just want to cancel it without scheduling a new exam-date.

I always get confused with all this bureaucratic prometric/ECFMG stuff, so i wanted to make sure how it's done:

1- I cancel my current exam date, online through the prometric site.
2- I extend the eligibility period, online through the ECFMG site.
3- When I feel I'm ready for the exam -whenever that may be, I call prometric and set up a new date.

Is that everything?

#3 ·
Make sure you call up pro metric as soon as you extend your eligibility period and pay your 50 dollar fee to get that out of the way...

And if you cancel within ten days of your exam i believe you have to email nbme to resend your eligibility....thats what happened with me but nbme was quick and got back to me within one day (pro metric will tell you exactly what to do when you call them)

#6 ·
Hi, Renaissance!

Buddy, I missed you!!

Yep! I think that's all there is to it.
1 - To cancel the exam date, you'll do it online through the prometric website. Then, you'll receive an e-mail telling you where to call (International Prometric Office of your testing region) to inform about your cancellation. If it's within 30 days (or 5 days) of your exam date, you'll need to pay a certain fee.
2 - Extending the eligibility period: Yep, this is just online. You'll pay $60.
3 - To schedule your new date (anytime), just log-in to prometric and do it online (like before). No payment is needed.

I don't have direct experience with items 1 and 3 but this is what my study partner said.

I'm doing DIT right now... One "DIT day" is pretty tiring... LOL!!

Good luck, bud!! Keep me posted with your progress too. See ya around! :)

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.