USMLE Forums banner

2014 Family Medicine Residency Matching Applicants

Tags
fm-match
146K views 493 replies 66 participants last post by  beingpatient14 
#1 ·
This threads is dedicated for Family Medicine 2014 Match Applicants.

You can share how you are preparing for the Family Medicine Residency Matching.

You can also later share your news of getting interviews and/or rejections and anything related to your Family Medicine Residency Application this matching season 2013-2014.

It would be appreciated if you also mention your credentials in the following format
Step 1 Score (attempt number)/Step 2 CK Score (attempt number)/Step 2 CS pass (attempt number)/Graduation Year/USCE yes or no/Visa requirement (J1, H1B, Not needed, ..etc)

Examples
-230(1)/213(2)/CS(1)/2007/No USCE/J1
-245(2)/235(1)/CS(2)/2005/USCE, three months externship/GC
-255(1)/254(1)/CS(not yet)/2010/No USCE/US Citizen

Previous Years Links:
- http://www.usmle-forums.com/img-res...y-medicine-residency-matching-applicants.html
- http://www.usmle-forums.com/img-res...y-medicine-residency-matching-applicants.html

---

See less See more
#8 ·
FM

So this is long and I need an honest

My husband is applying this year for 2014 match. His scores include 221/208 however 3 weeks ago we learned he failed his CS. the earliest date we could find is January. Other then this, he has USCE in psychiatry, anesthesia, and in medicine. He also has an upcoming observership with a hospital in January. He does not require a visa as he is a green card holder.

Now my question is he is applying to IM, FM, and psychiatry. What are his chances, where should he apply most, and if he doesn't match how should he plan this upcoming year? We loaded all the programs from match a resident due to this attempt.

Please help. And information would be extremely useful.

#44 ·
So this is long and I need an honest

My husband is applying this year for 2014 match. His scores include 221/208 however 3 weeks ago we learned he failed his CS. the earliest date we could find is January. Other then this, he has USCE in psychiatry, anesthesia, and in medicine. He also has an upcoming observership with a hospital in January. He does not require a visa as he is a green card holder.

Now my question is he is applying to IM, FM, and psychiatry. What are his chances, where should he apply most, and if he doesn't match how should he plan this upcoming year? We loaded all the programs from match a resident due to this attempt.

Please help. And information would be extremely useful.
I did the same. I subscribed to match-a-resident all specialty progs. but you must double check their info against FREIDA and also against the program website themselves. many times, match a resident, freida, and the prog website have differing info regarding their selection criteria. which one is really updated and which one to follow is really confusing. most of the times, you end up guessing it yourself.

what I did is to look through each prog's selection criteria in all these resources and created my list of progs to apply to. I chose those whose selection criteria meet my credentials but also applied to those which nearly although not exactly match my credentials.

i only used match a resident as a guide to see whether the list i created based from freida and the prog website covers most of the recommended progs from match a resident.

good luck:)

#10 ·
@Summer20

As an IMG, it will be tough for him to apply without a passed CS result especially after he failed. January is too late to apply in my opinion, unless he has strong connections to a hospital and that hospital is willing to wait for him.

Like what winner09 said, it is best if he strengthens his application. I would advice that he choose just 1 specialty and focus on that. Spreading out an application will make it weak.

I think your husband may have a better chance in FM or psych. A friend of mine with similar scores, no failed attempts, 4 months hands-on USCE, and GC-holder applied extensively to both FM and IM (350 programs). Got 10 interviews each. He ranked IM programs highly, but he matched in FM. A couple of GC holders told me that even for immigrants, without the right credentials, IM can be tough to get into. But of course, if you want to give IM a shot, go for it.

Good luck! All the best!

#11 ·
Got it. So it's best if he strengthens his application and works on gaining more experience. We are still looking for an earlier date. He graduated in 2007. He has an observership scheduled with a hospital in January for two months and also I believe he found more hospitals to apply to for the observership; he just has to make some calls to gather their information. He is definitely looking to spend this year in gaining more USCE and toward his step 3

#13 ·
204(1)/227(1)/CS(1)/2007/PhD in Epidemiology/5 months observership/1 year hospital research/2 conference posters/J1/Applied 80 FM programs only, most are downloaded but no interview offers yet :) When can FMGs expect to have the first IV invitation in FM?
Anh

#14 ·
IMG (China) // US Citizen
Step 1: 202
Step 2CK: 203
Step 2CS: Pass
All 1st attempt.
Graduation date: 2012
1yr research but no publications (so not much meaning)
1yr+ combined observer experience (2 LORs from those experiences)
130~ programs: 1st time applying

what ya'll think? :) Any suggestions as what to do if this is not a good app? more programs? apply to psych? plz advise =)

#27 ·
a little bit impatient

Hi everyone ,I am finding it very difficult to just sit in front of the computer waiting for interviews! :plz:
My credentials: 218(1)/ CK results tomorrow/CS pass(1)/USCE 2 month observerships/2 US LORs-1 UK LOR/Need visa.
So far 2 rejections (South Nassau, Northern New Mexico):scared:

I am wondering what are you guys doing (observership/externership/working/studying) while waiting for interviews??
I am studying for step 3 (difficult to concentrate!) and looking for a flexible job...

#28 ·
My friends and myself have not heard from any programs, either. FM programs are more likely to look at the whole application package (especially the CV and PS) to see our commitment to the specialty. USMLE scores alone do not guarantee IVs. That's why we might not hear from them as early as other specialties. I do not know if they wait for MSPE which will be released on Oct 1.

Reactions: step1saga
#29 ·
I havent heard any of my friends getting FM interviews either. Mostly IM.
I think FM def waits for MSPE because like you said its the whole package, they really want to see your patient interaction, and so Deans letter does reflect a lot. Although I feel after tomorrow we might start hearing more.

#32 ·
1st rejection from Providence St Peter today. The positive sign is that programs start to send out something. Does anyone know if programs send IV offers 1st then rejections later or vice versa or randomly?

#46 ·
Hey everyone,
im a newbie here.
good luck to all who have applied and i hope everyone makes it to their dream!
my stats are below. i applied to both IM and FM. i think my app has insufficient clinical experience to for FM and insufficient scores for IM.
honestly, i would be thrilled wherever i match so hopefully something will work out.

tuananhbsdk- i got the same rejection and also had the same question to ask hehe.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.