Being in USA or not being in USA! - USMLE Forums
USMLE Forums Logo
USMLE Forums         Your Reliable USMLE Online Community     Members     Posts
Home
USMLE Articles
USMLE News
USMLE Polls
USMLE Books
USMLE Apps
Go Back   USMLE Forums > General Topics Forum

General Topics Forum Useful USMLE preparation and exam taking discussion, guides, resources, ads, services, problems, and more


Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
  #1  
Old 08-30-2012
USMLE Forums Newbie
 
Steps History: Not yet
Posts: 7
Threads: 2
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Reputation: 10
USA Being in USA or not being in USA!

hi everyone !!

i m new at usmle :S still searching if it is gonna be really good for me or not.
actually i had never thought about it before till my ex boyfriend put this idea into my mind.. but now, he is gone and i m on my own. on the other hand , i thought maybe i should consider usmle as a choice.

plsssss help me !! what is positive and what is negative in usmle ???
which one should i choose?? being in usa or not being in usa???
thnk u soo much
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message



  #2  
Old 08-30-2012
chux's Avatar
USMLE Forums Addict
 
Steps History: ---
Posts: 110
Threads: 4
Thanked 32 Times in 28 Posts
Reputation: 42
Send a message via AIM to chux
Default

What's your point honeycan't undastand your question proper.
If you want to write USMLE and you have relatives to support u in the US,you should apply for visa & start preparing for the exam But being in USA does not guarantee your chances of practicing medicine here infect less than 10% IMG's succed(maybe u will be in that 10%
Goodluck
__________________
focus
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
  #3  
Old 08-30-2012
USMLE Forums Newbie
 
Steps History: Not yet
Posts: 7
Threads: 2
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Reputation: 10
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by chux View Post
What's your point honeycan't undastand your question proper.
If you want to write USMLE and you have relatives to support u in the US,you should apply for visa & start preparing for the exam But being in USA does not guarantee your chances of practicing medicine here infect less than 10% IMG's succed(maybe u will be in that 10%
Goodluck
thnx for replying chux
as i said, i m still thinking about taking the exam. i mean i can't be sure which one i choose : staying in my home country or taking usmle ??
so i was just wondering about that why do people (ımg s) take this exam. i mean what made you to decide to take it

if someone replies my post and say their reason ,why are they taking the exam maybe i can decide what i am gonna do easily
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
  #4  
Old 08-30-2012
USMLE Forums Scout
 
Steps History: Step 1 Only
Posts: 41
Threads: 1
Thanked 53 Times in 34 Posts
Reputation: 63
Default

that's a personal decision and no one can decided for u, not even a bf or ex. There's a lot of benefits if u decided to take the usmle and get matched in a residency, but u also need to think about that means leaving ur country and family behind.

Either way If I were u and had the money, the time and facility to take the usmle I would take it even if I probably u're going to stay in what ever country u're, because u never know how things are going to be in ur future, and u want to make sure at least u have that free ticket to get to usa. Plus don't forget that is better to take the test now when u are familiar with a lot of things, than when u're already working, u won't find the time and maybe u will forgot about a lot of things.

As for me I need to take the test even if I don't want to because if not I can't enter into internship
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
The above post was thanked by:
ekrts (08-31-2012), meanmr.mustard (09-02-2012)
  #5  
Old 08-30-2012
koolkiller88's Avatar
USMLE Forums Master
 
Steps History: Step 1 Only
Posts: 864
Threads: 62
Thanked 374 Times in 225 Posts
Reputation: 384
Default Usmle

Quote:
Originally Posted by ekrts View Post
hi everyone !!

i m new at usmle :S still searching if it is gonna be really good for me or not.
actually i had never thought about it before till my ex boyfriend put this idea into my mind.. but now, he is gone and i m on my own. on the other hand , i thought maybe i should consider usmle as a choice.

plsssss help me !! what is positive and what is negative in usmle ???
which one should i choose?? being in usa or not being in usa???
thnk u soo much
Don't consider usmle as a choice-
USMLE it self is a gigantic exam monster. So the moment you decide about usmle then your only aim should be usmle steps.

Having US green card always help people during matching period but there are other factors like- good scores (for IM-230 in step 1 and step 2 CK), good LORs (letter of recommendation) and sufficient amount of US clinical experience which are kinda must to get into good residency match.
Hope i answered your quires. If you still have any particular question. Let us know.
__________________
One day i will infect these microbes and they will search for "Anti-MEbiotic"....
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
  #6  
Old 08-30-2012
tootsie's Avatar
USMLE Forums Guru
 
Steps History: Not yet
Posts: 433
Threads: 16
Thanked 284 Times in 199 Posts
Reputation: 294
Default

Wait a min, hold the phone....

Only 10% of IMG succeed in US? Is this for real?

