USMLE Forums banner

2017 Internal Medicine Residency Matching Applicants

606K views 2K replies 264 participants last post by  gyenyame 
#1 ·
Hello everyone!

Lets gear up for the upcoming 2017 match.We still have a long way to go. I hope we can all help each other and make all of our dreams come true.:)

Please post your credentials in the following format.

Name- Step 1/ck/cs/3/YOG/VISA status/USCE/ Publications
- Any additional information

Note:
> If you have an attempt in any step, please mention in brackets. For example if anyone failed step 1 and then passed it in the second attempt ---- type in 215(2)
>Please mention the type of USCE in brackets. For example, (Electives) or (Extern) or (Obs)

Examples:
Xyz- 224/237/PASS/210/2013/need visa/3 mon(electives)/ 1 pub
Abc- 210/236/PASS(2)/2015/GC/1 mon(extern) 4 mon(obs)

Let our journey begin......

See less See more
#3 ·
I am in.

Please try to include the scores in your signature, like I did.

I will post the general guide on how to go about the match, like token, timelines, and start a Google doc for all the applicants.

If anyone has a prepared list of programs, please share.

I will update the google doc file in a while, and include it in my signature. Please all the applicants do the same.

GoodLuck all!

#4 ·
I am in.

Please try to include the scores in your signature, like I did.

I will post the general guide on how to go about the match, like token, timelines, and start a Google doc for all the applicants.

If anyone has a prepared list of programs, please share.

I will update the google doc file in a while, and include it in my signature. Please all the applicants do the same.

GoodLuck all!
Thanks. That will be very helpful for everyone.
Btw your scores are insane! :eek::)

Reactions: npktun
#5 ·
This is the guide for match from previous year thread, thank you MishkaMd for such a well written guide.

Here are the steps to getting your MyERAS ready for the Match:
  1. Token - Starting June 23rd, 2016 go to ECFMG website, go to your OASIS and click ERAS support section at left hand bottom and choose to buy a Residency Token. The token is valid for the match year.
  2. AAMC - After purchasing the Token you will get a special serial number. Go to AAMC website and register it. This will give you access to MyERAS profile in order to begin updating your profile with information and documents for the upcoming match.
  3. Filling out your ERAS profile
    • You will be prompted to fill in some general information at first, such as your school, date of graduation, whether you require visa or not and etc.
    • Within that same application you will also fill out your CV by adding experiences and writing how many hours you have done and small descriptions of what you have done during that time.
    • N.B. Work experience is everything that was a rotation, observership, clinical teaching. Volunteer experience is pretty much everything else (clubs, being part of societies, workshops, etc). There will also be a separate section for research.
  4. Document Upload
    • Letters of Recommendation (MyERAS). This is about generating PDF's to send to those who will write them and upload on your behalf. If you are an IMG and have non-waived letters, upload them via OASIS. You have two choices: waived or non-waived. Non-waived letters are simply uploaded by you. "Waived" letter means that you don't get to see the letter and it is uploaded by the person who is recommending you. These letters are considered much stronger.
    • Starting last year, AAMC introduced the concept of waived letters being submitted online via a secure network. The process works as such: you go on your MyERAS profile and click on the documents section. There you carry out a request for a letter of recommendation but filling out the name of the person who is recommending you and their position. After you click below tp authorize the generation of PDF file. This file contains instructions for the letter write on how to upload the letter succesfully on your behalf. Send this PDF to your letter write and have them follow the steps. As a suggestion, these letters may take up to two weeks to process, so get them done early! You will be able to check if they have en uploaded by checking your ERAS section in OASIS.
    • Other documents (upload via OASIS in the ERAS section) -They are you LOR's, your transcripts, your CV, your passport photograph, your personal statement and MSPE
    • If you are an IMG, generally MPSE is uploaded by you. If you are an AMG, the school will upload them on your behalf. MSPE's are released after October 1st, 2016.
  5. Search and Select your programs by Clicking on "Programs" Tab.
    • You can search them by AAMC or NRMP ID or even by location. You should have a good idea of where you want to apply to by now.
    • The best resource for research is FREIDA. Go to FREIDA, and set your own filters. After selecting the programs, try visiting their website to find out any requirements which may cost you an automatic disqualification from the game. Pay close attention to programs that don't sponsor visas.
    • Remember, It is always best to check their websites and request any addition information first hand, then to trust lists people created years ago. Try to do this step before July, as it will save you lots of time!
  6. Click on "Programs" tab and click on each program and check boxes in order attach the necessary documents to them. These include LORs, Photo, and your USMLE transcripts. NOTE! Your USMLE transcripts can only be checked when the application season opens on September 1st, 2016. There is a one time fee of 65$ I believe that will be included in your final invoice.
  7. On September 15th, 2016, go to your programs list and check the box next to each program. Scroll down and complete the steps to make the payment. Once you have paid, wait to receive your confirmation.
  8. To kill 2 birds with one stone: After you have completed the payment, go to NRMP website and register for the match. It is a one time 65$ fee. This will come in handy in February, when you will do your ranking.
  9. You can check the status of your ERAS application for each program in ADTS, which is located on the top right bar next to "Messages."
  10. Now the wait begins. You will get notifications to your e-mail and ERAS "Messages" section for interviews and rejections!

