USMLE Forums banner

New Changes to Kaplan 2012 Lecture Notes

18K views 46 replies 26 participants last post by  davidcooper09 
#1 ·
So I have the 2010 videos and PDFs and I have the 2012 hard copy Kaplan Lecture Notes.

After watching some videos I was wondering why they didnt follow the book only to realize that the notes have some changes.

The embryo has some editing done and the anatomy is changed up a LOT!... lot's of toipcs left out and new clinical topics added in.

Now I'm having a dilemna as to which version to use.

I kind of like the 2011 version because it has large headings to help organize stuff, whereas 2012 is more condensed.... but I'm thinking they changed the 2012 books for a reason and there must be important changes.

#3 ·
did they change only antomy or the other book???? i have 2011 edition i buy it b4 a month
btw we r using kaplan lec notes as understand concepts no more am i right ???
So far I did physio which was the same, I started anatom and it was veryy different from 2010, not sure about the 2011 version.

I'm very OCD about what book I use, I spent about the last 3-4 hours just comparing my anatomy 2010 pdf to my 2012 anatomy book. I ended up doing the same thing for physio kaplan and brs.... I HATE when this happens haha, I always end up wasting 3-4 studying days just comparing books or cross referencing too much.

So far I read the 2012 embryo and then ended up reading the 2010 embryo which was the same info but just written out differently. Wasted all day on this.

I will compare the rest of the books tommorow, I left them in my car on purpose so I do not waste all day comparing them, I am going to finish one chapter of kaplan and then will check the rest of the books.

#8 ·
Me too in the same boat....hate 2 cross check the editions as its really taking 2-3 days,n after that,dont feel like studying...mood vanishes..:p then have to start reading..huhh this cross check is a kind of irritating break during the studies...:mad:..O GOD plz help us kill this beast...:sorry::sorry:

#9 ·
Makes me feel normal to know I'm not the only one haha. I actually waste daysss comparing books and spend more time comparing them then reading them.

I wish I had only 1 source per topic and I had no choice but to just do it. I made the mistake of buying every single book you can think of... now I keep comparing them all and each book has strengths and weaknesses so it just confuses me even more.

#19 ·
Hello, I have the blue cover books. 2008-2009.
All of kaplan books differ just a little. They rearrange the content of every subject year by year, but the main content is the same. I have made a big research in forums and got to the next conclusion:
1.- I f you already have you kaplan books, study from that, study the videos that you have, and up date material from last edition of FA, physiology BRS, and the Pathology book of your preference (Golgian or BRS are the best I guess)

2;- If money is not a problem AT ALL, well, buy the new edition if that will make you feel more comfortable.

The most important thing is not what kind of book you study, but who is behind that book studying. It's VERY important that you thrust the material you are studying, you have to believe in it, love it, and make it yours. That way your study agenda will be easier. If you do not thrust the material you are studying you better change it or change your way of thinking about it, because it does not matter how good the material is, if you do not believe it is good enough you will be doubtful all the time, and that will not help your study.

Hope it helps.
Stop worrying, make a study plan, and stick with it. You will ace the exam only that way.
Regards
Jessy

#22 ·
Now please share that....

thinking positively we came to know where they have changed majorly from this discussion. Now anyone please give us what additional material they have added into Anatomy please? give us just the hints or clinical concepts headlines in a short summary...
you are helping the students who have the exam in 2 weeks who cannot compare the editions which takes approx. 2 days:)

#23 ·
Kaplan 2010 Vs 2012

Hello Everyone,
I was wondering if someone came across both 2010 and 2012 lecture notes and videos. Are there major differences?

Also do you recommend Kaplan for all subjects? I am planing on studying FA and solving the USMLE world questions as well...

#31 ·
Oiii!

:notsure:

I have a mix of 2010 and 2011 KLN. My vids are 2011 as well, i think. Now I'm thinking I should just go for it and get the updated things altogether..

Haven't done enough with the books for it to be an issue if I get the new set. Except the cost...sigh....

#34 ·
Kaplan Lecture Notes and Videos

I am 3rd yr Medical students ,,,Heading for the step1 next year in August.... So dunno where to start from ///Can anyone here plzzz help me with Kaplan Lecture notes 2010 pdf files of Anatomy ,,, Microbiology,,,,,and help me with the link for Kaplan videos.....Any efforts to help will be appreciated since i am a newbie ,, in this forum... my email id = kamran.loyola@gmail.com

#35 ·
I am 3rd yr Medical students ,,,Heading for the step1 next year in August.... So dunno where to start from ///Can anyone here plzzz help me with Kaplan Lecture notes 2010 pdf files of Anatomy ,,, Microbiology,,,,,and help me with the link for Kaplan videos.....Any efforts to help will be appreciated since i am a newbie ,, in this forum... my email id = kamran.loyola@gmail.com
I'd go to the Recommended threads I think they have everything u need

search every thing through and know everything before starting ur prep

Good luck

#36 ·
Please guide me...

I also hav Kaplan 2010's LEcture notes and DVDs of 2010...so should i also buy the latest ....2012 version of Kaplan lecture notes and videos??? m now much confused...!!Which book has alot of changes..??please help me and give me some advice..!!!

#43 ·
Thanks alott...

Dear Zehra ,,
Even i hav finally managed to get my Kaplan lecture Notes and Videos 2010along with Goljan Patho ,,, Brs Physio i have the 2012 First Aid version that will compensate every older edition ,,,,
Thanks alott Kamran.loyola ..for ur reply...well i'l also study frm Kaplan LN 2010 n videos 2010...=F.A 2012..i think main thing is UW qbank..what makes u to gain 99..!! wht do u say?? by the way when is ur exam..??
GOOD LUCK for that..
Hope to see ur reply soon..tc.

#39 ·
Hi, Would you mind sharing the PDFs. can you also detail which chapters in Anat are different? I have already finished reading Anat from the 2011 notes so this might help me some.

Thanks.

#42 ·
Kaplan 2010

Hi everyone. Thanx for the informative posts here...
I was confused if I should get 2012 kaplan or 2010...
well judging from the threads here I came to my decision to get 2010. And update my notes with goljan, Uworld, and 2012 FA. for the slides well maybe I will use robbins, and some slides from the net etc.
I'm a bit OC myself when it comes to latest books but I just realized that new books doesn't really guarantee me 100% that I'll pass the exam. I'm learning so much from this forum. Thanx!!! I think I know a bit how to plan my studies now. BTW, I'm an IMG. planning to take step 1 next year maybe on Jan or Feb. :):rolleyes:Happy-2:eek::sleepy: - the smileys are so cute hehe....

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.