USMLE Forums banner

Am I too old to get residency?

Tags
old-grads
3K views 4 replies 4 participants last post by  nsesereso 
#1 ·
Hi all,
I am 31year old I MG , my year of graduation is 2004. Currently in the USA with my husband. He is doing IM residency . Just started preparation for my USMLE and will start by step 2ck next March. I finished 3 y dermatology residency In my country on 2008. I am looking for pediatrics or pathology residency. My question is what do you think about my chances in getting a residency?is it because I am old img my chances may be low? Yet I don't have US lOR or USCE. Any suggestions would be much appreciated.
Could I catch 2013 match or that would be difficult?
Thanks

#2 ·
Being old definitely decreases your chances of getting into residency but it does not make it impossible.

Here's what you should do;

Start doing observership at your husband's residency and get USCE and US LoR and make sure you get high scores in USMLE.

Your husband's hospital should take you next year if you do it right.

-

#3 ·
I know a guy in this forum who was 1999 graduate (my best friend in this forum) who prematched this year. He got 15 interviews. He did more than a year of USCE. If he can get being a graduate of 1999, then surely you can get too. He worked hard and am sure you can too. Good Luck and stay motivated. :)

#5 ·
Doc! U should not be afraid at all. U have more than enough opportunity to get residency. Age counts but older docs with experience like urs count much more. Ur husband's hospital of course is a big plus. His programme director would like to see him up and about his work if ur stress is taken off. All u need now is to hit the exams hard with good score and that would be it.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.