USMLE Forums banner

2014 Neurology Residency Matching Applicants

99K views 381 replies 34 participants last post by  rafe15 
#1 ·
This threads is dedicated for Neurology 2014 Match Applicants.

You can share how you are preparing for the Neuro Residency Matching.

You can also later share your news of getting interviews and/or rejections and anything related to your Neurology Residency Application this matching season 2013-2014.

It would be appreciated if you also mention your credentials in the following format
Step 1 Score (attempt number)/Step 2 CK Score (attempt number)/Step 2 CS pass (attempt number)/Graduation Year/USCE yes or no/Visa requirement (J1, H1B, Not needed, ..etc)

Examples
-230(1)/213(2)/CS(1)/2007/No USCE/J1
-245(2)/235(1)/CS(2)/2005/USCE, three months externship/GC
-255(1)/254(1)/CS(not yet)/2010/No USCE/US Citizen

Previous Years Links:
- http://www.usmle-forums.com/img-res...-neurology-residency-matching-applicants.html
- http://www.usmle-forums.com/img-res...-neurology-residency-matching-applicants.html

---

See less See more
#3 ·
260(1)/252(1)/Pass(1)/2010(Europe)/clinical research in a US university since 2011/No visa needed.

Side notes:
- enrolled in a PhD program at my original med school w/ anticipated grad in spring 2014.
- currently 7 publications in pubmed (will be >10 by end of the year), all in neuro.
- >6 poster presentations.
- participated in weekly neurological conferences at the hospital but no direct observership done yet (planning to shadow with some of the physicians I'm collaborating with)
- US. LORs: didn't start asking but I work with 2 clinical and 1 research neurologists, and also with a neuroradiologist and a neurosurgeon.

I don't think shadowing would really improve my application. Maybe doing some volunteership would help more. What do you think?
I work full-time anyway, and been tired of prepping for USMLE being my "second job", so I don't want to overdo any of the above.

#10 ·
Please help me and let me know if my profile is ok for neuro

Step 1 237 1st attempt
step2 225 1st attempt
step 3 217 1st attempt
CS pass 1st attempt

YOG: 2010 october

4 Months externships in IM and

2months obsie in medical oncology and Nephrology.

I just go into research , Sleep medicine Neurology. May have couple publications by november.

please give ur opinions. thanks a lot guys.

#11 ·
215(1)/220(1)/CS(1)/2011/8 months Observership, 5 month research as research assistant (both done in a good Neuro University program) /H1

I am currently working as research assistant on full time basis on a big neurology/neurosurgery research paper studying a cohort of 47 patients who went through surgery in the past 12 years in this 15th ranked neurology program. Sadly, this university based program does not take FMGs. My scores are low so i am backing it up with a lot of academic activity.
I am submitting 2 case reports, 1 research Abstract , 2 review articles, 1 research manuscript all as first author in journals with >4 impact factor as first author. I have submitted most of these articles and I will submit some till August.
I will definitely get published for 3 of the above papers till September 15th.
I am also doing a poster for my research as first author in December.
I am aiming to take step 3 in december. I will have 3 LORs from neurology attendings and two from IM (for my prelim)
I have no idea about my chances, I am just working my a** off since more than a year to overcome my scores.

#13 ·
Step 1 218 1st attempt
Step2 233 1st attempt
CS pass 1st attempt

YOG: May 2014

All USCE
US citizen

2 years US research with one first author publication.

Neuro is really my only choice so I'm praying I'm competitive enough to get a few interviews. There are a lot of amazing applicants here and I hope that there's enough spots for all of us.

#14 ·
What do you guys think my chances are??

Step 1: 235
Step 2 ck: 229
step 2 cs: passed on first attempt
1 pubmed publication
Graduated in 2010, have 1 month us clinical experience from med school clerkship in neurology, with a letter of recommendation from the attending neurologist. I completed a 1 year mandatory internship (completed in 2011) in my home country and have worked both full time and part time in the ER in my country
What do u guys think are my chances of matching into neuro??

#19 ·
How many prelim IM programs to apply to have a good chance?

how many prelim IM programs should we apply in general to have a good chance? can you all share how many programs u applied?

I selected 80 neuro programs .

27 are advanced , they require prelim .

i applied for 45 prelim IM .

Thankq all.

#20 ·
how many prelim IM programs should we apply in general to have a good chance? can you all share how many programs u applied?

I selected 80 neuro programs .

27 are advanced , they require prelim .

i applied for 45 prelim IM .

Thankq all.
About 27 advanced neuro on my side, 42 prelims. I went for prelims at the universities of the prelims, and programs with at least 8 prelim positions.

#26 ·
I received a message from Case Western:

"Your application has been received and has gone through the 1st review
process. The Review Committee will again be reviewing applications at a later
date and if you are chosen to interview, we will be in contact with you.
During this time of year, I receive more e-mails and phone calls that I can
keep up. I can assure you that after your documents go through the 2nd review
process I will be in touch with you. We wish you good luck during this match
season."

#35 ·
IV

I got one IV and 6 rejections!!!!! so far.
I chose the date and confirmed IV date at the same day they sent me an email. I really need to change the date, did any of you have experience of that nature, or heard from seniors? Please let me know! :notsure:

#36 · (Edited)
I got one IV and 6 rejections!!!!! so far.
I chose the date and confirmed IV date at the same day they sent me an email. I really need to change the date, did any of you have experience of that nature, or heard from seniors? Please let me know! :notsure:
It depends wether they have iv. dates free or not. Also, if your reason to change date is reasonable, they should accept it. If it's something like you couldn't get a cheaper ticket or something, then it's a different situation...

#38 ·
Chill guys, we gonna do it!!!

215(1)/250(1)/CS(1)/218(1)/2012/noUSCE,but worked in hospital settings in US for a decade/UScitizen
working as research assistant at university hospital (Neurosciences).
Will have two publications by the end of the year.
I have unique personal story connected to Neurology, if I go through the filters then would definitely get IV. My step 1 and 3 suck big time!!!!:eek:
Applied very carefully, I'm also older and went to med school in Europe in my 30s:redcheeks;
Not changing IV date, going to suck it up guys!:D
I'm hoping for couple of more IVs !!!:plz:
Keep posted neuro babies;)! We will all rock!:happy:

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.