USMLE Forums banner

Which NBME to do and when should i take Step 1 (UWSA1 and UW scores provided)

4K views 9 replies 4 participants last post by  hispeedworm 
#1 · (Edited)
hello guys... i need a bit of help .... my step 1 quarter is july august september of 2011. my UW finished on 18 june with average of 70+....my avg scores had started from 68.

today i did UWSA1 with UW assessment score of 670 and 3 digit score of 252.

even before taking this test i knew i was really rusty in micro and immuno as i havent looked through the course books be it first aid or kaplans ever since i had started UW. that was back in end of may.

now i still have UWSA2 subscription (which i can use if i want to) and i plan to give nbme before my actual exam. but i need advice on both.

which nbme forum should i take? i plan to take just one and if good score than well and good (cant to multiple forums unless godforbid i score really low on first nbme forum).which one should it be 7 .... 11 ..... 12...... or any other? and should i do the UWSA2 aswell or not......

secondly i was planning to take exam date say around 20 to 30 july. is that good enough? should i delay it or make it earlier?on side note i intend to go through UW notes that i made once again and do first aid and bits and pieces of stuff i lack in from here and there.

and one final query..... while doing UWSA i was feeling like an idiot :eek: as if i dont know anything...... is it like that for everyone or am i just the nervous wreck type?

thanks alot for your answers in advance

See less See more
#3 ·
You're doing awesome as I'm sure you know, but of course NBME's are the ultimate predictor. NBME 7 is supposed to be close to the real deal, and of the newer ones 11 is better from what folks have said. If I had to pick one I'd probably go for 11 since it's newer.
Since you already have UWSA2, why would you not do it?
If you're scoring where you want to be, why would you wait to take your exam? Do your NBME, if you're happy with the score, set a date and go take the test. Good luck!

#6 ·
It is obvious you are doing well..but one thing which i don't get, today is 25th june and you are planning to take the exam at 20-30 july..are you that sure that you will find a seat to book ??
hopefully yes :) im from pakistan and there is usually not tht much traffic on the prometric center :) my friend who gave step 1 some 2 months back he booked his date at prometric center just 5 days before his exam date :)

i plan to book a date after nmbe. which i plan to give at the most by 3 or 4 july

#8 ·
Done with Step 1

okay guys just putting up a follow up to my original post here. im done with step 1 and my result came out yesterday and by the grace of god i scored really well and im very glad.

after the UWSA 1 i did forum 11 i scored 247 in that .... in actual exam i scored 243 ...99

even though my score is a bit lower than what nbme projected. its because i got hammered in Behavior and thats most probably because i mixed up the (false negative and true negative , false positive and true positives) in the exam and in the last block i realized that i was taking wrong values ...... there were about 2 questions per block atleast.

so all in all forum 11 is very good for estimate score for step 1.

and i would recommend everyone to note down in their notes all the different prototype questions of biostats and do revise all of them a few days before exam and not to do this rookie mistake like me :)

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.