USMLE Forums banner

Hard choice... Can't decide

1K views 2 replies 2 participants last post by  usmlebolt 
#1 ·
DEAR MEMBERS,

I AM IMG AND I DID GRADUATION 5 YEARS AGO , I ALREADY TAKEN STEP2 CS AND PREPARING STEP1 FULL TIME STUDYING 10-14 HOURS A DAY TO SLAY THIS BEAST WHICH I AM CONFIDENT WILL BE DONE IN NEXT 3.5 MONTHS.

YESTERDAY OUT OF THE BLUE I GOT JOB OFFER OF PAID RESEARCH IN A BIG RESEARCH PROGRAM IN A TEACHING HOSPITAL AND NOW I AM IN A FIX WHETHER TO PURSUE IT AND INCRASE MY CONTACTS AND PR WITH PD's ETC WHICH I KNOW MIGHT OPEN SOME DOORS BUT CAN EFFECT STUDIES BECAUSE ITS A FULL TIME 9-5 JOB
ON THE OTHER HAND I AM THINKING TO LET GO OF IT AND KEEP THE PREPARATION MOMENTUM GOING AND TAKE THE EXAMS AND SIT IN THE MATCH.

THANKS

#2 · (Edited)
DEAR MEMBERS,

I AM IMG AND I DID GRADUATION 5 YEARS AGO , I ALREADY TAKEN STEP2 CS AND PREPARING STEP1 FULL TIME STUDYING 10-14 HOURS A DAY TO SLAY THIS BEAST WHICH I AM CONFIDENT WILL BE DONE IN NEXT 3.5 MONTHS.

YESTERDAY OUT OF THE BLUE I GOT JOB OFFER OF PAID RESEARCH IN A BIG RESEARCH PROGRAM IN A TEACHING HOSPITAL AND NOW I AM IN A FIX WHETHER TO PURSUE IT AND INCRASE MY CONTACTS AND PR WITH PD's ETC WHICH I KNOW MIGHT OPEN SOME DOORS BUT CAN EFFECT STUDIES BECAUSE ITS A FULL TIME 9-5 JOB
ON THE OTHER HAND I AM THINKING TO LET GO OF IT AND KEEP THE PREPARATION MOMENTUM GOING AND TAKE THE EXAMS AND SIT IN THE MATCH.

THANKS
How would u account for the gap if u don't take it up?
Would u have enough money for the process?
Won't u get some time to prep before 9am and after 5 pm?
Isn't it better for You to wait then apply in match 2016 to hit the scores well and u get the contacts as well? Or u are only left with step 1? If u are only left with step one then I would say take the job and write the exams in ur period too and apply this year. But kill urself with the time. I work more hours than you but still on it. Fortunately for u, you have done ck so u know good amount of step 1.

I hope u get what am saying!

#3 ·
Thanks nsesereso for the reply and I am getting what your saying because this is the decision I am leaning towards to get the opportunity and sit in 2016 match
The only thing that bothers me when I read on forums threads regarding fulltime job and steps prep , overwhelming majority say they are struggling and many take extended leave, hire daycare help for kids(which I don't have to worry for now) and many simply quit and study and then join again. But I guess that's all depend how motivated person is to make it happen because there are examples although few who have done it.
Thanks for raising all the right reasons and it certainly reinforced my decision of taking the job and hope you keep up with the motivation to finish the task.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.