USMLE Forums banner

Which Vitamin deficiency in Bowed legs

6K views 26 replies 14 participants last post by  Hitman 
#1 ·
A 14-month-old baby boy is brought to your office by his mother because he seems to be in pain whenever he tries to move. During your physical examination you note bowing of his legs, depression of the sternum with outward projection of the ends of the ribs, reluctance to move his limbs, and numerous bruises on his legs as well as gingival hemorrhages. These findings lead you to suspect that this child suffers from a dietary deficiency of which of the following vitamins?

A. A
B. B1 (thiamine)
C. B12 (cyanocobalamin)
D. C (ascorbate)
E. D (calciferol)

#7 ·
Ans E. Vitamin D

the patient has rickets .defficiency of vit D presents as bowing of bones, rachitic rosary (beading of ribs) and muscle weakness(floppy baby)

but bruising and gingival haemorrhage is making me confused.
i still go with E.
I think bruising and hemorrhage are not due to vitC def in this case. They indicate thrombocytopenia. Thrombocytopenia with cortisol treatment and vitamin D deficiency could have happened during pregnancy.

Could you post the explanation of the case? Where do you get this Q?:mad:

#13 ·
it is vit D def----Rickets---defective mineralization--bowing of wt bearing bones laterally--Rachitic rosary all these suggest its Vitamin D def.i think the question was supposed to ask which of the vitamin def's cause the above symptoms which would include Vit C def based on gingival bleeding and numerous bruises.

#18 ·
A very good Q!!!!

According to the case, the child is brought with the complains of painful limb movements which are indicative of vit C def-subperiosteal hematomas. ( also bruises and haemorrhages). we do see the signs of vit D def but they are not the primary complains of the mother, they are just added physical findings. Hence i feel to this above scenario, vit C def would be a better answer.

#23 ·
According to the case, the child is brought with the complains of painful limb movements which are indicative of vit C def-subperiosteal hematomas. ( also bruises and haemorrhages). we do see the signs of vit D def but they are not the primary complains of the mother, they are just added physical findings. Hence i feel to this above scenario, vit C def would be a better answer.
good explanation and this is the answer

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.