USMLE Forums banner

California Letter (PTAL); How to Apply?

113K views 139 replies 78 participants last post by  SarahIMG 
#1 ·
Unlike all other states, California requires a special authorization in order for medical school graduates whether US or IMGs to practice medicine or to be enrolled in residency programs.
The authorization to practice medicine is called California License.
The authorization to be enrolled in a residency program is called Postgraduate Training Authorization Letter (PTAL) or commonly referred to as California Letter.

Before talking about the steps on how to get the California letter it's important to note down the contact information of the Medical Board of California (MBC). This is going to be needed throughout the process.

California Medical Board Contact information
Email:
webmaster@mbc.ca.gov which is unlike the info@ecfmg.org they usually respond promptly and give you courtesy.

Mailing Address:
MEDICAL BOARD OF CALIFORNIA
LICENSING PROGRAM
2005 Evergreen Street, Suite 1200
Sacramento, CA 95815

Telephones:
800 6332322 or 916 263 2382

Fax:

916 2632487

Now let's walk through the application process step by step:

First Step is the online application:

Go to http://www.mbc.ca.gov/
Click on applicants tab and in the resulting new page scroll down and click on "continue"
You'll be taken to this page
http://www.mbc.ca.gov/applicant/additional_info.html

Click on "Online Licensing Application Payment" on the right upper corner

Then click on "Professional Licensing Log-in"
Which should take you to this page
https://elicense.dca.ca.gov/iLicense/iLicense
and here's a screenshot of that page
World Line Font Screenshot Parallel

click to enlarge

Of course you click on the first time users link
thereafter you choose a username and password, email, mailing address, SSN (optional), and a credit card to be charged later on.

See this image to know what exactly should be checked while paying:
Font Rectangle Screenshot Parallel Number

click to enlarge

The total amount that you have to pay is $493 broken down into $442 (Application Fee) and $51 (Finger Print Processing Fee).

The page that you'll see when you finish the online application looks like this:
Font Screenshot Parallel Rectangle Number

click to enlarge

You'll later receive an email confirmation from ilicense@dcs.ca.gov and they'll say in it the following:

You have successfully registered with the State of California Online Professional Licensing system.

You are registered as: FirstName LastName
Your User ID is: xxx

Please keep it for your records. You will need this User ID to login into the system or to reset your password.
Thereafter you can go to
https://elicense.dca.ca.gov/iLicense/iLicense
print out the online receipt because you'll need this for the next steps.

Alternatively, if you don't like to pay online you can send money order or certified check or personal check and make it payable to "Medical Board of California" and enclose it with your application papers.

Next Step is to do the Finger Printing:

You can go to http://www.mbc.ca.gov/applicant/live_scan.pdf
and print out live scan forms (three copies)

then you can locate a live scan center here
http://ag.ca.gov/fingerprints/publications/contact.htm

or you can choose to send them a finger printing card instead if you don't reside in California or you won't be visiting California. But in this case you have to contact them in order they mail you the finger printing cards.

Note that usually you will be charged $25 when you go to the fingerprinting center, this is another charge to be added to the $51 that you paid already. So your total so far is 493+25= $518

Although you completed three copies but you will send only one copy to MBC to be attached to L1A-L1E forms. The other two copies one will go to the FBI and DOJ and the other can be kept with you.

The Next Step is to fill out and notarize forms L1A, L1B, L1C, L1D, and L1E:

These forms can be downloaded from this page
http://www.medbd.ca.gov/applicant/application_international.pdf

L1A: just answer the questions; Mention any of the exam scores that you have taken so far. It's better you mention at least one exam though it is not mandatory.
L1B: not needed for IMGs; definitely we did not do any ACGME accredited postgraduate training so far and we don't have a state license yet. So leave questions 14 and 15 blank, just sign at the bottom and put your date of birth.
L1C and L1D: Leave ABMS certifications if you are applying for the PTAL and answer all questions 17-38. (this is only required for the California license not the PTAL.
L1E: This form you have to sign in front of the Notary Public who should put his seal and signature in addition to yours.

Now Your are considered an applicant:
Once you send the notarized L1A-L1E along with the application fees (Online Receipt if you paid online, money order or check if you are not) and the finger printing request document then you are considered an applicant and you should receive a notice from the MBC within 90 days.

