USMLE Forums banner

Comparison between two people who got 99s

2K views 2 replies 2 participants last post by  mle guy 
#1 ·
http://www.usmle.org/Scores_Transcripts/score-conversion.html

So for recent examinations in:
Step1 99(+229) 75(188)
Step2 99(+226) 75(189)

This shows that the range of scores for step2 is shorter than for step1.

If we compare this to what we had 2 years back, then 99 used to be around 235.

1. So if a person with a 99(235) who got it 2 years back and a person with a 99(226) who got it recently both apply at the same matching year, would it make a difference to the program since they will be only considering the 3 digit score?

2. Does this mean that now the tests are harder than before? If they are, how can you judge these 2 candidates based only on their 3 digit scores, when both have the same 2 digit scores which also happen to be the lowest value of 99 at that particular time when the test was taken?

#2 ·
1. I think they try and standardize the scores as much as possible (reason behind 3 digit score, reason behind each question being weighed differently etc.), I think PD's know about this, and will gauge it accordingly.

2. Yes, the exam is getting more and more difficult, as a result people with high 220's are also getting 99's. Although no one really knows for sure how it is scaled.

#3 ·
Indeed it is getting difficult. So getting in the high 220s these days is almost like getting it in 230s some 2 years back, but would the PDs consider it or just judge according to the 3 DSS, which I think they would.
On the other hand, being an old grad has it own disadvantages as some programs have the 3 or 5 year post grad limit.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.