USMLE Forums banner

Observeship

2K views 6 replies 7 participants last post by  raul07 
#1 ·
Hi
I'm an IMG trying to find an observership and have no contacts in the US.I just finished my step 1..Any advice would be appreciated.Please help because I feel lost

#3 ·
You are able to do externships and observerships. However, observerships are not very strong experience because you are not allow to perform any hands on experience. Try applying to many places, It is a constant battle to find opportunities. My good friend Anaya may be able to assist you though. She has personal contacts and connections with doctors around US. I would not have gotten an idea for my usce without her assistance. Her email is Anaya.rettaa@gmail.com

#4 ·
If you are still a student then you should definitely look into applying to electives which are held in a higher regard than any other form of USCE. Since you have already written your Step 1 you'll have a better chances of getting to the various program. I know that Yale, Harvard, University of Alabama, FIU, University of Kansas, UCSD, etc. These are just a few of the programs that offer USCE to International grads. In the forum just type in MEDICAL ELECTIVES and you'll get a decently sized list. Just a note thought these electives need you to apply well in advanced to be selected and will cost you money for sure. (personal experience)

If you graduated already then you should probably look into doing an Externship offered by various companies listed on various places on this forum. Examples are Medclerkships, Chicago Clerkships, FMG portal.

If you are deadset on doing an observership which in in fact some programs do not consider as USCE, there are programs like the Cleveland Clinic, Jefferson Medical College, etc. However most observerships are done through contacts through physicians that you or your relatives know. Usually a doctor will accept you for an observership as they do not allow any hands on experience and just entail following the doctor around on their daily routine. You could even try and email some hospital programs and ask if you could do an observership at their hospital.

Research would be the next option but would def need you to dedicate some time for the program. I know that Johns Hopkins offers a research program which would need you to apply early and be a student. If you aren't a student then I would recommend emailing some research institutions around your area that your relatives or where you plan to be and ask them if it would be okay to do some research at their institute. You should always have an idea in mind and present a plan and in most cases they will accept and allow you access to their facility and will try and help you with a mentor. (personal experience)

Hopefully your questions were answered.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.