USMLE Forums banner

ujustgotdoctored CS experience

8K views 2 replies 3 participants last post by  Usmle9999 
#1 ·
first just want to say i PASSED!!

i really have no clue how... incredible amount of mistakes. ill list the ones i remember. If i remember more then ill write them down:

- didnt do a full neuro exam... when i checked for cranial nerves i somehow forgot to check all 12 in like 2/3 cases i felt was warranted :eek: . I would do stupid things like if i checked for motor i would forget to check for sensitivity and/or reflexes. Or check one leg not the other.

- i figured out what somebody had in the first 2 mins then when it came to the PE. i only did one test that confirmed it AND NOTHING ELSE (like no cardiac, resp, or neuro). just walked right out the room after the closure haha

- i missed important question related to what the pt had in pretty much all the cases (i guess thats normal though reading other experiences)

- I didnt do a proper back pain examination in anybody (i somehow had 3 cases)

honestly i feel like there were a lot more but its a long time from early july to remember all of them.

word of advice...
- DONT TAKE THIS TEST LIGHTLY... i know ppl on the forums say its not bad and stuff and it isnt. if u studied for >3weeks i doubt it would be that bad too. I practiced and read FA stupidly for only 5 days (with helping out my partner for 14 days previously) before I took this test because I thought it would be easy. I ended up borderline in ICE and CIS. i moved to US when i was 7 so my english is really good (grammar is terrible :p) and i repeat i was borderline in CIS and ICE. This test isnt a gimme anymore like it was before. study for it properly like u would for any board exam.

-Patient notes seems to be the killer for most ppl (ICE). If your taking the test u need to perfect it. I wrote mine as '50 yr old male presents with.... CC, then description of the CC, pertinent positives first then pertinent negatives'. they dont need an essay, just something short and sweet that explains why you came to ur first diagnosis.

As I said before dont take this test lightly english speaking or not. Its a board exam... study like it is. if anybody has questions let me know.

See less See more
#3 ·
I want to know few things about patient note, if u can help me
can I write my history in this way
HPI-
ROS- negative except as noted above
PMHx- hospitalized for pneumonia 5 years ago, no surgeries
ALLERGIES- NKA ; MEDICATION- none ; FHx- none
SHx- this includes both social and sexual history

and in physical examination
VS-WNL
CHEST- CTA bilaterally (clear to auscultation)
HEART- RRR, S1 & S2-normal no M/G/R (murmur, gallop and rubs)
is it ok to write like this??

for differential diagnosis..do we have to write 3 DD for all cases? can 2DD for few cases be enough?? and is it necessary to include positive history and physical exam finding for all DD we mention? I mean I am able to type PN in 10 min which includes history, P/E, workup, n DD names only w/o positive history n PE finding.
my exam is on 28 October
thanx:)

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.