USMLE Forums banner

Is any IMG with below step 1 225 getting residency anymore now?

14K views 21 replies 17 participants last post by  LittleMissDoctor 
#1 ·
I posted this in Step 1 forum but I feel this is the more apt forum for this discussion , please give your inputs
I will be very blunt now, I got my step 1 results recently, and it turned out to be a 224. I wasn't too distraught about it. But as i comb through all the residency applicants threads, I am seeing very few with scores less than 225 and it is slowly getting a bit depressing.
I mean I was planning to have a 'normal' resume, something like 224/240/pass/3months USCE/3 LORS/visa needed).
I understand some of it might be due to reporting bias but I simply am not seeing any similar 'backgrounders' getting positions and even many interviews. When i looked at the NRMP charting outcomes, there are people getting matched with scores at 225 and below all the way upto 190, but its getting hard to believe without anyone coming forward without a first person account.
Please don't be angry with me for asking these questions. I would be immensely happy if someone with a similar background or someone who knows an IMG with a similar background getting a residency position tells their experience.
Please do take the time to reply, as my confidence is very low right now and you would be a great help.

#2 ·
Search this forum and others, you'll find dozens of examples. The biggest thing holding you back from more interviews is probably the need of a visa. Personally know two people who matched with scores of less than 200 last year. Heard of multiple people getting interviews with scores from 197-210 on step 1 this year. Fewer programs are starting to sponsor visas, that's your biggest hurdle

#22 ·
Yes I did with less than 220 on both step 1 and step 2 :)

Moral lesson: work on other parts of your resume
Your story is very inspirational! I just recently got my step 1 score and felt so bummed about getting a 222. I was actually a little bit devastated given my NBME scores were a lot higher than that. I just wanted to ask, did you apply right when ERAS opened? What are your thoughts about applying 2 weeks later? I'd really appreciate it!

#20 ·
Focus on your whole resume

Of course STEP 1/2/CS scores are important. And obviously you need to study extremely hard to do well.
But I would also focus on the "whole" package. You want to have very strong LoR (from people at places you are applying if possible), research in the specialty you are applying to (talk to residents about case reports or other ongoing research at a nearby facility), volunteer at nearby hospitals/doctor offices, become more involved (join ACP, AAFP, etc...).
It always helps to put a face to the application. If you build up all of those aspects of your application, it could possibly make up for a "marginal" STEP 1/2 score.

medmatchplus+
medmatchplus.com

#21 · (Edited)
To the OP:
I like to think of a successful match as having 3 components:
1. Getting your application reviewed
2. Getting an interview
3. Being ranked high by the program

Step scores are the most important factor for getting your application reviewed. But they are not the only factor.
Once you are offered an interview, you are more or less at the same level as all the other interviewees. You step scores play a much smaller role once you're past the 1st (maybe the 2nd) stage.

Also, good job on reviewing the actual data on outcomes. I always recommend believing data more than anecdotal accounts of someone who matched with a score of 195 (although it does wonders for your confidence and mood :eek:). Data (NRMP) shows that people with a wide range of scores (low 200s to 260s) match into internal medicine (assuming that's what you're trying for). There are a lot of other things you can do to boost your application. Read more at https://alienmd.com/2017/04/14/how-...an-mbbs-students-trying-to-my-match-in-usmle/.

I write about IMGs and USMLE on my blog: https://www.alienmd.com.
Facebook Page: @thealienmd

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.