The letter looks like this
https://www2.mbc.ca.gov/WAAS/images/ApplicationReceivedLetter.jpg

In which you can see that you now have application tracking system (ATS) number.

This number is very important because you will later on be able to follow your case by entering it in this page
https://www2.mbc.ca.gov/WAAS/

Once you get a number you will be assigned an application analyst. They have people assigned to the first letter of your last name. For example if your last name is James then the person in charge with the "J" letter will be in charge of your case.

Most of these clerks are friendly, supportive, and helpful. They will respond to your emails and telephone contacts promptly and professionally.

Once you know who's your assigned clerk, keep his/her contact info handy as you will frequently need to be in contact with him/her for various issues and most importantly to expedite your letter should the match season starts and you don't have it yet.

Although the complete list of required documents is more than what's mentioned so far but the above steps are enough to get you into the process.

It's recommended that you complete the above steps early in April so that you enter their system so that later on updating your case with exam scores and med school papers get considerably shorter time to finish and you will be able to apply to California programs in September.

Here's a screenshot of the latest required documents:
Font Material property Number Document Screenshot

click to enlarge

The Next Step is to fill out and send L2, L3A, L3B, L4 and L5:

L3A and L3B and L4: these forms have to be filled when you finish your residency and you want to apply for a California license (to practice). It's not needed when you apply for PTAL.
L6: is needed if you have attended clinical training and clerkships outside your core primary medical school training (a big example here is Caribbean medical schools where they usually send their students for clerkships in US)

L2 Form should be completed and signed by your medical school
L5 Form should be completed and singed by you medical school

A very important point about L5 Form:
The most common reason of IMG rejection is the number of psychiatry hours during your core medical curriculum, make sure to send them a total of at least 80 hours of psychiatry rotations. If your medical school curriculum did not meet this requirement then you have to top up your application with a certified psychiatry clerkship here in the US in order to get it through.
Another big advice regarding from L5 is to try to find a colleague from your school who has done it before and got accepted. This way you can adjust the number of hours in lieu with what he/she has done, of course changing the dates as appropriate if does not match yours.

The Next Step is to send them your exam scores:

for exam scores go here
http://www.mbc.ca.gov/applicant/exam_scores.html

You need to have passed both Step 1 and Step 2 CK before your are granted a California letter. However, my advice is that you can start the application above (L1A-L1E + Finger Printing + Fees) before you have passed these exams. This will buy you sometime, so that then you can just update them with your exam scores which should not take a long time. So for example start the application in February then when your exam scores are ready in July or August you can update them with the scores and your letter would be ready in September or October otherwise if you start the application in July-August you may not get the letter until February or March next year jeopardizing your potential match in a California program

The Next Step is to send them your Medical School Transcript and Degree (Diploma):

In their instructions they mention that your medical school should send to MBC directly (not through you) certified copies of your transcript and degree. Certified copies means that the photocopy should be stamped (true copy of original) and sealed with the college stamp and signed by the authorized school official.

The previous paragraph is the ideal situation. However, if you are having difficulty with your medical school sending the transcript and the degree (diploma) then the alternative is that you yourself send them the original documents along with translated copies (if they were not in English). In their official instructions they don't mention that but in reality they do accept this method as I have experienced (and several friends of mine) such a scenario with them.

What you can do if the letter is not yet out and you started applying for the match in ERAS?

You can scan the receipt notice that you received and send to ECFMG for scanning. This is considered equivalent to the original letter by most California programs. However, they'll ask you to bring the final letter when you appear for the interview. At the time of the interview you should have completed all the requirements.

