USMLE Forums banner

USMLE step2 CK first :far from being disastrous

2K views 3 replies 3 participants last post by  futureharvard 
#1 ·
Hi guys
i bought 7th edition of FA , even though ppl in my school use boards and wards and make their notes for step2 ck and most of them really score high but im not a notes guy nor a multi-books person , so i started using first aid , to be honest it has so much information and it's a good book ( more then basic) however i hear so many ppl hear say read kaplans , i just wonder how can u memorize 7 books or so and repeat them and master them ? :D lol
I am happy with first aid even though while solving usmleworld some points seem to be missed in first aid but come on how can they put all medicine in one book . :D
anyway guys , your feedbacks are appreciated
study well all
good luck :):):):):):):):):):)

#3 ·
i agree.
if however you have the luxury of time, using kaplan notes and videos are not bad at all. after all, some people would bore on reading kaplan and end up retaining less because of disinterest in a material that he or she was forced to read (because "everybody" is using it).. in the end, they end up with a score less than expected. but you know, this matter is very subjective. one can read anything he or she wants.

i for one am using FA for the CK since i have barely 2 months of study. i agree on your point about mastering 7 books, unless you prepare for 8-12 months.

it also depends on your effective study time. some would read books for a long time, and in the long run use high yield stuff. some would even say that the most important part of their review was the last 5 weeks of FA or MTB or step up-- well for me it only goes to show that in that last critical 5 weeks, it was the high yield stuff that was wholly in the output and let's say only 25 % of the kaplan they've read what.. 3-4x? it is just logical to think, to stick with a book you can confidently master. Besides, somebody said that if he were to repeat his preparation all over, he would've done uworld 2 months and supplemented it with either kaplan or fa, because kaplan was definitely time consuming. again, it is a highly argumentative topic and highly subjective. at the end, it depends on you, the reader, the exam taker.

let us just do our best. Goodluck to all.

#4 ·
yes exactly

Totally agree , i am 70 % way to finishing FA , ii still wonder how can someone master kaplans , it's taking time to read , understand memorize and solve :) i am one of the ppl who really have to repeat a book several times to be super confident .

Well , good luck all

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.