USMLE Forums banner

Img 245

3K views 6 replies 5 participants last post by  Meyen 
#1 · (Edited)
My purpose of writing a review is not for those people who are very focussed and orientated in their study but for those out there who are very outgoing and have difficulty focussing .

I have been a very hippy and social person throughout ma medical skool so initially i had trouble focussing so i decided that there is no way i was going get above 240 with disturbance so i moved to my hometown where i had no friends at all.I took out 8 months and fixed it only for step 1.To excel this exam we need castle of peace,if you have kids sell them and if you have people around you get rid of them at the end no one will take ur excuse of nt scoring its u only u who is bona be held responsible.EXERCISE,EAT WELL,CLOSE YOUR FB.

PREPARATION:
STAGE 1(3 months): As i mentioned i was having hard time focussing so what i did was
I did immunology,microbiology,genetics ,biostatits cell biology from Kaplan lecture notes
i did all systems from organs system book from first aid authors,it was very good it was divided in systems and really helped me cover anatomy,physio,embro and pathology in proper detail not extensive but right where the money was.I included pathoma for organ system and goljan for general pathology only. IT TOOK ME 3 MONTHS FOR DIS
STAGE 2(1 month 10 days) :Now i started with first aid gave it a read in 25 days completely and started kaplan bank along with it,when i was thru half of my kaplan bank ,i started with another quick read of first aid in 15 days and took nbme 12 i got 212 .Now that is where i realised which areas i needed to work on and where i was okay and good.
STAGE 3 (2 months):I started with u world ,i used to do one block of 46 qs a day and used to read its explanations thoroughly in morning till afternoon and in the evening back to my first aid .i followed this for almost 1 month and took nbme when i was halfway thru ma uworld.I took nbme 11 got 232 .This was progress i knew i was now on the right path i followed this for another month completed world and took nbme 13 got 239.
STAGE 4(1 month):I REVISED WHOLE Uworld again along with first aid in a month and took nbme 7 got 255 .
STAGE 5(1 month 2 weeks) :This is showtime now was the time to master ur fears,fix ur morning schedule and i completed my left over kaplan bank (only question not explanation) revised all content i studied over in rigourous schedule took nbme 15 got 250 ,then nbme 16 243,nbme 17 256 .i was ready to go i booked my exam from 2 week from that date gave first aid a final read in 12 days .took uwsa 1 gt 265.uwsa 2 264 and went to take exam.

EXAM:IT WAS hard ,but i did so many questions under test like conditions that i was ready for all WTF question and just didn't panic ,made educated guesses and had confidence in my self.Still made many silly mistakes but thats normal.IF you can handle the exam day anxiety you can rock it .I wish i curve hit 250 but ma medical school tenure was not so kool at all so this was the max i cud do in these 8 months.

Things to follow: make a timetable and stick to it no matter what.Always revise material according to your nbme progress card.Uworld explanation is gold study them thoroughly.Do all nbme in online mode and exam has become a monster never go for exam if you don't get above your target scores in atkeast 2 nbme and nbme 16 specifically.Dont just pickup a book and start reading ,switch to reference books only in weak areas shown by your nbme plzz,studying goljan or kaplan again n again would guarantee you big scores is crap.Questions and question will help you .I did over 5000 questions STAY MOTIVATED EVERY SUCCESS COMES WITH A TAG

*all people out there who are getting below 220 in ur names and have target of 230 or 240 ,you have gross deficiency in your basics,take it easy relax postpone your exam revise ur basic again and then do nbme then ul see da change .There is 5 percent chance that ul score above ur nbme in real deal if its below 220. LAST month should be one book and you in corner of your room throw all other material out of the window stay focussed and hit it big .Never have study partner who is scoring below u or has stupid ideas or isn't serious,its passive stupidity that we get from stupid ppl they l drag you down follow sp who is real good

See less See more
#2 ·
HI

My purpose of writing a review is not for those people who are very focussed and orientated in their study but for those out there who are very outgoing and have difficulty focussing .

I have been a very hippy and social person throughout ma medical skool so initially i had trouble focussing so i decided that there is no way i was going get above 240 with disturbance so i moved to my hometown where i had no friends at all.I took out 8 months and fixed it only for step 1.To excel this exam we need castle of peace,if you have kids sell them and if you have people around you get rid of them at the end no one will take ur excuse of nt scoring its u only u who is bona be held responsible.EXERCISE,EAT WELL,CLOSE YOUR FB.

