USMLE Forums banner

Can I pass ?

4K views 24 replies 7 participants last post by  cearamor 
#1 ·
Hi everyone

I took my CS exam several days ago in Atlanta. I am IMG.

I did not completely finish 4 or 5 cases :eek:. 2 of them, I have already finished my closure and asked" do you have any other questions?", then sp asked a question, when I answered that question, time was over. 2 or 3 of them, I have already gaven my DDx and work up, but I have not yet checked"patient understanding", "agreement" or said "do you have any other questions?", maybe 2-3 words left, time was over.

otherwise I feel ok, cases were not difficult, my spoken english is good, I did not meet difficult sp, most of them gave me a smile when I left, whatever I finish it or not.

can I still pass it ? I feel scared. Can anyone give me some comments. Thanks a lot.

#2 ·
Hi everyone

I did not completely finish 4 or 5 cases :eek:. 2 of them, I have already finished my closure and asked" do you have any other questions?", then sp asked a question, when I answered that question, time was over. 2 or 3 of them, I have already gaven my DDx and work up, but I have not yet checked"patient understanding", "agreement" or said "do you have any other questions?", maybe 2-3 words left, time was over.

otherwise I feel ok, cases were not difficult, my spoken english is good, I did not meet difficult sp, most of them gave me a smile when I left, whatever I finish it or not.

can I still pass it ? I feel scared. Can anyone give me some comments. Thanks a lot.
these are nothing,

you will remember more soon

#4 ·
Thanks for your post! I also took it on Atlanta May 17th. And had the same kind of problem, couldn't finish the closing/counseling in 3-4 cases. The main point for me is that I was being overdetailled on the explanation of the plan and so I was running short on the counseling part. Also, got interrupted after counseling during a challenging question. So, if you pass I'll pass!! Than, let's pray man.. I took Ximedus and the guys there were very very demanding and perfectionists so maybe that's why I'm so scared, because according to their standards I'd be on a borderline performance in that case..

#5 ·
Hi everyone

Are you expecting the results tomorrow? I mean, did you wrote the exam before may 18th?

#12 ·
Also, lost a lot of time during the PE doing stuff not necessarily relevant for the case, like doing full abdomnal in a Neuro case.. I don't know why I did that, I was in autopilot during the some of the PE and when I noticed I was rushing in time doing unnecessary stuff.. In my note, I forget to put a lot of details in the HPI or PE, because I was so nervous that my calligraphy was awful and I could barely understand what I wrote and that ate some precious seconds, making me leaving some information of the HPI and PE missing, but the basic stuff was there..

#14 ·
Psst.. I didn't finish 6/12 cases, and also forgot A LOT of stuff.. I got cut off during the counselling or challenging question because i talked too much.. Also acted like an autopilot during PE. But I passed CS with higher performance rating in all criteria. I'm sure you did your best, and that's all that matters now. No one can do a perfect run. Best thing you can do now is to pray, forget CS (I know it will be hard), and enjoy your life, or focus on more important things like perhaps another exam. I'm sure you'll do great. :D

#16 ·
I think you'll be fine. I wasn't able to address all the SP questions in 2-4 cases too. But I passed comfortably. As long you answered at least 1 question you'll get credit for that part. Even if you didn't answer any questions you'll still get credit for the other parts that are graded in CIS. Remember your final grade is an average of the all the encounters.

#18 ·
From what you told us, I think you will be fine. Of course we can't judge other things you did (note, communication skills) but I don't think that it matters that you did not finish all your cases. Sounds like you did all the important things!! I also got cut off twice and passed. I really don't think this will be an issue for you. Good luck and let us know once you find out!!

Reactions: huddinge
#20 ·
Hi thanks all for sincere replies.

May I ask another question ?

After I gave my work up plan ( imaging, blood, urine etc). i only said" then I can have a better idea of what is going on " or "better idea of exactly what is causing your problem."

But I did not mention any treatment plans or never said " we can discuss the test results and treatment plans".

did I lose points ?

Thanks again.

#21 ·
Hi thanks all for sincere replies.

May I ask another question ?

After I gave my work up plan ( imaging, blood, urine etc). i only said" then I can have a better idea of what is going on " or "better idea of exactly what is causing your problem."

But I did not mention any treatment plans or never said " we can discuss the test results and treatment plans".

did I lose points ?

Thanks again.
Dude, what I've learned from the people who passed is that what matters in this test is the fluidity of your encounter, even if you forgot some minor tests or said something wrong, if this was something that didn't hurt that fluidity I will probably be fine.. I was really nervous last tuesday expecting the result, but not getting it was important for me to remember that my big picture was OK, and I hope that this is what counts!!
I've talked to some people that failed at the CIS part, some of them recognized that they were acting a little bit robotic, with blunted empathy, not responding to the SPs emotions with emotions, but instead with a memorized sentence like that of CSEVideos "I'm sorry to hear this, blah blah blah".. I think that would be a red flag.. So, the way you've said your sentence is not a major concern, what would be of more importance is if it sounded natural or not..

#23 ·
Dude... I passeddddddd!!!!! You know what this mean??? This mean that you'll pass too, comfortably!!! Relaxxx now, my friend!!! I have exactly the same experience you had!!!

Hi everyone

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.