USMLE Forums banner

Similar Qn tested on USMLE

6K views 16 replies 6 participants last post by  aktorque 
#1 ·
Which one of the following transplacental infections is associated with sensorineural hearing loss, blindness and periventricular calcification?

A) Cytomegalovirus

B) Toxoplasmosis

C) Syphilis

D) Herpes genitalis

E) Rubella

#10 ·
I had a question that was along the same lines as the one posted.

A newborn has multiple hemorrhagic cutaneous lesions and does respond to auditory stimuli. A CT scan of the head shows periventricular calcifications. Which of the following did the newborn's mother most likely develop during the first 16 weeks of gestations?

A) A 3-day rash
B) Generalized lymphadenopathy
C) Painless genital ulcers
D) Transient arthralgia
E) Vesicular genital lesions

#11 ·
I had a question that was along the same lines as the one posted.

A newborn has multiple hemorrhagic cutaneous lesions and does respond to auditory stimuli. A CT scan of the head shows periventricular calcifications. Which of the following did the newborn's mother most likely develop during the first 16 weeks of gestations?

A) A 3-day rash
B) Generalized lymphadenopathy
C) Painless genital ulcers
D) Transient arthralgia
E) Vesicular genital lesions
Where did you get this qn? looks very tough!!

I'll go with A) A 3-day rash
Coz, CMV resemble signs of rubella in rare cases.

#15 ·
Sorry for the late reply, but the correct answer is indeed B.) generalized lymphadenopathy.

This is a kaplan question, here is the explanation.

The triad of cutaneous hemorrhages "blueberry muffin baby", deafness, and periventricular CNS calcifications suggests congenital CMV infection, the most common cause of intrauterine fetal viral infection.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.