USMLE Forums banner

Overriding IWA application

10K views 8 replies 5 participants last post by  Sheharbano 
#1 ·
My form 186 has been accepted...but exam application is still pending..I want to delay exam...tell me whether I can override my application on IWA and send new application to get new eligibility period of my choice OR I will have to take extension of eligibility period???
What are disadvantages of overriding application and which documents I will have to send to ECFMG again?

#2 ·
As far as I understand, overriding an application in your IWA account means that you apply again for the same step which will override the previous application.

This will also invalidate Form 186, which means you have to submit a new Form 186.

IMGs have used the override procedure in the past when they had big mistakes in the online application and they have succeeded. So yes, you can do it.

-
-

#9 ·
As far as I understand, overriding an application in your IWA account means that you apply again for the same step which will override the previous application.

This will also invalidate Form 186, which means you have to submit a new Form 186.

IMGs have used the override procedure in the past when they had big mistakes in the online application and they have succeeded. So yes, you can do it.

-
-
Hey, hope you are well. If I override my online part of the application (form 183) for step 1. Does it mean I lose all the money too? And I have to pay again?

#4 ·
sabio are u sure that form186 will be invalidated then???plz confirm it
Yes, am quite sure about it.
I know a friend who have done the overriding. He had to resubmit Form 186 and he faced problems because his medical school refused to sign another Form 186 but ultimately he got the problem solved by talking to the ECFMG support over the phone.
However, I have to say that his case was little different from you, in that he even wanted to change incorrect data in his Form 186. His initial form 186 had incorrect date of graduation and he wanted to change that.
In your case, I think you don't want to change Form 186 data, so probably your case is easier.
But am quite sure that when you finish the new application, you will be presented with a new Form 186 (with a new bar code in it) and you have to resubmit it.

#6 ·
so should i override application to delay exam to 1 or 2 months or should i take extension of eligibility period>???suppose if u were me,what would u do???
I would go for eligibility period extension. The reason is that I tend to steer away from complication with the ECFMG, they are already complicating things without any problems, if I add this problem, things get more complicated and I don't like it.

#7 ·
dear sabioo...

i have made tha same mistake as ur friend that u were tellin about
i have entered incorrect date of graduation day ...so ca u tell me plz what can i do exactly to correct this mistake.. nd if ill have to pay the fees again to correct this mistake ??

thanx

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.