USMLE Forums banner

Suggestions for Last Week of Studying

19K views 63 replies 16 participants last post by  patelMD 
#1 ·
Hello all!

My exam is scheduled on Aug 20th and I've got 7 days left to crunch it!

I haven't taken an NBME yet to assess myself (mistake, I know), but plan on taking it on Monday (Form 4; I wanted to go over MTB over the 2 days because of a confidence issue). I needed suggestions on what to do this last week that I have.

I'll be trying to focus on my UW Notes (50+ Pages) and MTB/Secrets. Right now, it seems overwhelming but I guess i'll have to push it this last week.

Any other suggestions? :confused::confused::confused:

Thanks.

#2 ·
Take NBME 4 so you can figure out any weaknesses and then you can spend time too reviewing those in UW. You can use the search feature to look up topics you are weak in, or that you get wrong.

I know my last week, I was starting to get tired of studying and UW and all, just keep pushing. A lot can happen in these last few days, an extra 10-15+ points easily

#3 ·
im in the same boat. exam in 2weeks. id suggest take an nbme now, to know ur weak areas. i took nbme4 yest. scored 223/470. not as good, but i realised i suchkat psych! got an asterix in poor performance.lol. so ya take an nbme now, so that u can work on ur weak areas. dunwry its not ur real exam! goodluck

#12 ·
Okay guys,

After listening to your advice, I did UWSA and ended up with a 218 (66%-62%-72%-61%). Exam is on the 20th, and I hope to boost my score up by at least 10-15 points (wouldn't mind a 230).

Any ideas on how to approach that?
Great job, go over it in detail, read every question, both wrong and right. Go over the sections you are weak in again, using UW search feature.

Then once you are done with this, then you can take NBME 4, maybe by Aug 15.

Reactions: patelMD
#9 ·
Nah man, I cannot postpone my exam. I have to stick with the date.

UWSA predicted the score around the same range as NBME 2.

I just need to pull my socks up and study as much as possible to increase my score.

I am hoping NBMEs have underestimated my score and my final score will be above 225.

#10 ·
Nah man, I cannot postpone my exam. I have to stick with the date.

UWSA predicted the score around the same range as NBME 2.

I just need to pull my socks up and study as much as possible to increase my score.

I am hoping NBMEs have underestimated my score and my final score will be above 225.
Oh okay, so you have done UWSA. Okay, that's good then :)

#16 ·
id suggest, UW is more imp at this point of time than MTB. because everytime u read UW theres something new u learn. MTB is just the basic stuff, which u probably know by now. if u dont have time for UW , cuz answering questions and all does take a lot of time, try reading Girl interrupted UW notes! i jus started reading them myself twodays ago.had heard a lot abt it. normally i refrain from opening new stuff last minute. but this is Pure UW information.nothing new.nothing extra. evrything straight from uworld.even the vocabulary!its jus compiled more properly. so u can brush ur memory at a faster pace. im liking it so far. i did psych and Biostats from there. evrything made so much more sense. because its all in one place!

#18 ·
remembr ur notes are way better than anything else.
and for girl interrupted, use it only for weak areas. 256pages is too much for last week! rember quality is more imp than quantity at this point of time. ud rather do 50 pages and be able to solve questions, than do 256 and solve none. dunwry u got the girl in ur hand! lol lol

#32 ·
Just to update you all: I finished 1/2 my UW notes yesterday and will finish the 1/2 today (total of about 110 pages), and will revise MTB over next 3 days (wed/thurs/fri), and will do some rote memorization of formulas, and things i find are hard to keep in memory (drug adr etc.) on saturday. Sunday is day before exam so wont do anything.

Ive really gotten fatigued from studying & rotations so i can barely find the motivation to study this last week.

#33 ·
Just to update you all: I finished 1/2 my UW notes yesterday and will finish the 1/2 today (total of about 110 pages), and will revise MTB over next 3 days (wed/thurs/fri), and will do some rote memorization of formulas, and things i find are hard to keep in memory (drug adr etc.) on saturday. Sunday is day before exam so wont do anything.

Ive really gotten fatigued from studying & rotations so i can barely find the motivation to study this last week.
good luck u will do great

#37 ·
Update:

Have fallen behind in the studying schedule, haven't finished 1/2 of the IM that I was suppose to get done by Thursday. I guess i'll be covering the rest of IM only on friday. No Ob Gyn/Peds/Surgery etc.

Saturday, will try and finish Secrets finally + formulas etc.

Also, motivation is lacking now and the pre-exam amnesia syndrome has kicked in. :sleepy:

#38 ·
Update:

Have fallen behind in the studying schedule, haven't finished 1/2 of the IM that I was suppose to get done by Thursday. I guess i'll be covering the rest of IM only on friday. No Ob Gyn/Peds/Surgery etc.

Saturday, will try and finish Secrets finally + formulas etc.

Also, motivation is lacking now and the pre-exam amnesia syndrome has kicked in. :sleepy:
Keep up the efforts...U will crack....best of luck...

#42 ·
Thanks for the motivation guys.

Since my last post, I managed to finish all of IM from MTB 2.

I wont be going over anymore, and consider my review period done. Monday is the big day, so will rest up tomorrow and perhaps get ma drank on.

#43 ·
Best wishes and God speed!
No getting any "drank on", till after the exam!:)) Rest up and get plenty of rest. Take enough caffeine, snack and lunch with you to the exam.

Reactions: patelMD
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.