USMLE Forums banner

Failed step 1

5K views 11 replies 9 participants last post by  dr.nitowl 
#1 ·
hey guys!!! totally devastated at my scores...... i got 178 in my step 1 first attempt while i was expecting about 210 ....i really am lost right now...is 2nd attempt really worth or sud i just move on to other options.... dont have any clue...if anyone there who had failed step 1 and then had a success story in usmle is reading this...u would be doing a kind thing by replying to me please..i am really vulnerable and depressed right now...
please suggest me your honest suggestions guys ....

#4 ·
need advice also pls.

i have failed step 1 3 times. I don't know what to do. I am aiming for psych and still have an observership should I take it again? please please need advice. I am devestated at this point. I was 100% sure I passed this last time, I read FA 4 times, did u world twice. PLEASE PLEASE need advice. I am A US FMG, 9 months of observerships in usa, graduated 2010

#6 ·
failed failed

hi guys i am an img...now i an say i am an old img...passed 2010..due to various reason and issues i gave step 1 exam on march 2012...i thought i will pass but i failed..i started study again...i did uw twice last time before exam and nbme 11 got 320 and then nbme 7 got 420...i crossed 200 so thought it will be ok if i give exam but i got only 70% in real exam...now i studied again.took nbme 5 got 510 and nbme 6 got 610...i did student consult with study partner...i studied Fa 3 to 4 times and then i have done uwsae but in that i did so bad only 60%...i was originally planning to give exam on september october but now my all hope washed with the water...i am so crushed sometime i feel like kill myself to just get rid off this exams...with extremly family presure i dont know what to do ...my residency time line is running out...please if any kind experienced person is there to help me by advising...you will just proably save my life...i am so close to loose my life too...plesae anybody help me...please anyone just tell me what can i do....

#8 ·
failed

everyone says you can do it...but no one says how can i do it...any person is there to guide me or any experienced tutor who can just tel me what should i do ....i hard so mush about this forum that ppl get really help...i want help...please urgently anyone...

#10 ·
everyone says you can do it...but no one says how can i do it...any person is there to guide me or any experienced tutor who can just tel me what should i do ....i hard so mush about this forum that ppl get really help...i want help...please urgently anyone...
It is difficult to tell you how you should study. If I were you I would set myself a goal:

"Let's take the exam February and I will start studying as hard as I can"

Don't waste your time with too many books, stick to KLN and videos + FA. Do annotations in your FA and learn it by heart.

Please don't give up, you will regret it because you'll never now if you would have passed it or not.

Let's say you pass it in February, then all the trouble and problems you went through had a deeper meaning and were not unnecessary.

Life is a road with twists and turn; and at some point you are entering a blind alley -> turn around go back to the beginning and start again.

#9 ·
I had initially planned to take the exam in sept n was preparing for it against many odds... but in Aug I realised that things were just not falling in place so I cancelled d exam n lost all the money...

I wanted to kill myself too... so I can partially understand your feeling... it is still a daily n uphill battle for me to get up in d morn n study after all my recent mistakes... I still drift between depression n anxiety.

Some people get their act together in a very short time some others need to put in that extra effort n we may fall in the 2nd category. Also everyone is facing different kinds of life challenges n stresses.

My suggestion is to let this stressful time pass. Watch some good movies n do things which will encourage u. Then try to understand what mistakes u are making while studying n then start with your weakest subject.

It is going to be hard. Really hard! But only you can pull yourself out of this situation. Take the time u need to prepare n get that 240+

BTW... killing self also requires paramount strength and persistence... it is not at all easy to commit suicide... ;-)

Also read about 'amygdala hijack' on the internet before you take any decisions ...

n we are there for u...

#12 ·
failure in step1 doesnt mean end of usmle career buddy. Assuming you are an img! what do u mean by other options? If you think you have good options in your home country to continue in medical field than usmle then you can think of those options. Yes it becomes a little tough to go thru usmle and residency process if u have an attempt on step1 but that doesnt means theres no chance. how is your profile ? clinical experience research, contacts etc if you have any such then you can cover it up. Good thing about usmle is there are several components so you can balance your profile in one or the other aspect, scores are not everything.You can always make your cv strong. score well in your future exams and get into residency.. Talk to someone who knows exactly about your profile and your native medical education system they will be able to guide you beter... Everyone has hard times have hope you will succeed.. all the best..

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.