USMLE Forums banner

USMLE Step 1 Preparation Books and Plan

246K views 130 replies 98 participants last post by  CoolJazz 
#1 · (Edited)
There are two major approaches (or let me call them methods) when it comes to what books are needed to prepare for USMLE Step 1.

Method 1 (Kaplan Lecture Notes)

This method is the most common method seen among IMGs and it has been tested to produce high scores throughout the last 5 years or more.
Kaplan Lecture Notes for USMLE Step 1 are 7 books each deals with one or two disciplines: namely (Physiology; Pathology; Microbiology & Immunology; Biochemistry & Genetics; Anatomy, Embryology, & Neuranatomy; Behavioral sciences & Biostatistics; Pharmacology).
So this method entails cramming on these 7 books (+their DVD lectures) and also First Aid for the USMLE Step 1 to backup the preparation.

Advantages:

• You'll get a compact 7 books to cram and no need to get lost finding the high yield information from other resources.
  • Gives confidence as you are not missing any high yield info.
  • Less time consuming than method 2.
  • Proved successful by many many students in the past.
Disadvantages:

• Kaplan lecture notes better to be accompanied by the DVD lectures. These lectures are not sold commercially and it's provided only for the students who take the Kaplan course and this is expensive. Of course you can find illegal downloads of these DVDs or from your friends. As for the lecture notes you can buy them from Amazon.
  • Some students (and First Aid authors) believe that relying on a single series to cram step 1 is not a good way, though I disagree with this.

Method 2 (Various Resources)

This method is more popular among American grads (but also increasingly seen among IMGs). It has also proven to be a very effective method of preparation.
It entails looking for the best book in each subject (like for example by following our polls and see what is the best physiology book or the best pathology book and so on).
The current top ranked books that students rely on using this method are:

Of course in each of the subjects ranking changes from time to time but these are the current winners. Note that I did not mention the gross anatomy book because simply I don't know what's the current highest rank reference.

Advantages:

• You get the best in each.
  • You will cover every little detail that may come in USMLE.
  • Some experts believe that question makers look up these books before they put the MCQs for the USMLE.
Disadvantages:

• More time consuming than method 1. (almost double the number of pages).
  • Topics might get repeated as for example you may read the sleep stages in BRS physiology and again in High Yield behavioral sciences while in method 1 you'll read topics in one place.

Needless to say, that these two methods are not mutually exclusive, like for example many students (specially Indians) think that Kaplan is great except for it's pathology and neuroanatomy sections. So they supplement method 1 with Goljan pathology (the book, the notes, and/or the audio) and High Yield Neuroanatomy.

Remember that after reading the books you have to do questions and see our Best USMLE step 1 Qbank poll to help you choose.

What is my choice? Method 1.

But for you, The final choice is yours!

See less See more
#45 ·
more advice

thank you very much. can i know how much time the application process requires? they say its really difficult in pakistan but i study here. and i live back in middle east. so can i give it in middle east? and what is the difference between the kaplan notes on amazon and teh online subscription for step 1?

#47 ·
Thanks Steptaker for all this information. :happy:
I am an old IMG and do not give up to take the USMLE. I am planning to prepare myself and to take USMLE 1 next year.
Am I in disadvantge for being an old IMG? I finished pediatrics and infectology disease in my country.

Thanks again for all your advices

#48 ·
hi guys!
I've got a question - so many ppl say that the Kaplan method is less time consuming - for me it seems like watching all those videos would take a lot more time than just go through some books.
Or do you mean just Kaplan LN when you are talking about Kaplan?

Thanks in advance!

#52 ·
we kno vry well the AMG's who do method 2 hav higher pass rates than the IMG's who follow method 1....so,method 2 is indeed superior to method1,rite???....y dont we jus follow d method 2 like d americans and travel in d same boat???
US Grads have higher pass rates not because they follow method 2 above. They score higher because their entire medical school is geared toward the USMLE. They spend 2 years at school preparing for step 1 and they spend 2 years working on the CK and CS.

-

#53 ·
hi and thank you for your information. but i have a question.
i m in my first read, i started with anatomy and biochemistry. which topic(book) is better for me to read after these, i myself m thinking about pharma or immunology, like to know your suggestion.
thanks again. :)

#58 ·
hey stepTaker...
I can't say enough thank you because your explanation spared me a lot of time and made my preparation way easier :)

I'm an IMG and I intend to use method 2 + kaplan videos, but still I have 2 questions:
1. is lippincott's too much for biochemistry? because I heard that RR is somewhat lacking some details but at the same time lippincott's has too much details.
2. what about genetics and histology? what review books other than kaplan are mostly used?

again thank you ;) and sorry is my questions are too much :D

#59 ·
Hello :) I am currently about to start this long journey of studying for Step 1 and I've been told by friends who have passed it that the Kaplan videos are a waste of time, to just read the Kaplan lecture notes and to do the U-World questions & read the First Aid twice if not more. What do you think about this?

