USMLE Forums banner

Anyone applying on im,fm and peds? Am i crazy?

1K views 2 replies 3 participants last post by  so55b 
#1 ·
I want to give my best shot at it.
I have two LORS for IM , two general letter from two educators.
Might get another LOR from a dermatopathologist.
one strong letter from my departmental chair back home in peds.

I feel like I am all over the place.

No FM whatsoever.

Please advice.

230/230/ECFMG CERTIFIED/NO VISA NEEDED

#2 ·
Ah, chillax! Visa issue is out for you. That opens so many doors for you that you have a very good chance of getting into any of the specialty you want. Most good programs will happily take you for IM or FM, and even PEDs.

However, a word of caution, don't apply to two specialties in the same program. That will look awkward.

And also, have your LoR tailored to the specialty you area applying. For instance, an LoR from a dermatopathologist doesn't look good for an application of Peds. You should have LoR's from Ped dept for that.

Anyway, you have great chances, apply broadly to what you really wanna do, and have a few programs as a backup.

#3 ·
2 specialties at the same program

I heard that applying 2 different specialties in the same hospital is totally fine.
Im confused now.
Do they share the applicant's information?? hmm

I have 1 more question.
Should we pay for each program in case we apply 2 different specialties in the same hospital? for instance, IM and FM at MGH lol.
I'm sure it costs just 25$ for applying prelim med and advanced program in the same hospital.
Please answer this question.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.