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
  #7  
Old 08-30-2012
USMLE Forums Scout
 
Steps History: Not yet
Posts: 30
Threads: 7
Thanked 9 Times in 7 Posts
Reputation: 19
Default

hey I totally relate to your situation,my ex boy friend (we broke up recently) was supposed to move to United States so asked me to start the prep for usmle during my graduation and sit atleast one step before graduating.So i started the prep bought the books,all sorts of material etc and was enjoying studying for it,there was stress as well coz I had to sit the exam soon.
Anyways so we broke up,so that means now I have no reason why I would wanna go to US or sit this exam.But eventually with time I have realised this is what I wanna do in life coz of great career prospects ahead in case you get great scores in various step exams.Lets be more career oriented more than anything.People come and go,career is only what matters in the end.So chose the best for yourself and start with the efforts NOW before its too late.
I wish you Lots of Luck for your future ahead x
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
  #8  
Old 08-30-2012
chux's Avatar
USMLE Forums Addict
 
Steps History: ---
Posts: 110
Threads: 4
Thanked 32 Times in 28 Posts
Reputation: 42
Send a message via AIM to chux
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by tootsie View Post
Wait a min, hold the phone....

Only 10% of IMG succeed in US? Is this for real?

lol..didn't mean to scare anyone but check your classmates already in the US that are in residency?most imgs end up in other careers especially those that scored low.

@ekrts
If you don't have plans relocating to US,pls don't waste your energy/time & money for this exam.it's a monster but doable moreover the result expires after 7 yrs.if you have a better life in your homecountry,ignore usmle
__________________
focus
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
  #9  
Old 08-31-2012
USMLE Forums Newbie
 
Steps History: Not yet
Posts: 7
Threads: 2
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Reputation: 10
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skyprincess View Post
hey I totally relate to your situation,my ex boy friend (we broke up recently) was supposed to move to United States so asked me to start the prep for usmle during my graduation and sit atleast one step before graduating.So i started the prep bought the books,all sorts of material etc and was enjoying studying for it,there was stress as well coz I had to sit the exam soon.
Anyways so we broke up,so that means now I have no reason why I would wanna go to US or sit this exam.But eventually with time I have realised this is what I wanna do in life coz of great career prospects ahead in case you get great scores in various step exams.Lets be more career oriented more than anything.People come and go,career is only what matters in the end.So chose the best for yourself and start with the efforts NOW before its too late.
I wish you Lots of Luck for your future ahead x
yes u are so right , people come and go. so lets move on
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
  #10  
Old 08-31-2012
USMLE Forums Newbie
 
Steps History: Not yet
Posts: 7
Threads: 2
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Reputation: 10
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by chux View Post
lol..didn't mean to scare anyone but check your classmates already in the US that are in residency?most imgs end up in other careers especially those that scored low.

@ekrts
If you don't have plans relocating to US,pls don't waste your energy/time & money for this exam.it's a monster but doable moreover the result expires after 7 yrs.if you have a better life in your homecountry,ignore usmle
in my own country we have an exam that u have to succeed to be a specialist , which is called "tus" , and it is chosed as the second difficult exam in the world this year. And the most difficult exam was in amerika which is about law - i don't know what its name is- .

so what would you think
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
  #11  
Old 08-31-2012
USMLE Forums Scout
 
Steps History: 1+CK+CS
Posts: 22
Threads: 4
Thanked 8 Times in 7 Posts
Reputation: 18
Default

Guys doctors who live out side america live great life; personally i know lot of people who have a house like palace, a driver who opens door for them, servants who cook for them .................... America is not only land of immigrant but it has its own principle and way of life. If you admire american way of life, hardwork and play by rules; welcome to america.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
The above post was thanked by:
ekrts (08-31-2012)
  #12  
Old 08-31-2012
USMLE Forums Newbie
 
Steps History: Not yet
Posts: 7
Threads: 2
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Reputation: 10
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by roger_33716 View Post
Guys doctors who live out side america live great life; personally i know lot of people who have a house like palace, a driver who opens door for them, servants who cook for them .................... America is not only land of immigrant but it has its own principle and way of life. If you admire american way of life, hardwork and play by rules; welcome to america.
i am asking just for curiosity where those people who live great life ?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message



Reply

Tags
Off-Topics-

Quick Reply
Message:
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the USMLE Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:
Medical School
Choose "---" if you don't want to tell. AMG for US & Canadian medical schools. IMG for all other medical schools.
USMLE Steps History
What steps finished! Example: 1+CK+CS+3 = Passed Step 1, Step 2 CK, Step 2 CS, and Step 3.

Choose "---" if you don't want to tell.

Favorite USMLE Books
What USMLE books you really think are useful. Leave blank if you don't want to tell.
Location
Where you live. Leave blank if you don't want to tell.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.



Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes


RSS Feed
Find Us on Facebook
vBulletin Security provided by vBSecurity v2.2.2 (Pro) - vBulletin Mods & Addons Copyright © 2017 DragonByte Technologies Ltd.

USMLE® & other trade marks belong to their respective owners, read full disclaimer
USMLE Forums created under Creative Commons 3.0 License. (2009-2014)