USMLE Forums banner

2015 Internal Medicine Residency Matching Applicants

600K views 3K replies 339 participants last post by  James1234 
#1 ·
Fellows let's start the group and discussion for upcoming IM MATCH ))

in 14 days ERAS token will be available to Buy.

lets discuss and try to guide each other on this path.

Peace :cool:

#431 ·
I'm in somewhat of a sticky situation. My med school unfortunately participates in ERAS-EMSWP so they will have to upload my transcript and MSPE. Unfortunately due to bureaucracy and other matters, my MSPE isn't ready yet, and both things will be uploaded together. I can only hope that iA both will be uploaded and available by September 15. However, in case they are not done by then,should I apply to programs on September 15 anyway or wait till both are uploaded? I guess I should mention that my credentials are verified, but I'm not yet ECFMG certified. I don't know if this will have any impact on the situation I'm stuck in. Any input will be greatly appreciated.

#432 ·
Why are you not ecfmg certified yet if your credentials are already verified and you're done with step 1, 2 and cs? Also I think transcript is a vital component so. at least wait for that.

#435 ·
Hi guys ,
ECFMG sent me the certification to my home , but i am afraid i won't get it by september 15, and i don't see where in eras should i put that i am certified. Can you help me please.
You don't need to upload certificate or put it anywhere in application. Ecfmg itself updates eras post office. In your myeras, click ADTS which is a tab on top of your application page. It shows you which of the documents you uploaded or ecfmg uploaded is available at eras post office. You can check if ecfmg has updated its documents or not by looking at the date it last updated.

#438 ·
One more thing, does anybody know the fee for registering at NRMP? So we register on the 15th of September and apply to programs on the same day?
And I read on a post somewhere on this thread (or perhaps elsewhere in this forum), that the fee for uploading a photograph is $25. However, I could not find this on the ECFMG or ERAS pages. Any comment about this? Also, is it mandatory to upload a photo?

#439 ·
NRMP fees is I think $65. And we can apply to that and programs on the same day. Don't know about photo though.

#440 ·
Hello again people.

After sifting through most of the internal medicine programs I have seen some programs that offer a "primary care" program instead of a "categorical internal medicine". Their NRMP code is different as well.

All internal medicine programs have a code with a C in it. for example 3099140C0. While these "primary care" programs have an M, like 1491140M0. Preliminary programs have a P. So as you can see, these programs are obviously different, but they appear when searching internal med programs.

Anyone know what is the difference? Do these programs give an internal medicine certification? Or will I be certified as a primary care physician?

#445 ·
Hello again people.

After sifting through most of the internal medicine programs I have seen some programs that offer a "primary care" program instead of a "categorical internal medicine". Their NRMP code is different as well.

All internal medicine programs have a code with a C in it. for example 3099140C0. While these "primary care" programs have an M, like 1491140M0. Preliminary programs have a P. So as you can see, these programs are obviously different, but they appear when searching internal med programs.

Anyone know what is the difference? Do these programs give an internal medicine certification? Or will I be certified as a primary care physician?
bump :notsure:

#441 ·
Hi guys
I'm a NON-US IMG and I want to apply this year for IM but unfortunately I won't get my CK result until September 28th because of the delay in reporting. Do you think I should send my application on 15th or wait for the result? How will this affect my application? Other parts of my application is complete

#442 ·
Hi guys
I'm an IMG and I want to apply this year for IM but unfortunately I won't get my CK result until September 28th because of the delay in reporting. Do you think I should send my application on 15th or wait for the result? How will this affect my application? Other parts of my application is complete
You can apply, but there will be some programs that want you to have your scores and the ECFMG certification ready the day you apply. Other programs will receive your application but not consider you until they are updated with your full application, that is with your CK score and ECFMG certification.

#448 ·
I'm frantically checking ADTS. If the processing time is really 2 weeks, I won't have 3 LORs available by Sept 15th. I guess I'll apply anyway and hope for the best.

Even the photograph is taking longer than I expected to upload.

#449 ·
I have another question, I have 4 LORs from my different rotations in US, I received one of from my surgery preceptor and I have multiple LORs from my country specifically in Internal medicine from full professors, I know they have less value but I don't know it's better to use NON-US letters or a US based surgery letter?

I uploaded all of them to ERAS and fortunately they get processed in two days

#451 ·
This is a tough one. In theory you should not be sending LORs from surgery to an internal medicine program. It could look as though you regard internal medicine as your second choice. And program directors dont like that. Most PDs like their letters to be directed to their specialty. Unless your surgery LOR clearly states that you would do well in an internal medicine program too, or other specialties. Im not sure.

#450 ·
I am in!!

Finally I am done with step 3 and now I am going to join you people with the following details.

IMG
YOG 2008
Step 1 228/1st
Step 2CK 241/1st
Step 2CS Pass/1st
Step 3 205/1st
USCE (1 month observership in a teaching hospital)
None USCE (5 years ICU/Internal Medicine)
Need Visa H1/J1

#453 ·
Guys .... I have few question ... I hope that any 1 can answer me ... 1) can i apply with only step 1 and 2 score bcoz i failed my cs exam ?? 2) can i apply for preliminary program for internal medicine .. I mean applaying for prelim internal med may increase my chance of acceptance ???