See less See more
#62 ·
In our medical school we did clerkship in IM, psychiatry & all other required fields..but we had nothing named family medicine. But for PTAL they said in FM 4 weeks clerkship is needed....so what I can do now..?..confused ...:eek:
plz help.
do they reject application also for FM? bcoz in total we did medicine about 70 weeks..with all the sub-specialties..
but there is nothing about FM...:toosad:

#66 · (Edited)
hi sabio

hi sabio, i am having problems with this process. there seems to be something i am doing wrong. i have paid the money online and have gotten an email saying that i have successfully registered with the online system. But i cant print my receipt (i.e theres no online receipt) and when i log in i cant find my final instructions. Also i did not see this page when i finished paying online. isnt the payment almost the only online part of the application, the L1-5 forms can be printed and filled out in ink right?

i really apologize for having all these questions after your beautiful explanation at the top.

thanks

#69 ·
hi sabio, i am having problems with this process. there seems to be something i am doing wrong. i have paid the money online and have gotten an email saying that i have successfully registered with the online system. But i cant print my receipt (i.e theres no online receipt) and when i log in i cant find my final instructions. Also i did not see this page when i finished paying online. isnt the payment almost the only online part of the application, the L1-5 forms can be printed and filled out in ink right?
i really apologize for having all these questions after your beautiful explanation at the top.
thanks
You are fine.
Yes. the L1-L5 should be printed and sent to them via mail.

-

#67 ·
hi sabio

hi i have a question
you may have addressed this in oti's question, in my official school transcript there is no place for psychiatry it was a part of my internal medicine clerkship. from what you told her, i am guessing that my school should fill out psychiatry in the L5 form. i really hope they dont crosscheck with the transcript. or should i get the school to write a separate letter stating how psychiatry was a part of my medicine clerkship and i fufilled even more than California's required 4 weeks.

i graduated from a nigerian school and my transcript doesnt show how many hours or weeks spent per clerkship, theres nothing i can do about it, this is the official template my school has used for years. is this going to be an issue?

thanks

#68 ·
hi i have a question
you may have addressed this in oti's question, in my official school transcript there is no place for psychiatry it was a part of my internal medicine clerkship. from what you told her, i am guessing that my school should fill out psychiatry in the L5 form. i really hope they dont crosscheck with the transcript. or should i get the school to write a separate letter stating how psychiatry was a part of my medicine clerkship and i fufilled even more than California's required 4 weeks.

i graduated from a nigerian school and my transcript doesnt show how many hours or weeks spent per clerkship, theres nothing i can do about it, this is the official template my school has used for years. is this going to be an issue?

thanks
It's not going to be an issue. Just let them fill L5 and let them mention psychiatry, there's no need for a separate letter of explanation, don't open the door for them to scrutinize and make problems.

-

#71 · (Edited)
I applied for the ptal and I have all my documents sent, however i dont think i will receive my PTAL until aug-sept. I hear you can send in the "applications received letter" as a temporary document to ERAS until you receive your actual PTAL. My problem is that I seemed to have misplaced that applications received letter! what should I do since I am pretty sure my PTAL wont be here until september.

#72 ·
Call your licensing analyst at the Medical Board of California and ask him/her to email or mail you the "application received" letter.
But I want to emphasize here that this letter wouldn't be as powerful as the real California letter.

-

#74 ·
Hi!
Thanx for the informative post... I have graduated from india and do have my official transcript which has 2 weeks of psychiatry(during my 2nd year) and internship completion certificate ( separate from official transcript) which shows the other 2 weeks.. So should I ask my medical school to make a transcript combining them both for the required 4 weeks (else the transcript will show 2 weeks and my application will show 4) or do i send the certified copies of both??
Thanx for the help.

#76 ·
PTAL vs license.

Thanks for the step by step instructions, still lots of papers ... :rolleyes:

Hey, I realized that PTAL process is part of Cali medical licensure.
Cali license = PTAL + Post-graduate completion.

Am I right?

In that case, assume that I apply for PTAL now, have it, then complete an ACGME program. Then I apply for the rest (form L3A, B) to get Cali license.

Or do I need to redo everything like ... form L1A-E, my school has to resubmit all of my credentials again like ... forms L2, L5, transcript, certified copy of diploma ...?

Thanks for the inputs!
LBX.

#77 ·
Thanks for the step by step instructions, still lots of papers ... :rolleyes:

Hey, I realized that PTAL process is part of Cali medical licensure.
Cali license = PTAL + Post-graduate completion.

Am I right?

In that case, assume that I apply for PTAL now, have it, then complete an ACGME program. Then I apply for the rest (form L3A, B) to get Cali license.