#8 ·
  • June

Determine eligibility.
    US Residency Programs & Licensure Requirements Schedule.
    If you haven't scheduled your CS by now, do so immediately!
    ERAS Tokens.
  • July

Submit Supporting Documents.
    AAMC's MyERAS opens.
  • August

Track Supporting Documents.
    Finalize Application in MyERAS.
  • September

NRMP Registration opens. Begin applying to Programs.
  • October

MSPEs are released.
  • November

Wait for interviews. Take Step 3 or find more USCE.
  • December

NRMP Early Registration Deadline.

Next year (2017):
  • January

NRMP Rank Order List Entry begins.
  • February

Deadline for Match Registration and Submission of Rank
    Order List.
  • March

Match Results Posted to NRMP Website.
    SOAP Offer Rounds begin.
    Match Day! (On the third Friday of March each year)

#18 ·
got it. also I am not able to include the google doc link in my signature (forum is not giving me permission to allow html in the signature, guess it has to do with the number of posts):notsure:

#24 ·
I don't think it will but not 100% sure. Some say it would not look nice but there are others who say it does not mean anything. ECFMG/ERAS would definitely show you as a repeat applicant and your documents will be forwarded for next season.

#25 ·
LOR?

Hey,
Question concerning LOR:
Do we have to wait to get the PDF version from ERAS, late June, to request letters or can we get them already now? If we get them (waived), how do they submit them? Im an IMG and will be graduating in 2017 and plane to do the 2017 match.

#26 ·
Hey,
Question concerning LOR:
Do we have to wait to get the PDF version from ERAS, late June, to request letters or can we get them already now? If we get them (waived), how do they submit them? Im an IMG and will be graduating in 2017 and plane to do the 2017 match.
Read the above post which explains the process. Cannot send them now. You can only upload LoR once you buy the token and have access to MyERAS or ERAS support services at ECFMG. If its waived LoRs, you will be using LoR portal via MyERAS to send a request to the letter writers to upload the letter.

#30 ·
Hi everyone!

Thank you guys for the links- very helpful.
First (and hopefully last) match.

247/225/PASS/NO STEP 3/2011 with continues clinical experience /Need J1 or H1/1m USCE 2016/ 3PUB

I am worried about "YOG-Application year" gap but in my case it was mandatory to practice 5 years as a GP after an internship year and before residency so had no choice.

I have gained great clinical experience and have an awesome recent 2016 USCE with LOR from an attending physician at a very well known university-based program.
Any tips on how to convey programs not to automatically discard my application just based on my YOG but actually take a look into it??

Happy Hunger Games, and may the odds be ever in your favor :plz:

#31 ·

247/225/PASS/NO STEP 3/2011 with continues clinical experience /Need J1 or H1/1m USCE 2016/ 3PUB

I am worried about "YOG-Application year" gap but in my case it was mandatory to practice 5 years as a GP after an internship year and before residency so had no choice.

