Exam phobia Panic - USMLE Forums
USMLE Forums Logo
USMLE Forums         Your Reliable USMLE Online Community     Members     Posts
Home
USMLE Articles
USMLE News
USMLE Polls
USMLE Books
USMLE Apps
Go Back   USMLE Forums > General Topics Forum

General Topics Forum Useful USMLE preparation and exam taking discussion, guides, resources, ads, services, problems, and more


Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
  #1  
Old 10-24-2009
USMLE Forums Newbie
 
Steps History: Not yet
Posts: 5
Threads: 2
Thanked 1 Time in 1 Post
Reputation: 11
Unhappy Exam phobia Panic

Dear friends,

I have a problem that I sometimes face while taking medical school exam.

I suddenly panic and have thought block and I cannot proceed anymore, I start crying and I give up and I just cannot continue the exam.

What to do in such case.

I appreciate any help guys.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message



  #2  
Old 10-24-2009
mary's Avatar
USMLE Forums Guru
 
Steps History: 1+CK+CS
Posts: 339
Threads: 12
Thanked 421 Times in 143 Posts
Reputation: 431
Default

I had a similar problem and I visited a psychiatrist for advice.

Out of all the techniques he recommended, only one worked for me which is this

Close your eyes, take deep repeated breaths, think of something completely unrelated to the exam and that provokes a pleasant feeling (in my case was thinking of my son). Do this for one minute. Then return back to the questions.

It worked for me
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
The above post was thanked by:
Marinda (10-24-2009)
  #3  
Old 10-24-2009
USMLE Forums Addict
 
Steps History: 1 + CK
Posts: 125
Threads: 27
Thanked 35 Times in 21 Posts
Reputation: 55
Default sounds serious

Well I would go see a psychiatrist, does this happen on any other occasion, sound serious and I never met anyone like that before, just think happy thoughts and hope you do well on your exam
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
The above post was thanked by:
Marinda (10-24-2009)
  #4  
Old 10-24-2009
USMLE Forums Newbie
 
Steps History: Not yet
Posts: 5
Threads: 2
Thanked 1 Time in 1 Post
Reputation: 11
Unhappy

Quote:
Originally Posted by jessp687 View Post
Well I would go see a psychiatrist, does this happen on any other occasion, sound serious and I never met anyone like that before, just think happy thoughts and hope you do well on your exam
It does happen to me sometimes in extreme stressful situations.
but i don't freak out as in the case of medical exam
my parents are asking me to give up medical school because of this
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
  #5  
Old 10-24-2009
USMLE Forums Addict
 
Steps History: 1 + CK
Posts: 125
Threads: 27
Thanked 35 Times in 21 Posts
Reputation: 55
Default not good for USMLE or dealing with PATIENTS

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marinda View Post
It does happen to me sometimes in extreme stressful situations.
but i don't freak out as in the case of medical exam
my parents are asking me to give up medical school because of this
Well, I did some Psychology and counseling before changing to med school, you are going to need to toughen up if you want to be a doctor. Have someone quiz you at home after your studies maybe this will make it easier for you...But check with a Psychiatrist to make sure you dont have an anxiety disorder,( if this happens in other instances)
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
  #6  
Old 10-25-2009
USMLE Forums Veteran
 
Steps History: ---
Posts: 238
Threads: 56
Thanked 200 Times in 60 Posts
Reputation: 230
Default

I do not know if this will help, but sometimes I get all agitated and nervous too. Then one of my friends recommended this "alpha-break" tape. Its an audio clip with someone speaking to you in a very nice and gentle way, it triggers your brain to go to an alpha stage, where you are more calm and focused. It works for me, and i hope it will work for you too.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
  #7  
Old 10-25-2009
USMLE Forums Newbie
 
Steps History: Not yet
Posts: 5
Threads: 2
Thanked 1 Time in 1 Post
Reputation: 11
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by lemontea88 View Post
I do not know if this will help, but sometimes I get all agitated and nervous too. Then one of my friends recommended this "alpha-break" tape. Its an audio clip with someone speaking to you in a very nice and gentle way, it triggers your brain to go to an alpha stage, where you are more calm and focused. It works for me, and i hope it will work for you too.
Can you tell me where can get that tape?

and how can use it during USMLE exam !!!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
  #8  
Old 10-25-2009
USMLE Forums Veteran
 
Steps History: ---
Posts: 238
Threads: 56
Thanked 200 Times in 60 Posts
Reputation: 230
Default

The one I am always using one is from itunes podcast "Learn-out-loud : Alpha break tape".

