USMLE Forums banner

January 2014 Step 2 CK Takers

71K views 1K replies 56 participants last post by  tamta 
#1 ·
finished with goofing around after step 1.

planning 4 months prep time.

skipping videos and KLN (maybe) :confused:
for now going through Kaplan Q bank. 60-70% so far. along with first read of MTB2. + STEP UP. Will start doing annotations.
After finishing first read ---> UW ---> then plan according to scores.

anyone who recently started for CK or still goofing around JOIN let's do it quickly and efficiently

#2 ·
I too am goofing around. My strategy is a bit diff so not sure if we could plan n keep up with each other. I'm doin Kaplan + mtb + mksap4(this is only for medicine) Then I will do Kaplan q bank followed by second round of Kaplan + mtb before starting uworld.
Last stage of cramming mtb and doing self assessments.

#3 ·
Hey I stated recently, just like you I was debating weather or not to use kaplan notes, in the end I decided not to... but I am doing the Kaplan Videos with MTB 2 and MTB 3

I have finished around 2/3rd of IM, will finish it by the 14th of this month...

Which is the best Qbank other than Uworld, I still am trying to decide on my 2nd Qbank...

#5 ·
This is the first time that I am hearing of mksap 4. checked it out online.... I will keep it in mind as i move forward, I want a Qbank that covers all subjects....

I have heard from a lot of people and like you said Kaplan Qbank has a lot of low yeild stuff, but I think that it is important to cover the low yield topics at least once since I will not be using Kaplan Notes... so Kaplan Q bank is my 2nd Qbank

#9 ·
Kaplan Q bank is a nice way to find yourslef through long boring questions. I like it, although im getting so bored during questions that if i didnt do it in a timed manner sometimes i think i can never get to the end of block. i dont suffer myself on explanations, so its just very nice way of practice for CK. because this exam is all about endurance, and timing.

did infectious questions yesterday 137 of them. have read just MTB very quickly for infectious skipped antibiotics because i have gone through them like on the first day after step1. percentages were in three blocks 54% 46% and 65%. all the wrong questions were about Antibiotics.
so idea is that for sure we need to do some reading just can't decide which one. my friend is doing KLNs thoroughly, he sais " of course there is info in there but its not arranged and blablabla.."

so for now i go on doing mtb will finish medicine in couple of days along with Kaplan bank. will decide what to do for second round.

Uweapon is a nice Q bank. i have done stats, rheuma, immuno from it for step 1 i wish i had time to do it completely.

main thing is achieved for now: facebook deactivated, goofing around terminated :D

#15 ·
i have also decided to watch videos and take a look through notes. will not loose too much time. i'll try to do them quickly and highlight while watching videos. because i ve been thinking for so long about doing them or not that i would have done them already by now.

#19 ·
finished with goofing around after step 1.

planning 4 months prep time.

skipping videos and KLN (maybe)
for now going through Kaplan Q bank. 60-70% so far. along with first read of MTB2. + STEP UP. Will start doing annotations.
After finishing first read ---> UW ---> then plan according to scores.

anyone who recently started for CK or still goofing around JOIN let's do it quickly and efficiently
In the same boat. Trying to do a block of Kaplan Q bank + Kaplan LN + MTB Subject wise. :eek: Doin IM now. Starting U world In Nov mixed timed. Exam Jan 15th. :plz: Let me know if anyone interested to do Kaplan Q bank together. :)

Step 1(x) Step 2cs(Pass) Step 2ck (Jan 2014) Step 3(April 2014) ;) Match 2015

#21 ·
planning kaplan Qs pulmo and neurology today and tomorrow.
What do you think about notes? do you like them? i plan exam on same date.
9 Hours Ago 09:40 AM
Notes help to get a good understanding to answer Qs. So one read atleast IM is a must I feel. I dont like conrad videos.. its too long.. I tried (x2) but I still prefer the Kaplan High yield videos + MTB. M planning for Kap Q bank ID blocks today and tomorrow.

#22 · (Edited)
yeah too long and i dont have nerves to waste time on excitatory manner of lecturing. i lack info while answer kaplan qs. doing kaplan blocks on low scores. so i will do notes for sure. lectures will take too much time. what are kaplan high yield lectures? other than conrad's? i've heard that kaplan gynecology is also must. so lets do it. i will update how doing KLNs together with MTB will change my scores in Question bank

#26 ·
hey guys ..i was just gonna start studyin too ..might be behind a bunch of u already but good see ppl posting and stuff .... plannin on doin kaplan videos and notes and MTB and uworld later ..

planning on givin the exam in jan-ish ...
just searching online for all the study materials now ..!!

#30 ·
Finishing IM doing nephrology from mtb + kaplan notes. Kaplan scores are low 50-60% but without questions cant keep pace so anyways using q bank as additional study material source. Will do uworld religiously. Good luck everyone :plz:

Anyone struggling with weight together with usmle? I do. lost 2 lbs :) feels Good but i need to reread sentences frequently enough :)

#33 ·
http://www.usmle-forums.com/usmle-s...kaplan-ck-qbank-scores-thread.html#post215609

Read this thread one more time after couple of weeks and maybe after finishing kaplan q bank MI i should stick with UW to keep myself focused on real stuff. But anyways can't say that i dont like kap bank.
Improved nephrology 72-77%
Have moved up to 5-8 hrs/ per day. Started other subjects from both mtbs.

Conrad why did u do this to us. U could have written one big book instead.

Finished psych annotated mtb2 from mtb3 and step1 first aid. It took me hours comparing mtbs. And you cant skip either for these small subjects, there are things in each one that u should not miss.

For now less talk more work. October starting UW.
Anyone can say aproximately how much time i will need on one round of UW if i do 1 block per day?

#36 ·
Ob-gyn

Finished with IM. total 60%. started ob gyn. Will do it from mtb and annotate from kaplan for sure. Than go with kaplan bank. Lets see how notes can improve my %-s.
i want to start UW and quit kaplan q bank. But am bolding myself not to rush with starting uworld.
If anybody tells me to do opposite i will be so happy

#45 ·
Hello everyone. I plan to take my step 2 ck by Feb 2014. I am done with all the goofing around after my step 1 as well. After thinking a lot about whether to go trough Kaplan L+N I decided against it and I am around a week through my IM on MTB 2. Should I be using Kaplan Qbank simultaneously along with my first read of mtb s or should I complete my first read of MTB 2 and 3 and then start up with my kaplan q bank as an initial qbank tool before I start up with my Uworld??
what do you recommend guys ?? any help would be appreciated!!
or any other things you did differently and would have wanted to rectify???

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.