I have gained great clinical experience and have an awesome recent 2016 USCE with LOR from an attending physician at a very well known university-based program.
Any tips on how to convey programs not to automatically discard my application just based on my YOG but actually take a look into it??

Unless you have contacts, I am afraid that you will be automatically screened by the YOG filters placed by programs that need YOG <5 years.

However, you could apply to programs that accept YOG >5 years, especially community programs. I have heard that some program directors appreciate home country experience.

Is the 5 year practice as a GP following medical education a compulsory requirement in order to receive your degree?

#33 ·
Your idea is good. I don't really think it will make a difference, but it can't hurt. Who knows? You might impress a few PDs with your CV....

Wow.... A 5 year practice requirement? That's tough. If you don't mind me asking you, may I know which country you're from?:)

#34 ·
Hopefully my cv/p.s/recent usce/LOR will get their attention somehow...
By the way, do you have an idea when can I assume that I have been filtered out by a certain program? I don't want to contact them to early (have not been filtered out yet) or to late (program almost finished interviewing).

If you don't mind, I prefer to keep the answer "idiopathic" or "NOS" to your question&#8230; :cool:

Happy Hunger Games, and may the odds be ever in your favor

#36 ·
You could spend a couple thousand dollars extra on applying to programs that would screen you out immediately due to your YOG. Or you could apply to only those programs for which you are eligible for and save that money.

Practically speaking, if a program states that it doesn't consider anyone with a YOG > 5 years, they usually mean it.

Your explanatory email would most likely get ignored by the program coordinator, as they are very busy during the match season. And there is a slim chance that the program coordinator would forward this email to the PD.

As I have said before, the only way for you to stand a chance to be invited for an interview at a program for which you don't qualify, is if you have contacts at that program.

If money is not a problem, you can proceed with your plan. Good luck. :)

#37 ·
Hi, thank for the response also wanted to ask
1) because I graduated in 2012, so when selecting the year of graduation should it based on the year of applying to eras(sept 2016) or should it be based on the year of applying to match(march 2017).---this is confusing as if I use 2016 then its 4 yrs since graduation, but if I do it based on the march 2017 then it becomes 5 yrs since graduation.

please advise thank you.

#39 ·
are you first author in your publications? do you have US co-authors or otherwise well renowned internationally? One way we have seen the YOG hurdle being overcome is via solid research and excellent LORs. As has been pointed out in Sept you will likely be filtered out if they have 5 year YOG requirement BUT depending on your research/pubs, you could reach out the PDs now- showcasing your research. Many of them will be interested and may get back to you to discuss-depending on how compelling your email is and how you position your research

Happy Hunger Games, and may the odds be ever in your favor :plz:[/QUOTE]

#40 ·
are you first author in your publications? do you have US co-authors or otherwise well renowned internationally? One way we have seen the YOG hurdle being overcome is via solid research and excellent LORs. As has been pointed out in Sept you will likely be filtered out if they have 5 year YOG requirement BUT depending on your research/pubs, you could reach out the PDs now- showcasing your research. Many of them will be interested and may get back to you to discuss-depending on how compelling your email is and how you position your research

[/QUOTE]

Sadly, programs can auto filter out applicants based on criteria, such as YOG and step score. I think your best bet is to apply very broadly to places that have a track record of taking IMGs. look at FRIEDA to see the percentage of IMGs that a program has; that's how I made my application list.

Good luck! I matched this year, and start next month. Hope to see you match :)

#47 · (Edited)
There's some divided opinion on this one. Some say, it's calculated from your graduation till application date, others say till match date and still others say till admission date. Only a few programs have specified in their websites about what they want for their program (eg. graduated within 5 years of application OR graduated within 5 years of start of academic year, etc.).
Either way, with your graduation date being 2012, you should be able to beat the cut-off (if you're applying for Match 2017).

#48 ·
question about YOG

Hey what would be the year of graduation for me?? I passed the final examination of my degree on 2013 but I got the degree after 1 year internship on 2014... So what would be the year of graduation??

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.