USMLE Forums banner

CCS running me crazy!!

1K views 4 replies 4 participants last post by  ag2011n 
#1 ·
I just started preparation for CCS and using the UW CCS to get the hang of it. But things are so confusing. Is there any website/book/anything that explains how this program works?

For example, I had to browse several sites to find out that "continuous" in the order sheet does not mean that the drug is given continuously, it is also used for drugs that have fixed interval dosage!

Another problem is regarding the serial the orders are carried out. For example, in an asthmatic patient, I want to give oxygen and nebulization first and then perform x-ray. So do I have to order oxygen and nebulization, then advance the clock to get them done and then oder x-ray? Or, can I just list all 3 in the order I want them done and advance the clock?

Also, I had ordered IV hydrocortisone just to find out that this is not available. Later the explanation mentioned IV methylprednisolone. So, is there a drug list available?

Thanks in advance.

#2 ·
Basically, is there a list of procedures/interventions/medication/advice/just things that can be done.

While practicing with UW or other CCS programs, it is not possible to check or explore to see what else can be done because time is so short. So a complete list would be very beneficial.

#3 ·
I'm also struggling with CCS, but it gets better once you have done about 15-20 cases.
If u just want to explore the software, download the practice software from usmle website, & do a case in untimed mode. check out stuff at your leisure & see how everything works
I am having time management issues with the 2 minute screen, mostly; & the fact that as soon as the pt gets better, the 2 min screen pops up & you dont get time to change location, or order followup. still cant figure out how to order follow up on the 2 min screen

#4 ·
Archer's review

I just started preparation for CCS and using the UW CCS to get the hang of it. But things are so confusing. Is there any website/book/anything that explains how this program works?

For example, I had to browse several sites to find out that "continuous" in the order sheet does not mean that the drug is given continuously, it is also used for drugs that have fixed interval dosage!

Another problem is regarding the serial the orders are carried out. For example, in an asthmatic patient, I want to give oxygen and nebulization first and then perform x-ray. So do I have to order oxygen and nebulization, then advance the clock to get them done and then oder x-ray? Or, can I just list all 3 in the order I want them done and advance the clock?

Also, I had ordered IV hydrocortisone just to find out that this is not available. Later the explanation mentioned IV methylprednisolone. So, is there a drug list available?

Thanks in advance.
I used Archer's review to begin with.It costed me $88 for 2 weeks I think or may be it was a month.You can check online.They have a live online demo in which you can practice on a case,it too was for almost the same amount and Dr.Red shows you how to work on CCS software using original Usmle CCS software.It was very very helpful.It should clear most of your doubts.Good Luck:)

#5 ·
I used Archer's review to begin with.It costed me $88 for 2 weeks I think or may be it was a month.You can check online.They have a live online demo in which you can practice on a case,it too was for almost the same amount and Dr.Red shows you how to work on CCS software using original Usmle CCS software.It was very very helpful.It should clear most of your doubts.Good Luck:)
So you mean,I have to purchase two programs, or one.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.