But this kinda stuff can be found all over the net. I sourced one for you as an example, take a look at it!http://www.efflearn.com/product_info.php/products_id/3
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
  #9  
Old 10-25-2009
superwild's Avatar
USMLE Forums Scout
 
Steps History: 1+CK+CS
Posts: 49
Threads: 4
Thanked 43 Times in 15 Posts
Reputation: 53
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by lemontea88 View Post
The one I am always using one is from itunes podcast "Learn-out-loud : Alpha break tape".

But this kinda stuff can be found all over the net. I sourced one for you as an example, take a look at it!http://www.efflearn.com/product_info.php/products_id/3
but you did not answer her other question
How she's going to use that in the USMLE exam!!!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
  #10  
Old 10-25-2009
USMLE Forums Veteran
 
Steps History: ---
Posts: 238
Threads: 56
Thanked 200 Times in 60 Posts
Reputation: 230
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by superwild View Post
but you did not answer her other question
How she's going to use that in the USMLE exam!!!
Ohh. What I would recommend is whenever you start your day doing the Qbanks imagine that you are taking the USMLE, then listen the tape before you start your Qbanks. It will really calm you down, and help you get more focused. You will start to realise (hopefully) that you are slowly learning on how to stay calm and enter the "alpha-wave" state of mind. On the exam day, before you go to sit for your exam, listen to the tape again. But i would think that since you already learned the skill of staying calm, you would no longer need the tape during the actual exam day.

Of course, this is no replacement for professional therapy. But maybe before you see a psychologist, you can try this method first.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
  #11  
Old 10-25-2009
USMLE Forums Newbie
 
Steps History: 1+CK+CS+3
Posts: 8
Threads: 1
Thanked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Reputation: 12
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marinda View Post
Dear friends,

I have a problem that I sometimes face while taking medical school exam.

I suddenly panic and have thought block and I cannot proceed anymore, I start crying and I give up and I just cannot continue the exam.

What to do in such case.

I appreciate any help guys.
my friend had same issue. Do not take xanax to relieve anxiety since it causes drowsiness. Use inderal or propranolol, most symptoms will disappear.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message



Reply

Tags
Exam-Taking

Quick Reply
Message:
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the USMLE Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:
Medical School
Choose "---" if you don't want to tell. AMG for US & Canadian medical schools. IMG for all other medical schools.
USMLE Steps History
What steps finished! Example: 1+CK+CS+3 = Passed Step 1, Step 2 CK, Step 2 CS, and Step 3.

Choose "---" if you don't want to tell.

Favorite USMLE Books
What USMLE books you really think are useful. Leave blank if you don't want to tell.
Location
Where you live. Leave blank if you don't want to tell.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.



Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
DVT, Panic attack, and Cancer! saintdizzy USMLE Step 1 Forum 11 07-03-2011 10:53 PM
Phobia vs. Generalised anxiety schiwei USMLE Step 1 Forum 0 12-14-2010 06:26 AM
Drug of choice for panic attacks dranant USMLE Step 1 Forum 3 08-17-2010 10:15 AM
Panic. In deep S... USMLE Step 1 Forum 4 06-27-2010 09:30 PM
Mitral Valve Prolapse and Panic Attacks! Jeanne87 USMLE Step 2 CK Forum 1 06-09-2010 12:53 PM

RSS Feed
Find Us on Facebook
vBulletin Security provided by vBSecurity v2.2.2 (Pro) - vBulletin Mods & Addons Copyright © 2017 DragonByte Technologies Ltd.

USMLE® & other trade marks belong to their respective owners, read full disclaimer
USMLE Forums created under Creative Commons 3.0 License. (2009-2014)