Step 1 is no longer Step 1? - USMLE Forums
USMLE Forums Logo
USMLE Forums         Your Reliable USMLE Online Community     Members     Posts
Home
USMLE Articles
USMLE News
USMLE Polls
USMLE Books
USMLE Apps
Go Back   USMLE Forums > General Topics Forum

General Topics Forum Useful USMLE preparation and exam taking discussion, guides, resources, ads, services, problems, and more


Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
  #1  
Old 12-06-2009
USMLE Forums Scout
 
Steps History: Step 1 Only
Posts: 82
Threads: 4
Thanked 80 Times in 30 Posts
Reputation: 90
Question Step 1 is no longer Step 1?

I did not take step 1 yet
If anyone has taken it please enlighten me about this issue
I am doing qbanks and I see questions that are purely clinical such as
  • Calculate the APGAR score
  • Choose antidepressent to a complicated psychosis patient
  • How to manage MI patient
  • EKGs with difficult interpretation
  • Diagnosis of some awkward syndromes
  • and many others

What's going on
Is the boundary between step1 and CK has been blurred

Last edited by lee-usmle; 02-01-2010 at 07:21 PM. Reason: Linking text
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message



  #2  
Old 12-06-2009
USMLE Forums Newbie
 
Steps History: 1+CK+CS
Posts: 7
Threads: 0
Thanked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Reputation: 12
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by GNND85 View Post
I did not take step 1 yet
If anyone has taken it please enlighten me about this issue
I am doing qbanks and I see questions that are purely clinical such as
  • Calculate the APGAR score
  • Choose antidepressent to a complicated psychosis patient
  • How to manage MI patient
  • EKGs with difficult interpretation
  • Diagnosis of some awkward syndromes
  • and many others

What's going on
Is the boundary between step1 and CK has been blurred
you are absolutely right !

14 months ago, i took step 1 and found many clinical questions,
one EKG,
2 heart sounds,
treatment of simple UTI,
changes in normal pregnancy vs abnormal
and much more ! > 20 in total

be prepared and win the war !

best of luck
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
  #3  
Old 12-15-2009
3irfan's Avatar
USMLE Forums Scout
 
Steps History: Not yet
Posts: 17
Threads: 3
Thanked 40 Times in 8 Posts
Reputation: 50
Default

This is really a big problem
I am a medical student and I don't have much clinical experience and I find these UW and Kaplan questions that require diagnosis of a complex clinical case really annoying.
These should not test our clinical knowledge this during our preclinical years
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
  #4  
Old 12-25-2009
USMLE Forums Scout
 
Steps History: Not yet
Posts: 35
Threads: 4
Thanked 25 Times in 16 Posts
Reputation: 35
Default

caan't challenge USMLE..... can u???? so get adapted to watever they want from you.... da only solution.....

best of luck to all!!!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
  #5  
Old 12-25-2009
3irfan's Avatar
USMLE Forums Scout
 
Steps History: Not yet
Posts: 17
Threads: 3
Thanked 40 Times in 8 Posts
Reputation: 50
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by fauzan View Post
caan't challenge USMLE..... can u???? so get adapted to watever they want from you.... da only solution.....

best of luck to all!!!
Yeah why not
probably one day some guy from NBME read this thread and then he send feedback to the committee that students are facing difficulty and so that they change their mind
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
  #6  
Old 12-25-2009
DrSeddik's Avatar
USMLE Forums Veteran
 
Steps History: 1+CK+CS
Posts: 236
Threads: 57
Thanked 455 Times in 107 Posts
Reputation: 468
Default

I am against taking step 1 before you finish with at least your internal medicine course at your school, espescially if you are an IMG. But it's very rare to see pure clinical questions, like what's the next step? or any question that requires clinical judgement. It's more likely that you see rare syndromes in step 1 than in CK, because they maybe correlated with specific physiological or biochemical principles, but they are rare enough not to see in your entire clinical practice.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
  #7  
Old 12-25-2009
3irfan's Avatar
USMLE Forums Scout
 
Steps History: Not yet
Posts: 17
Threads: 3
Thanked 40 Times in 8 Posts
Reputation: 50
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by DrSeddik View Post
I am against taking step 1 before you finish with at least your internal medicine course at your school, espescially if you are an IMG. But it's very rare to see pure clinical questions, like what's the next step? or any question that requires clinical judgement. It's more likely that you see rare syndromes in step 1 than in CK, because they maybe correlated with specific physiological or biochemical principles, but they are rare enough not to see in your entire clinical practice.
Most of the clinical case scenarios are purely clinical which require your clinical diagnosis then they ask you about a related basic science question but still you have to make your clinical diagnosis fist before you can answer.
Your are absolutely right, we should never take Step1 before finishing the IM course in college.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message



Reply

Quick Reply
Message:
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the USMLE Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:
Medical School
Choose "---" if you don't want to tell. AMG for US & Canadian medical schools. IMG for all other medical schools.
USMLE Steps History
What steps finished! Example: 1+CK+CS+3 = Passed Step 1, Step 2 CK, Step 2 CS, and Step 3.

Choose "---" if you don't want to tell.

Favorite USMLE Books
What USMLE books you really think are useful. Leave blank if you don't want to tell.
Location
Where you live. Leave blank if you don't want to tell.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.



Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes


RSS Feed
Find Us on Facebook
vBulletin Security provided by vBSecurity v2.2.2 (Pro) - vBulletin Mods & Addons Copyright © 2017 DragonByte Technologies Ltd.

USMLE® & other trade marks belong to their respective owners, read full disclaimer
USMLE Forums created under Creative Commons 3.0 License. (2009-2014)