USMLE Forums banner

USMLE for Indian Students

7K views 24 replies 8 participants last post by  pranavmerchant 
#1 ·
i am a second year medical studsent in india. we had ana,biochem and physio last year. this year we have pharma,microbio,forensic and pathology... when should i give step 1? please help somebody.....

#2 ·
after second year itself. get kaplan notes and videos and start preparing in second year. You will easily pass your university exams if u will have proper command over goljan's patho and rest of other kaplan's material.

take the exam after you 2nd year exams, that is in 3rd year. 3rd year is very chilled out with the syllabus whic is not even half of second, so you can easily take 3-4 months for full blown prep in start of 3rd year and take the exam by say april-may.

I made a mistake of not realizing all this in my second year, prepared for step 1 in 3rd year and took it this year in june and i am in final year. Now i am literally dying out of the course load and all the backlog i have created due to step 1 prep.

Best Of Luck

#10 ·
I wanted to post it separately but then thought would ask it here,I am a third year student about to enter final year in three months and have just decided to prepare for usmle,i know kinda late but hopefully not too late.Just planning to sit usmle next year around June,but that'll be my final year and ill be too stressed with the burden of final year :( plus I have to start from point zero,no idea what m heading towards,please somebody enlighten me on how to go about it?
Any help would be appreciated ,Thanks

#14 ·
It's possible. But you will have to work really hard once your 3rd year exams are over till June. Try to finish goljan and one one more subject till october mid this year. Then you will be all set

Sent from my HTC Explorer A310e using Tapatalk

#18 ·
hello..
can anyone bring into limelight the concept of USCE n Electives..??

and why does Indian med students still struggle in the rat race of Pg-entrance & stay in India by getting stuck in this system !! :rolleyes:
typical indian med student has no clue why he's doing medicine in the first place!!!!!!
usmle requires planning and consistent hard work... how many students are willing to do that?
and of course if you have a quota here, why would you want to struggle so much anyway... !!

#20 ·
hello..
thanks pranavmerchant for the advice.. Can u please suggest me that any research projects like ICMR STS or anything of that sort shall be beneficial for boost up of CV..?
ur welcome..!
sorry i dont know much about ICMR etc.
im too busy with step 1 prep and med school exams for now to think about research which is a time consuming affair.
I might do it later only if it carries significant weightage;which i dont think it should coz ICMR is not all that well known in the US.
Do ask someone who's already got accepted.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.