USMLE Forums banner

old graduate

5K views 12 replies 6 participants last post by  pakistani 
#1 · (Edited)
hi everyone ,
I am from pakistan...26 year old..i did my graduation in march 2012... i m intending to take step 1 in september 2015 ...and perhaps ll apply for 2017 match ! my question is ; As i m an old graduate, would it affect my application later on for match ?:scared: as i heard match will already be tugher and tougher in the coming years

#7 ·
You are not old yet. As long as you manage to apply for the match within 5 years after graduation you should have as much chance as any other IMG (after that chances fall to almost zero and it requires a lot more politics to get interviews). That said, being a foreigner, you should aim at getting high grades on Step 1 as this will increase your chances considerably. Step 1 is the most important thing for the match. Having good recommendation letters/good written and spoken english/good publications doesn't hurt as well.

#9 ·
query

as i heard that matching chances in any residency programme decreases dramatically once u cross 5 year old graduation bar.so i just want to know that if someone july 2012 graduate then it means that person should apply on start of september 2017 to avoid 5 year old grad bar that most programme set or that person should apply on start of september 2016?plz help

#10 ·
In my understanding they count years when they are looking at applications in Sep to pick candidates for interview. Others comment.

as i heard that matching chances in any residency programme decreases dramatically once u cross 5 year old graduation bar.so i just want to know that if someone july 2012 graduate then it means that person should apply on start of september 2017 to avoid 5 year old grad bar that most programme set or that person should apply on start of september 2016?plz help

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.