USMLE Forums banner

Do we really need MTB3?

3K views 12 replies 8 participants last post by  drsmart 
#1 ·
I have completed 1st reading , MTB2 for internal medicine and it is cool but for the rest of subjects i did the kaplan lecture notes , i have the new MTB for step3 i read few pages but i didn't find it good enough to be a replacement of kaplan lecture notes. it misses many points.

i want to know should i still go through it for the subjects other then medicine? is it worth time spending in addition to kaplan LN?

i am not gonna make it primary for those subjects anyway.

anyone who has done it please give your opinion, Thanks.

#4 ·
I disagree.
MTBs are the review of KLNs and are only good for passing the exam (score of about 210) since they are missing a lot of topics. For example, MTB 2 dosn't have Dementia covered at all. Similarly, MTB 3 does not even have Anemia of Prematurity/ Diamond Blackfan anemia etc. Not to mention that none of them covers Cervical neoplasia well enough to answer questions on the real exam. So, if you have done KLNs it is better to stick to them and maybe use the last week or two to review the review.
Of course, it depend s a lot on your background knowledge.

Read this thread from mbbs2010

Reactions: Syndrome X
#8 ·
hey man dont listen to these guys do what makes you comfortable. I read both books and Kaplan notes and both of 2 and 3 are lacking a lot of info so what I did is copy and paste those topics that are missing. The only disadvantage with kaplan is too much info for a quick review. So i would suggest do Kaplan OB/Gyn and forget about the other ones and stick to mtv2 and 3. bottom line: do what it takes to get a good score mate.

#12 ·
I am a little confused about the above opinions. Are you guys talking about GY/Ob and peads only?? Im just wondering if you think IM is enough from MTB2 and UW??

Because it is quite clear that nobody agreed GY/OB and peads are written good enough in MTB. Can you guys please tell me what you think?

Thanks

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.