USMLE Forums banner

tired of people posting high scores and saying there not satisfied with it lol

3K views 15 replies 11 participants last post by  blackychen 
#1 ·
I'm seriously tired of people posting very good step scores and then complaining they are not satisfied with it. I don't know if you're trolling or being honest but please do some research and talk to your classmates before posting here. It really discourages fellow students studying for this exam. No need to burst bubbles lol.

#3 ·
and that is why marks alone should never be the judge of how good a doctor someone will make..a good personality matters more

however our education system is totally flawed...if step 1 score is the most imp determinant of ur education career, its not surprising that we only hear about happy 250s n 260s n 'sad' stories of people with lesser scores.

i have rarely come across with nyone even mentioning their less than 230 score on these forums or talking of their preparation and exam.

#5 ·
Never feel discourage. Even if you pass by one point; you still did an excellent job and the most importantly, you pass. USA is not small country. There's a lot of space out there. It's your job to find that space that is yours to begin with.

Like I have said earlier, regardless your low step 1 score that you passed; you still have 2ck, 2cs, and 3 to go. So, if you got 200, which means that you passed, there's no need to be ashamed of. You pass you pass. Now move on to next stage of your career.

Last thing I want to point out is that not everyone is perfect in test taking skills. You just got to keep on practicing over and over.

#6 ·
Never feel discourage. Even if you pass by one point; you still did an excellent job and the most importantly, you pass. USA is not small country. There's a lot of space out there. It's your job to find that space that is yours to begin with.

Like I have said earlier, regardless your low step 1 score that you passed; you still have 2ck, 2cs, and 3 to go. So, if you got 200, which means that you passed, there's no need to be ashamed of. You pass you pass. Now move on to next stage of your career.

Last thing I want to point out is that not everyone is perfect in test taking skills. You just got to keep on practicing over and over.
i agree.
btw, r u turkish?

#10 ·
it is worse on usmleforum.com and there are so many fake ids there posting more than once (ie once in 2011 once in 2012 etc) that they have got 230+ and are depressed etc etc... all those crap make me want to study harder and send those jealous bastards down!!!!

let's do it guys! to be honest the best way is to stick to ur plan!!!:D:D

#11 ·
it is worse on usmleforum.com and there are so many fake ids there posting more than once (ie once in 2011 once in 2012 etc) that they have got 230+ and are depressed etc etc... all those crap make me want to study harder and send those jealous bastards down!!!!

let's do it guys! to be honest the best way is to stick to ur plan!!!:D:D
yeah i agree with you, their "experience" only strength me and make me wanna get a higher score, somehow not discouraging? lol even though i know i am not a 240 guy but i will just try my best to get at least 220 and hopefully i can achieve this and share some "real" experience and help someone later..:)

#13 ·
with exam in less than 2 weeks, I still follow this forum readin exam experiences. Of course some are annoying. I just figured out readin others experiences and knowing their scores is not helpful in anyways. THIER plan might not workout fr us and all of us are not the same. we have our own way of studying.. this just adds to the exam stress. so just ignore them .!

#14 ·
I am glad you touched on this topic.

Always remember that this is a skewed distribution. When you see so many of 240s+ and less of 220. It means only those getting those high scores are posting it not necessarily a representation of the total population.

DO YOUR BEST and STUDY, Not everyone will get a 230-260. You might feel like you studied your butt off and only get a 200. Be proud of your score and be proud that you defeated this beast. The U.S medical system is flawed because it often bases Step 1 score over alot of things and we see students killing themselves and depressed over their scores. But it is really not everything, your future is not determined by one score. It all start first with your mindset and your willingness to overcome setbacks.

And for those posting high scores and sad that o " do i have a chance"...or "should i give up"....it sure does piss me of, but i am not one bit discouraged because i am not them. Everyone is different, we all went to different schools, retained things differently, some had better advantage that others, some just flat out studied their butt of more that others, while SOME did study their butts off but still not evidence of it. Step 1 is so much more about endurance/persistence then intelligence.

SO THIS IS FOR THOSE WHO study day and night, trying to pass their NBMEs, discouraged from forgetting things they learned yesterday, seeing 250s and this forum and feeling down because that score is too far fetched for them. For those who have studied everything out of the recommended books, qbanks, etc and still see no improvement. Keep on keeping on.

I am in my last lap of my prep and if i tell you my story you will be shocked. But i hope to rize above this exam and post on this forum with my proud, 200, 210, 220,230....what ever score it might be. Because i know i have more in me than just a Step 1 to get me into residency. I have the attitude, heart and mind for medicine and i will never let an exam destroy that.

KEEP STUDYING GUYS, DO YOUR BEST.
All you 230s and 240s plus guys and girls keep kicking butts
And all you 190s and 200s keep your head up and keep pushing on. Its not over till YOU say its over.

Thanks

#15 ·
I am glad you touched on this topic.

Always remember that this is a skewed distribution. When you see so many of 240s+ and less of 220. It means only those getting those high scores are posting it not necessarily a representation of the total population.

DO YOUR BEST and STUDY, Not everyone will get a 230-260. You might feel like you studied your butt off and only get a 200. Be proud of your score and be proud that you defeated this beast. The U.S medical system is flawed because it often bases Step 1 score over alot of things and we see students killing themselves and depressed over their scores. But it is really not everything, your future is not determined by one score. It all start first with your mindset and your willingness to overcome setbacks.

And for those posting high scores and sad that o " do i have a chance"...or "should i give up"....it sure does piss me of, but i am not one bit discouraged because i am not them. Everyone is different, we all went to different schools, retained things differently, some had better advantage that others, some just flat out studied their butt of more that others, while SOME did study their butts off but still not evidence of it. Step 1 is so much more about endurance/persistence then intelligence.

SO THIS IS FOR THOSE WHO study day and night, trying to pass their NBMEs, discouraged from forgetting things they learned yesterday, seeing 250s and this forum and feeling down because that score is too far fetched for them. For those who have studied everything out of the recommended books, qbanks, etc and still see no improvement. Keep on keeping on.

I am in my last lap of my prep and if i tell you my story you will be shocked. But i hope to rize above this exam and post on this forum with my proud, 200, 210, 220,230....what ever score it might be. Because i know i have more in me than just a Step 1 to get me into residency. I have the attitude, heart and mind for medicine and i will never let an exam destroy that.

KEEP STUDYING GUYS, DO YOUR BEST.
All you 230s and 240s plus guys and girls keep kicking butts
And all you 190s and 200s keep your head up and keep pushing on. Its not over till YOU say its over.

Thanks
Wow!! you sound like a 240/250 kind of a person to me..thats very motivating though..i mean, I was extremely worried when I got my results (224) but my husband(an attending) and sis in law (chief resident in internal med dept in a really good hospital) don't understand why I'm soooo upset. Well, I'm one of those "what are my chances" people myself..Everyone made me feel like its a very bad score and I don't stand a chance unless I do rotations from really good hospitals..But from my understanding (and a lot of research), you don't essentially need such great scores and rotations for IM..No offence, but all the people who made me feel like a loser, I think its time for a reality check!!

P.S-that's when the "what are my chances" personality kicks in and tells me I may be wrong..May be i am, but let's see..Good luck to everyone!!

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.