4K views 14 replies 11 participants last post by  wondergirl 
#1 ·
"Its your Mercy,not my Merit"

Thank u Almighty God..
just received my score 2day..
its 99/255.
thank u all at this forum

#2 ·
Congratulations wonder girl. I wish you the best in the other exams that follow and all throughout residency. If it's not too much trouble, would you post your experience through the preparation; how long it took you, what your resources were? Thanks a lot, and once again congrats on the awesome score. :happy:

#8 ·
My Step 1 experiences

I am an IMG from India..graduated last year..

Total time period of study: 7 months( studied hard for 4 months)

Read all kaplan texts twice except pathology for which i used goljan
kaplan texts are wonderful for preparation..they are sufficient for the exam
Goljan is superb..it gives u a stable basement not only for the step 1 exam(its helping me in step 2 ck preparations too)
Read kaplan n goljan twice
Then started u world q bank: 78% correct(86th percentile)( completed 2 months before exam)
reviewed qbank once again completely
i did uworld in standard timed mode to make myself used to the time management
Then read kaplan 1 more time..read goljan only what i had highlighted.
u world sim exam 2(1 month before exam): 740/260
u world sim 1(2 weeks before exam) :800/265
Did nbme 1-6 offline just to know the questions(actually i will never recommend u 2 do that,will never know which one is the right answer)
NBME 7 online(10 days before exam): 650/257
NBME 11 online( 9 days before exam): 630/252
i think nbme predicts better than uworld sim exams
Inbetween i had read step 1 first aid once

In the Last 1 week:
did the wrong n marked questions of uworld ( couldnt complete them)
re read the pages of kaplan n goljan that i had noted down( less than 75 pages for all subjects together)
went through first aid fast
did usmle rx question bank offline(they are easy compared to u world...i was not feeling to study,so did these to engage myself in sumthng)

On the day before exam:
Tensed ,tensed n tensed
was doin n reading whatever i felt
went to bed early,couldnt sleep well though

The exam day:
WAs feeling nauseated while having breakfast(i was freaking out)
exam started at 8:45 am( all staff at prometric were friendly)
once the exam started,i felt so calm..prayed before each block,prayed before i pressed "end this block" each time.
exam was easy..may be 4-5 questions in each block that were really tough
had only 2 direct questions frm uworld n 6 frm all nbme together,but they were the same concepts..the pattern was easier than that of uworld..i had a few 1 sentence questions also(so could save time on those).
REMEMBER: in the long questions also,there will a key point which will give u the right answer..dont be panicked seeing the length of the question.

got atleast 8 min extra for each block except block 6 which was the toughest for me(thnk i was getting tired too)
took 5 minutes break after each block except that i did first 2 blocks at a stretch..

After the exam:
Was feeling proud of myself that i cud complete the 8 hours first of all
was supressing the thought of getting results within a month
Enjoyed 10 days n started reading for step 2 ck
i am planning to write by july mid,so no time to waste..

Yesterday:
Thank god..my hardwork n prayers of many gets d result..

Advice: usmle is not as tough as people say..if u have thoroughly read kaplan n uworld,u are 80% done..Best of luck for all..its ur prayers that matters the most..

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.