Or do I need to redo everything like ... form L1A-E, my school has to resubmit all of my credentials again like ... forms L2, L5, transcript, certified copy of diploma ...?

Thanks for the inputs!
LBX.
Yes. You are right. You don't need to redo everything. Just send them the ACGME residency completion forms and Step 3 form and they'll grant you the full license.

-

#78 ·
I have a question regarding PTAL, is it a one-time issed letter ?

Does it have a validity period or expiration date ? Or once I get it, I can use it every year. If I don't get a residency position, Can I use the same letter the following year? Or I have to apply for a new one

Regards

#79 ·
I have a question regarding PTAL, is it a one-time issed letter ?

Does it have a validity period or expiration date ? Or once I get it, I can use it every year. If I don't get a residency position, Can I use the same letter the following year? Or I have to apply for a new one

Regards
Once it's issued it's valid for one year. Next year they'll ask you to update some stuff, like you need to send them a statement of activity of what you have been doing during the last year, but you don't need to send the med school papers and diploma again.

-

#80 ·
Can I include Internship rotations?

Hi, thank you for this post!

I am an IMG. We had 8 weeks of Medicine, 8 weeks of Surgery, 8 weeks of Pedia, 8 weeks of Ob-gyn, 4 weeks of FM but only 2 weeks of Psychiatry during our clinical clerkship. After being awarded the MD degree by my medical school, I did internship at a different hospital where we did 4 weeks of Psychiatry. Can I add those weeks to my clinical clerkship training to satisfy the minimum 4 weeks Psych requirement? If yes, do I place those internship weeks in L5 or L6? Additionally, do I ask the clinical clerkship director or the internship training director to sign the L5 or L6?

I hope you can enlighten me. Thank you!

#81 ·
Hi, thank you for this post!

I am an IMG. We had 8 weeks of Medicine, 8 weeks of Surgery, 8 weeks of Pedia, 8 weeks of Ob-gyn, 4 weeks of FM but only 2 weeks of Psychiatry during our clinical clerkship. After being awarded the MD degree by my medical school, I did internship at a different hospital where we did 4 weeks of Psychiatry. Can I add those weeks to my clinical clerkship training to satisfy the minimum 4 weeks Psych requirement? If yes, do I place those internship weeks in L5 or L6? Additionally, do I ask the clinical clerkship director or the internship training director to sign the L5 or L6?

I hope you can enlighten me. Thank you!
  • Use L6 if you have done your internship in another system (outside your med school city)
  • Use L5 if you have done your internship in the same city.
  • If you have done the internship in the same city, then your med school should fill form L5 (not your clerkship director or your internship director), it should be the registrar of your med school.
  • If you have done your internship in another city, then make your internship director fill for your Form L6.
  • If you internship is a core rotation (i.e. your MD degree was awarded after the internship) then your psychiatry rotation during the internship will definitely count as a core rotation and must be mentioned in either form L5 or L6 as I outlined above.

-

#84 ·
Hey thanks for the reply.

As I understand, ECFMG will only send score reports only (maybe also the exam performance charts).
Is there anyway to have them send the whole credentials (medical transcript, MSPE, diploma, ...) so I don't have to deal with this kind of hassle again?

What will be included in the letter anyway? is it a triple seal gold plate?
Anyone can share a sample of the letter please?

Thanks a lot.
LBX.

#86 ·
L5 form

Thank you for the information.

when I ask my medical school to complete L5 form, what courses should I include in the form?

They ask for clinical courses only. My understanding is that I should not include the academic subjects like anatomy, biochemistry, histology, physiology, pathology, pharma and microbiology.

Correct me if I am wrong.

Thanks

#87 ·
What is L5 form- is it my core rotations or compulsory internship??

Hello,
What should be included in the L5 form-- is it supposed to be the clinical rotations I did before passing my final MBBS? Or do they mean the internship rotations completed after passing my MBBS? Thx

#88 ·
Hi,
just received the blank fingerprinting cards from Cali MB.
it's the normal card you can have it anywhere (free). come on, I thought it were a special designed one from Cali MB.
This is a 10-finger card form that every fingerprinting service stocks, it's a standardized form for police check before you apply for anything, including ECFMG (as I remember), job application, visa application (for some countries), ...

