USMLE Forums banner

Genetics question

Tags
genetics-
3K views 10 replies 8 participants last post by  ReggieMiller 
#1 ·
A 25 year old woman presents to your clinic with carcinoma of her right breast. Her sister was also diagnosed with breast carcinoma at age of 28. Her father suffered from myxofibrosarcoma and her younger brother died at age 5 with medulloblastoma. She has a nephew aged 8, who suffers from rhabdomyosarcoma.

This pedigree illustrates

a. genetic heterogenicity
b. incomplete penetrance
c. multifactorial inheritance
d. variable expressivity

#3 ·
well, its just that non of the options make perfect sense. The family is packed with a a bunch of malignancies so I think one of the familial cancer syndromes like Li Freumani Syndrome (p53 mutation) is involved. Therefore I don't think it is multifactorial. But I am confused between a. genetic heterogenicity and b. variable expressivity.

#6 ·
A 25 year old woman presents to your clinic with carcinoma of her right breast. Her sister was also diagnosied with breast carcinoma at age of 28. Her father suffered from myxofibrosarcoma and her younger brother died at age 5 with medulloblastoma. She has a nephew aged 8, who suffers from rhabdomyosarcoma.

This pedigree illustrates

a.genetic heterogenicity
b. incomplete penetrance
c. multifactorial inheritance
d. variable expressivity
I think B is the best option in given scenario

#9 ·
I think it would be variable expressivity
As genetic heterogenicity would be something like different alleles causing single disorder.
Whereas this case look like p53 mutation.
Other options are less probable.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.