USMLE Forums banner

December 18th, 2013; Step 1 Exam Results Thread

21K views 107 replies 25 participants last post by  CisternaChyli 
#1 ·
who is expecting their result on 18 december? i gave my exam on 27 november

#99 ·
I'm a bit embarrassed of writing that among all those kind of scores, but since this community is about sharing and helping each other, I want to write something, because I need a bit of help too...

I failed.
179 is my score.

I can't actually say it was completely unexpected because I really studied it badly, but I was hoping for something between 210-220 (my UWSA scores...).
I probably underrated the difficulty of this exam.
I was too self confident about my preparation and instead of focusing only on my step1 I managed to take other exams of my university (since I am still not graduated), because I was more worried to graduate in late.
I completely miss my priorities.

Anyway, it's all experience, I grown up a little bit more.

Now, here are the questions I need you to answer to in order to get up again:

- Would have been better to pass with a low score (like 200-210) instead of fail?
- I know that my failure will always be an indelible mark, but will I still be able to match if I retake step1?
- Do you know someone who matched even with a failure? If yes, how were their scores? (even links of threads would be appreciated)
- Do you think doing again UW Qbank would be useful (I did it only once, 2 months ago)? Or I should do something else just to don't have the impression to be stucked in somewhere? How is USMLE Rx? Any study plan advice is welcome.

I want to end my post with these words that are giving me the strenght to don't give up, maybe they will be useful for those (hope anyone) who will end up in a situation like mine:

I've missed more than 9000 shots in my career. I've lost almost 300 games. 26 times, I've been trusted to take the game winning shot and missed. I've failed over and over and over again in my life. And that is why I succeed.
Read more at http://www.brainyquote.com/quotes/quotes/m/michaeljor127660.html#2P4IDrqkGReMbzmm.99
"I've missed more than 9000 shots in my career. I've lost almost 300 games. 26 times, I've been trusted to take the game winning shot and missed. I've failed over and over and over again in my life. And that is why I succeed." Michael Jordan

anyway, great job to everyone here who aced the exam! you did really a big thing. good luck with everything! :)

#101 ·
Hey... keep your head up. This might be a setback, but nothing should stop you from achieving your goal. I sadly don't have any advice to give you, as my scores aren't back yet... but I do appreciate how brave it was to be honest with this forum and tell your score.

From everything I've heard, there will be a lot of programs that will not take applications from people who have failed the step I. I think there are a few companies that specialize in generating targeted lists for students based on their performance. I'm totally blanking on the name, but I know I've seen one company that does this.

You just have to come back and ace this thing. Prove it was a fluke... then go forth and beat Step II.

Easier said than done, I know... but if it were easy, everyone would be doing this!

Best of luck :)

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.