The difference is that Employer address and ORI boxes are pre-filled with name of Cali MB, address, ...
No offense here, but I suggest Cali MB can instruct people how to fill these boxes and go to any fingerprinting service to get the cards. Save some labor, time and stamps.

I personally had this done like ... several times before, well, for job things.
LBX.

#89 ·
I'm stuck at firt step

Hi,
Thanks for the step by step guide, it helps a lot.
But at first step I got stuck! in filling out the information and applying online I created user name and password but there was no payment section or anywhere to put my credit card No.!! I recieved an email with this content:"
You have successfully registered with the State of California Online Professional Licensing system"

Should I wait or I did something wrong?

#90 ·
Hi Sabio and all..
I have done my elective rotations in USA ,for PTAL shudder I include those rotations ..coz for my usmle steps application I didn't mention those electives because they were not required by my school ,neither did they sent me,I had the opportunity and I took it during that time.plz guide wat shud I do.

Sec I have applied for it and I have gotten the recielt that they got my letter.

About the steps I m taking my step 2 Ck next month.will it effect the PTAL process..I know California is not for IMG s...but I didn't want to regret afterwards that I didn't apply.
Plz guide me.thanks

#91 ·
PTAL for IMG

Hi there,
I'm a 4th year at a uni in Australia and since we finish in November, and the academic year is different to the US, I won't have officially graduated when I apply for residency in the US. Is there a way to get around this for the PTAL documents so I can at least try for an interview and sort out the documents after graduation?
thanks!

#92 ·
Hi,
I've requested a Certification Status Report from ECFMG, online, sent directly to MD of Cali.
Today, I've double checked the checklist (pdf from MD Cali website), it says "examination documentation":
(1)> Official Examination and Board Action History Report ... from FSMB [$65]
(2)> A Certification Status Report from ECFMG [$35]

Am I missing something?
Should (2) is enough? or Do I have to submit both?
Thanks.
LBX.

#95 ·
I think the Op needs to be updated.

Recently, the process has changed a little, and applications are now through breeze.ca.gov

However, you cannot proceed with the application unless you are ECFMG certified. I will be ECFMG certified by the residency deadlines, but how can I start the application process now to expedite obtainment of the PTAL once I do finish with my USMLEs, anyone know more about that?

#96 ·
I think the Op needs to be updated.

Recently, the process has changed a little, and applications are now through breeze.ca.gov

However, you cannot proceed with the application unless you are ECFMG certified. I will be ECFMG certified by the residency deadlines, but how can I start the application process now to expedite obtainment of the PTAL once I do finish with my USMLEs, anyone know more about that?
That's exactly my question too, did you get any answer on that?

#97 ·
Could anyone tell please what all documents I need to secure from my medical school or what all documents would need the signatures of my medical school authorities.
I just want to double check because I would soon be in USA and wouldn't be able to get these documents once there from my medical school here in INDIA.

#98 ·
Need help regarding Psychiatry Clerkship

Hi, I am FMG and want to apply PTAL, I have question regarding psychiatry clerkship which is 2 weeks in my transcripts but I did house job in psychiatry for about 6 weeks, so can i put house job in L5 form or should I use l L 6 form.

Thanks

#99 ·
I just got my PTLA

Hi
I would like to share with you my experience
I submitted the first application, (missing documents Step 2 Ck result , and ECFMG certificate ), I received the first letter after 45 day.
when I got Ck result and the ECFMG certificate , I just the them to MBC (Dec 27th 2013), and I received PTAL (Jan 13th,2014) Happy-2

#100 ·
Hi
I would like to share with you my experience
I submitted the first application, (missing documents Step 2 Ck result , and ECFMG certificate ), I received the first letter after 45 day.
when I got Ck result and the ECFMG certificate , I just the them to MBC (Dec 27th 2013), and I received PTAL (Jan 13th,2014) Happy-2
Hey congrats.

If u could please help me.. I submitted the online part and paid the fee. But on the application they ask about ecfmg certification.. Can I still send the application ? And update my ck score and ecfmg certificate whenever I get them??

Thank you so much :)

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.