USMLE Forums banner

Matching in 2017 will be difficult?

10K views 11 replies 9 participants last post by  mateem 
#1 ·
Hey! guys I am planning for 2017 match and I am going to graduate in 2015. Do you think matching in 2017 will be more difficult than 2016?:rolleyes:

Kindly give your advice!
Thanks!

#3 ·
Thank!

Thanks for reply!
But i met a cardiology fellow in a university hospital, he said things are going to be really bad after this year.
He also added apply as soon as possible.

I am not trying to scare you, because i am myself scared after listening to his advice.

#4 ·
spoke to a PD at an Uni program in Philly, he said by 2017 No of AMG = No of residency. Who knows, maybe the congress will add more residency by then.

Thanks for reply!
But i met a cardiology fellow in a university hospital, he said things are going to be really bad after this year.
He also added apply as soon as possible.

I am not trying to scare you, because i am myself scared after listening to his advice.

#6 ·
Every year the match is more competitive, 2017 by default will be more competitive than 2015. If you are an IMG and you are talking about the increase of AmMGs for 2017 and the consolidation of the merging of GME between Allopathic and osteopathic, it will affect the applicants, but is hard to know how much

GL

#7 ·
Hey im planning for 2018 match.
Dont listen to all these people they are just giving their own opinion.
Honestly not even the NRMP or ECFMG guys can predict the upcoming match.
If we have a great CV we will match regardless of the competition.
And if even if the match rates become half the existing rate by then most of us will still send in our applications wont we?

#11 ·
Can we stop with these threads....there are so many of them. 2015 will be too hard. 2017 will be too hard. What are my chances in 2020. Goes on and on.

No one knows! Every year is different. Every match is different. If you have the scores, a US citizenship/GC, USCE, US LORs, recent graduation, then I don't see how anyone can stop you. Unless they make it illegal for IMGs to apply.

Focus on building your resume and your CV and things will work out for you the way they are meant to be. There is nothing you can do about " what is the match going to be like in 2017, or 2020" No one here can tell you the future.

Focus on your studies.

#12 ·
It is true that nobody can predict what the matching rates for IMG's will be in 2015, 2016, 2017 and 2018.

I have been to numerous medical presentations in the US. Many forums. Spoke with many US MD's. And the language is the same... more US Seniors, less IMG's.

USA has a major national debt problem. The past 3 years the Debt-to-GDP was above 100%. As a result, the economy is on the edge. Because of this, students begun flooding more so into medical programs since 2008. Each year there are more US Graduates than last year. But the number of residency positions has generally remained the same.

The requirements for IMG's is becoming more stringent. You need high scores in Step 1, 2CK/CS (higher than US Seniors). You will need LOR's from US doctors that were your supervisors during your inpatient/outpatient externship or observership. Publications. Recognitions and Awards are always helpful to have.

2015 Match will be difficult for IMG's... too many US Seniors. They all go into medicine, because its one of few jobs that still pays well here in the US and offers somewhat of a "job security".

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.