USMLE Forums banner

2014 General Surgery Residency Matching Applicants

134K views 477 replies 50 participants last post by  SohaibGandapur 
#1 ·
This threads is dedicated for General Surgery 2014 Match Applicants.

You can share how you are preparing for the General Surgery Residency Matching.

You can also later share your news of getting interviews and/or rejections and anything related to your General Surgery Residency Application this matching season 2013-2014.

It would be appreciated if you also mention your credentials in the following format
Step 1 Score (attempt number)/Step 2 CK Score (attempt number)/Step 2 CS pass (attempt number)/Graduation Year/USCE yes or no/Visa requirement (J1, H1B, Not needed, ..etc)

Examples
-230(1)/213(2)/CS(1)/2007/No USCE/J1
-245(2)/235(1)/CS(2)/2005/USCE, three months externship/GC
-255(1)/254(1)/CS(not yet)/2010/No USCE/US Citizen

Previous Years Links:
- http://www.usmle-forums.com/img-res...al-surgery-residency-matching-applicants.html
- http://www.usmle-forums.com/img-res...al-surgery-residency-matching-applicants.html

---

See less See more
#3 · (Edited)
IMG, Ultimate goal is gonna be Ophthalmology
Will apply for Preliminary surgery only
-240(1)/257(1)/CS(1)/2012/1 Month USCE clinical elective/J1. WIll take Step 3 on September (aiming for anything above 240).
-1 abstract that I took part in at Mayo.

WIll start research in Bascom Palmer this September in the Area of Ocular Oncology

#4 ·
Finally found one for Gen Surgery

My Profile:

Step 1: 253 (1)
Step 2 CK: 265 (1)
Step 2 CS: Pass (1)
Step 3: Oct/Nov 2013.
Graduation Year: 2008
USCE: 12 weeks
Visa requirement: H1B preferably/ J1
LoR: 3 promised, none given by the attendings I did USCE with. :(
Research: None

I am applying for Gen Surgery Categorical.

Can anyone tell me what are my chances?
Also can soemone clarify what my chances of continuing in Gen Surgery are if I match into a preliminary position?

#5 ·
My Profile:

Step 1: 253 (1)
Step 2 CK: 265 (1)
Step 2 CS: Pass (1)
Step 3: Oct/Nov 2013.
Graduation Year: 2008
USCE: 12 weeks
Visa requirement: H1B preferably/ J1
LoR: 3 promised, none given by the attendings I did USCE with. :(
Research: None

I am applying for Gen Surgery Categorical.

Can anyone tell me what are my chances?
Also can soemone clarify what my chances of continuing in Gen Surgery are if I match into a preliminary position?
categorical is tuff without contacts and research but prelim to general possible easily but dont rank high universities as they have many empty prelim surgery spots but they wont take you for categorical next year . rank small community hospitals that take low scoring amgs , impress them with your work in prelim becoz out of 4-5 prelims only 1 or 2 get extended , so it depends on your hard work and contact making skill during prelim and some luck . but its doable . good luck

#10 ·
Thank you so much.

So is it not an absolute necessity to submit LoRs with the application?

Another doubt:

Do we have to apply separately for Prelim and Categorical for same program?

If I apply for categorical can I still be offered a prelim position?

#11 ·
Thank you so much.

So is it not an absolute necessity to submit LoRs with the application?

Another doubt:

Do we have to apply separately for Prelim and Categorical for same program?

If I apply for categorical can I still be offered a prelim position?
no no , lors are an absolute requirement , no one will call you if a usa doc cannot support you. and yes you need to apply separately for them .

#12 ·
Hello,

I am Canadian medical student planning to apply for both categorical and preliminary surgery positions. I would like to know what you guys think – should I apply now or wait until next year? I know my chances for a categorical position are slim, however, it won't hurt to try. I am interested in completing a 1 year surgical pre-lim as I think ,when I apply for a PGY-2 position, the 1 year + 1 month USCE + research + good scores + US LORs will help make me a more well rounded candidate for categorical. Thanks.

- 257(1)/254(2)/CS(1)/June 2014/No USCE/J1
- Will have a 1 month US surgical elective in march 2014 (so unfortunately, it won't count for this match)
- Will have at least 2 co-authored publications by the end of the year (again not sure if this will count) + some editorial stuff I did for a medical journal.
- I have LORs from Canadian doctors as well as Canadian clinical experience (I attend a non-LCME school)

#15 ·
-226(1)/243(1)/CS(1)/2008/3 Months USCE /J1.

I have one publication, the other one is coming soon, and ongoing research. All of my LoRs are waived (Including 2 US LoRs).

#19 ·
Update

2 of my waived LoRs have been uploaded by US Surgeons.
I added my Dean's Letter as 3rd LoR.

Now I'm confused which programs to apply to because I need visa.

#22 ·
I am a UK grad, applying for both categorical and prelim General Surgery programs.

Here are my credentials:

239(1) / 250(1) / CS(1) / 2012 / 2 months USCE / visa needed

4 LoRs (2 from the attendings I worked with during my USCE, 2 from faculty members from my home institution in the UK (one of whom is the Chair of Surgery) -all waived)

7 peer-reviewed publications (all with Pubmed IDs - although most of these are not in high impact-factor journals!)
9 presentations (mostly at conferences in the UK - 2 at international conferences in Europe)

Keeping my fingers crossed!

#30 ·
I got rejection from Carilion too.
What is strange is that they say all their positions are reserved and their waiting list is filled too...
Then what are they doing with both their tracks active on ERAS? Wasting our money?

I'm just really angry :mad:

#33 ·
So 3 programs retrieved my application on Saturday. That makes it about 50% applications retrieved.

If any of my attendings are ready to make a call to any programs. what info should I give them?

Hopefully Monday brings some better news and interviews. :plz::plz::plz:

#45 ·
Another quiet day at the Inbox! Only 13 more programs left to download application but no news.

So frustrating!

#50 ·
You should if you have assigned it to them.

BTW anyone here get a California Letter? I haven't applied to California programs because of that but I want to know how much time it will take. If it can be done before application deadlines, I can apply to 2-3 more programs.

Thanks.

Reactions: Dr. Mexito
#51 ·
A whole week with just the rotten mail from Carilion Clinic staring back at me...
It's so depressing. :toosad:
Is anyone getting anything in GS?

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.