PREPARATION:
STAGE 1(3 months): As i mentioned i was having hard time focussing so what i did was
I did immunology,microbiology,genetics ,biostatits cell biology from Kaplan lecture notes
i did all systems from organs system book from first aid authors,it was very good it was divided in systems and really helped me cover anatomy,physio,embro and pathology in proper detail not extensive but right where the money was.I included pathoma for organ system and goljan for general pathology only. IT TOOK ME 3 MONTHS FOR DIS
STAGE 2(1 month 10 days) :Now i started with first aid gave it a read in 25 days completely and started kaplan bank along with it,when i was thru half of my kaplan bank ,i started with another quick read of first aid in 15 days and took nbme 12 i got 212 .Now that is where i realised which areas i needed to work on and where i was okay and good.
STAGE 3 (2 months):I started with u world ,i used to do one block of 46 qs a day and used to read its explanations thoroughly in morning till afternoon and in the evening back to my first aid .i followed this for almost 1 month and took nbme when i was halfway thru ma uworld.I took nbme 11 got 232 .This was progress i knew i was now on the right path i followed this for another month completed world and took nbme 13 got 239.
STAGE 4(1 month):I REVISED WHOLE Uworld again along with first aid in a month and took nbme 7 got 255 .
STAGE 5(1 month 2 weeks) :This is showtime now was the time to master ur fears,fix ur morning schedule and i completed my left over kaplan bank (only question not explanation) revised all content i studied over in rigourous schedule took nbme 15 got 250 ,then nbme 16 243,nbme 17 256 .i was ready to go i booked my exam from 2 week from that date gave first aid a final read in 12 days .took uwsa 1 gt 265.uwsa 2 264 and went to take exam.

EXAM:IT WAS hard ,but i did so many questions under test like conditions that i was ready for all WTF question and just didn't panic ,made educated guesses and had confidence in my self.Still made many silly mistakes but thats normal.IF you can handle the exam day anxiety you can rock it .I wish i curve hit 250 but ma medical school tenure was not so kool at all so this was the max i cud do in these 8 months.

Things to follow: make a timetable and stick to it no matter what.Always revise material according to your nbme progress card.Uworld explanation is gold study them thoroughly.Do all nbme in online mode and exam has become a monster never go for exam if you don't get above your target scores in atkeast 2 nbme and nbme 16 specifically.Dont just pickup a book and start reading ,switch to reference books only in weak areas shown by your nbme plzz,studying goljan or kaplan again n again would guarantee you big scores is crap.Questions and question will help you .I did over 5000 questions STAY MOTIVATED EVERY SUCCESS COMES WITH A TAG

*all people out there who are getting below 220 in ur names and have target of 230 or 240 ,you have gross deficiency in your basics,take it easy relax postpone your exam revise ur basic again and then do nbme then ul see da change .There is 5 percent chance that ul score above ur nbme in real deal if its below 220. LAST month should be one book and you in corner of your room throw all other material out of the window stay focussed and hit it big .Never have study partner who is scoring below u or has stupid ideas or isn't serious,its passive stupidity that we get from stupid ppl they l drag you down follow sp who is real good
Wow!!!! your score is great, I'm an IMG and planning on taking the test in 3 weeks from now, my highest score 211 twice. It seems like I can not get any higher than that. I tend to make so silly mistakes and I think it's because of my English. I already went through UW twice and I got sick of it I sore on average 83% in my last 20 blocks of 46 Q's.
What should I do to be safe on the real deal?
Do you think just reading last time my weak areas and reviewing the NBME's would be enough?

Thanks!!!

#7 ·
Wow!!!! your score is great, I'm an IMG and planning on taking the test in 3 weeks from now, my highest score 211 twice. It seems like I can not get any higher than that. I tend to make so silly mistakes and I think it's because of my English. I already went through UW twice and I got sick of it I sore on average 83% in my last 20 blocks of 46 Q's.
What should I do to be safe on the real deal?
Do you think just reading last time my weak areas and reviewing the NBME's would be enough?

Thanks!!!
Have you taken the newer NBME? Those will give a good predictor.

#3 ·
luis i was in same problem like u scoring 212 in nbme and didn't knew what to do.Here is the thing for imgs without a good score dere is no point whether u fresh graduate or usce .Carribean students do there rotations in united states still dere matching percentage is arnd 5 percent which means scores are the most imp thing there.Now 211 means below 220 which show u have gross deficiency in ur basics.
Take it easy ,relax close ur books go on a 5 day vacation cum back and revise ur basics frm ur kaplan very quickly in 2 months ,den read fa once again in 15 days and ul see the diff urself buddy i guarantee u this ,include kaplan bank jus for practice.I can guarantee u 230 in ur nbme by den .After that u revise ur Uworld concepts once again ,sharpen weak areas on nbme graphs and ul get 235 -240 above that it depends on ur capacity.
But if u say u dun have time or u can't then buddy there is nuthn that cud be done ,u can't sit in steps hoping for a miracle ,so upto u :)

#4 ·
Thanks so much Sam!!!
I haven't scheduled my test yet, so I'm going to keep studying taking another nbme soon and after that I'll have an idea how much longer. Unfortunately I have to work I took few months off, but now must return so that's what really puts pressure on me. Thanks again for your advice and good luck!!!

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.