USMLE Forums banner

USMLE World Research Abstract Questions

8K views 65 replies 14 participants last post by  cool_atomic 
#1 ·
Guys who ever has a current uWorld subscription should have atleast 5 questions for the abstract material. and Let me tell you guys in advance..Its rediculously hard and impossible to read a whole article and a long stem question and retrieve date for a two set question. :( re-Depressed lol

#4 ·
I had finished all my unused so i saw about 5 more this morning. and they are all in the internal Medicine with biostatistics section.
P.S Does anyone know if these abstracts are experimental or actually counted for points on the USMLE.

#6 ·
lol...i seriously think they are adding these questions to throw people off and make them waste time..>So if i come across any i am skipping them till the end..I'll take my chances on whatever time ihave left towards the end. First they maybe experimental who knows and second they cant be worth that much since they just started using them. *_*

#13 ·
Does anyone know for sure when these questions will be added to the test ,on the USMLE.org website they said starting from Aug. and in another news update they posted on or around Aug. 3rd the no. of questions will be changed ,does that mean the same thing ?? My test is on Aug.1st am done with my UW subscription and frankly I don't have extra time to prepare for those questions ,any answer will be helpful .:eek::scared:

#15 ·
@Kais_MD: Just practice reading/skimming questions quickly or material quickly in general. It's a good skill to have for the Step 2. I don't know about you but I prefer reading the question at the end and then reading the rest of the material to find the answer. Sometimes you don't even need the lab values lol. I don't think the questions will count for you because you're taking the exam before the 3rd. Don't stress. :) I'm sure you'll be fine. Good luck on your exam! Please tell us about the experience after you're done.

@usmle dee: I think reading abstracts is kind of already taught to a certain degree in US medical schools. In one of the rotations I did in a US hospital, the attending wanted me to look up the latest research material on all the patients I helped manage. It's expected of medical students in many university affiliated hospitals to skim through research material quickly to find points relevant to their patient. The pharmacology ads are a different story though lol. I don't think anyone gets any training on those yet. I'm a lil worried about that part.

#16 ·
I don't think the questions will count for you because you're taking the exam before the 3rd. Don't stress. :) I'm sure you'll be fine. Good luck on your exam! Please tell us about the experience after you're done.

Thank you guys for your reply ,am so sorry that I didn't post sooner ,am done with my test ,and nothing appeared from the drug add or abstract questions thank God ,,,thank you so much again . :)

#17 ·
I don't think the questions will count for you because you're taking the exam before the 3rd. Don't stress. :) I'm sure you'll be fine. Good luck on your exam! Please tell us about the experience after you're done.

Thank you guys for your reply ,am so sorry that I didn't post sooner ,am done with my test ,and nothing appeared from the drug add or abstract questions thank God ,,,thank you so much again . :)
congrats on finishing exam.........Now you can relax:)

So can you tell about your exam experience briefly.

Do u think micro and patho step 1 quick reading is required for step 2 ck.

How was difficulty level in exam?

#42 ·
Well guys, I have done all the questions regarding about the new topics. For questions about abstracts and one about drug advertising. Here my conclusions:

For abstract questions:

1. When you face this new format, read the question FIRST. Make sure you understand what they are asking.
2. Once you read it, look for the information you need in the abstract. This is the long part.
3. If you find it fast, fine. If you don't, you should make a guess, mark the question and move on.

For advertising questions:

1. This questions were easier, the same thing, you should read the question first.
2. Look for the information in the advertising
3. If you cannot answer, make a guess an move on.

It would be fine to review some topics:

*Hazard ratios.
*Types of clinical trials.
*The link that cool_atomic posted seems good too.

I agree with the point that you must know basic concepts of biostatistics. At least know how to deal with a 2 x 2 table, the sensitivity, specificity, PPV, NPV definitions. Also, to recognize when to use Chi square, t score and ANOVA could be useful.

If you have any subscription to any medical journal, you will find tons of advertising material in which you can practice.

I am going to take my exam this August 10th, so this is going to be one of my last posts until then. Good luck to all you guys.

#49 ·
hey there were two qns in usmle.org which were ridiculously simple...n i was thinking they had incorporated these qns just to give the people taking the exam a break from the intense 9 hour struggle, at the same time, testing their basics.....

i guess uworld just made it harder....

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.