#466 ·
check residency/Fellowship vacancies

Can someone please explain a bit about NRMP, its registration and fees and other stuff? Thanks.
60 $ for ranking of 20 programs. I am sure we will not need to rank more programs :D think about NRMP after september 15. Most smart people register only after getting an Interview. because whats the purpose of registering on NRMP if you don't have any interview and don't have any program to rank.

guys use this site:

http://www.ama-assn.org/ama/pub/abo...rk-environment/find-residency-fellowship.page

residency vacancies are posted on it. check daily.

#467 ·
Hey everyone. Just a quick question. I have mentioned all the externships/observerships that I did after I graduated. I haven't mentioned the clinical clerkships during medschool as work experience. Is it necessary to list all the clerskhips in the 3rd,4th,5th,and 6th year of medicine separately as work experience? I find that absurd(it will be like 5 pages!) but I have heard some people write those.

#472 · (Edited)
I have the same question , I spent 18 months in internship rotation and I get paid for it ,So I have to write them at all ?! and if yes ,put it as a whole or every rotation separately ?
I have to mention that all of them mentioned in my medical school transcript ! so It's not particularly a "work experience"

#474 ·
I am still waiting on two LORs from teaching hospitals to be uploaded and processed. These will be my strongest LORs so is it better to apply with them even though I might be applying later than Sept. 15th?

Interviews are given out on a rolling basis, so I don't want to send my application in too late, at the same time I don't want to be sending letters from a clinic observership instead of ones with a University letterhead.

Any advice?

#477 ·
Applying to University Programs with Research Opportunities

Dear *hopefully* future colleagues!

I am hoping to match into a university IM program, as I want to pursue academia/research as a future career. I probably won't apply to community programs because I have a strong desire to do research down the line.

Here are my credentials:
IMG from Singapore, native English speaker, need visa sponsorship
Year of graduation 2011
Have been involved in clinical medicine since graduation
ECFMG Certified
Step 1 262; Step 2 CK 264; Step 2 CS pass, all first attempt
Step 3 253, first attempt
7 publications in peer reviewed journals, 1 co-authored book chapter (4 of the 8 publications were done together with US faculty from an academic medical center)
3 accepted publications in peer reviewed journals; pending publication
Multiple presentations in European and American medical conferences
5 months of prior subinternship level USCE at academic medical centers with 10 US letters of recommendation from academic faculty

I am on a lean budget and will definitely apply to the top places (aim for the stars, so called). Unfortunately many of them have a 3 year cutoff for YOG or a 6 month to 1 year minimum for USCE. I will still be applying for these because who knows, they may bend the rules. I have about 50 "well known" programs, and another 40 or so "2nd tier" (but I'm sure equally as good) programs in mind at the moment.

From your experience how many of the "2nd tier" programs should I apply to, to be reasonably sure of getting, say, at least 10 interview invites?

Appreciate all your kind help!! My budget is unfortunately rather lean (but not crazy tight) so I want to streamline my application as much as possible, yet not cut it too thin.

Thanks so much! :)

#480 ·
Dear *hopefully* future colleagues!

I am hoping to match into a university IM program, as I want to pursue academia/research as a future career. I probably won't apply to community programs because I have a strong desire to do research down the line.

Here are my credentials:
IMG from Singapore, native English speaker, need visa sponsorship
Year of graduation 2011
Have been involved in clinical medicine since graduation
ECFMG Certified
Step 1 262; Step 2 CK 264; Step 2 CS pass, all first attempt
Step 3 253, first attempt
7 publications in peer reviewed journals, 1 co-authored book chapter (4 of the 8 publications were done together with US faculty from an academic medical center)
3 accepted publications in peer reviewed journals; pending publication
Multiple presentations in European and American medical conferences
5 months of prior subinternship level USCE at academic medical centers with 10 US letters of recommendation from academic faculty

I am on a lean budget and will definitely apply to the top places (aim for the stars, so called). Unfortunately many of them have a 3 year cutoff for YOG or a 6 month to 1 year minimum for USCE. I will still be applying for these because who knows, they may bend the rules. I have about 50 "well known" programs, and another 40 or so "2nd tier" (but I'm sure equally as good) programs in mind at the moment.

From your experience how many of the "2nd tier" programs should I apply to, to be reasonably sure of getting, say, at least 10 interview invites?

Appreciate all your kind help!! My budget is unfortunately rather lean (but not crazy tight) so I want to streamline my application as much as possible, yet not cut it too thin.

Thanks so much! :)
Great credentials, hope you will match in top program.

#479 ·
Need advice

Hello friends; I need your suggestion. I graduated from medical school in 2007 and completed home residency in internal medicine in 2012.I did MPH from top US university in 2013. Both of my steps are > 260 & passed CS with high performance. I need VISA sponsorship. My question is shall I apply to programs with 5 years cut off from graduation? Thanks

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.