#60 ·
need advice

Hi StepTaker,

first, thank you so much for great information, i am an old 2001 IMG (better late than never), am decided now to take USMLE's. i found this forum and would like to have some information about how do i register for the exams, i mean how does the whole process works?

And what method should i take? for preparations?

thanks

#61 ·
Hey StepTaker,

Thank you for the comprehensive plan. I agree with method 2 because it combines the best books from each series (like a league of superheroes).

Unfortunately, it would take forever to go through all those books. For people that need to focus for 2 months, may I recommend a shorter and more powerful plan:

Focus on First Aid - use all the books you recommend as pure support in case there are topics that are not explained (also support with Picmonic and Pathoma which are two pretty new resources that are good supplements)

Instead of trying to go through all those books in 2 months (which is pretty impossible), one can get through First Aid multiple times to remember more high yield facts and have more time for question bank questions.

Focus focus, First Aid and Q bank!

#62 ·
Just Started

Hi everyone !
I just started to prepare for USMLE step1..
I think I'll try the second method..
I want to take exam in summer 2014.. I hope 1 year will be enough for me..
Just started Anatomy by HY gross anatomy and kaplan notes + Netter Atlas
:toosad:But, I am kinda confused if i am on the right way..

#63 ·
Hi everyone !
I just started to prepare for USMLE step1..
I think I'll try the second method..
I want to take exam in summer 2014.. I hope 1 year will be enough for me..
Just started Anatomy by HY gross anatomy and kaplan notes + Netter Atlas

:toosad:But, I am kinda confused if i am on the right way..
I am shooting for the same time frame
What I am doing and am satisfied is going both ways since we have time till next summers
Kaplan videos and approach 1
See videos atleast 2 times if u don't understand
Dr fisher for physio basics is awesome

#69 ·
USMLE Step 1 Preparation

I'm an IMG, I passed step 3 last week so I am finally done with everything and I wanted to help some people out with their preparation. I got a 199 on Step 1 and at that time passing was 188. All I used was First Aid Step 1 which I read 4 times and I did USMLE World Q Bank 1 and a half times. I studied for 5 months, but I was doing surgery residency at the same time at my home country in Europe. So you can imagine that I did not have too much time to study. Another major problem is that at least 15 points of your score depend on how well you condition yourself for the exam, meaning that you need to be able to last the whole 8 hours without losing too much concentration. Unfortunately I did not know how to do this at the time. Conditioning means doing at lest 2 blocks a day in timed and then reviewing the questions without taking a break, which comes out to be 3-4 hours w/o moving from the chair. Also once a week it is necessary to run the whole exam, meaning the whole 8 hours either through self assessment exams or through regular question blocks. Three components are necessary to pass: knowledge, mental conditioning, English language. You must have all 3! Good luck

#70 ·
Congratulations !!!

I'm an IMG, I passed step 3 last week so I am finally done with everything and I wanted to help some people out with their preparation. I got a 199 on Step 1 and at that time passing was 188. All I used was First Aid Step 1 which I read 4 times and I did USMLE World Q Bank 1 and a half times. I studied for 5 months, but I was doing surgery residency at the same time at my home country in Europe. So you can imagine that I did not have too much time to study. Another major problem is that at least 15 points of your score depend on how well you condition yourself for the exam, meaning that you need to be able to last the whole 8 hours without losing too much concentration. Unfortunately I did not know how to do this at the time. Conditioning means doing at lest 2 blocks a day in timed and then reviewing the questions without taking a break, which comes out to be 3-4 hours w/o moving from the chair. Also once a week it is necessary to run the whole exam, meaning the whole 8 hours either through self assessment exams or through regular question blocks. Three components are necessary to pass: knowledge, mental conditioning, English language. You must have all 3! Good luck
Congratulations and thanks for the useful tips.

#72 ·
I will go for method 2!

Both of methods are impressive whether it is Kaplan Lecture Notes and various resources. But everyone should choose best practice session. I will go for method two. From your discussion I am clear what I should choose.

As you said method 2 is the best because it has details and has chance to get question appeared commonly. Although method 2 is time consuming, who cares about that if he gets common question. Thank you very much StepTaker. Really awesome experience. :)

#73 · (Edited)
I don't know and curious to know why people arguing with 2 method as both method is good as I know.But most of us tell method one is very good,So why did they create method two:scared:? And my answer is that it is done for our profit if we are not preferable with one method there is alternative so that we could not get a stumble.

#74 ·
Hi, I'm a 10yr old graduate. Haven't been in touch with the field at all. Finally decided to get back to my career and take the Step Exams. My question is.... Is Kaplan Lecture notes, Pathoma, U World and First Aid enough for the prep OR you suggest I should pick up my text books again for the Step1 prep? Please advise

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.