IMGs; How to explain gaps in the CV - USMLE Forums
USMLE Forums Logo
USMLE Forums         Your Reliable USMLE Online Community     Members     Posts
Home
USMLE Articles
USMLE News
USMLE Polls
USMLE Books
USMLE Apps
Go Back   USMLE Forums > General Topics Forum

General Topics Forum Useful USMLE preparation and exam taking discussion, guides, resources, ads, services, problems, and more


Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
  #1  
Old 04-14-2011
USMLE Forums Addict
 
Steps History: 1+CK+CS
Posts: 144
Threads: 47
Thanked 41 Times in 28 Posts
Reputation: 51
Question IMGs; How to explain gaps in the CV

hello actually iam confuse now iam graduate and iam preparing for step1 didnt join any hospital rt now as iam those kind of ppl who can do one thing at a time during my internship i thought to give usmle step1 but my studies were so bad and after giving one diagnostic test i new ill wont score good even pass as one of my frnd failed so i thought after ill graduate ill study and give but recently someone told me if u planning to sit at home for yr for both usmle step1 and 2 u need to give them good explanation iam so confuse now what the way can we cover up this 1 yr gap after going for externship etc
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
The above post was thanked by:
7802 (04-19-2011), drzamzam (12-24-2011), roodiemd (10-15-2012), Zubairee (05-19-2011)



  #2  
Old 04-15-2011
USMLE Forums Veteran
 
Steps History: Not yet
Posts: 236
Threads: 4
Thanked 124 Times in 96 Posts
Reputation: 134
Default

Yes the PD might ask sometimes . Do not try to cover up ! be frank and truthful....that helps ! if they see u r frank and accepts ur weakness it better

But dont mention it in ur PS .....answer if only asked in the interview
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
The above post was thanked by:
priya1 (04-18-2011), roodiemd (10-15-2012), tootsie (12-01-2012)
  #3  
Old 04-18-2011
USMLE Forums Addict
 
Steps History: 1+CK+CS
Posts: 144
Threads: 47
Thanked 41 Times in 28 Posts
Reputation: 51
Default

Thanks,
I guess that is the only way
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
The above post was thanked by:
roodiemd (10-15-2012)
 
  #4  
Old 04-18-2011
USMLE Forums Master
 
Steps History: 1+CK+CS+3
Posts: 3,263
Threads: 147
Thanked 5,030 Times in 1,566 Posts
Reputation: 5126
Arrow You can still cover up

Although you should not be lying in your CV and you should be honest, there are ways that you can mitigate the effect of your gaps.

Examples:
  • Doing online CME and courses. This will be highly regarded and recognized by program directors.
  • Extending the dates on your observership (in agreement with the attending)
  • Volunteering in the local community (any volunteer job is highly regarded by PDs)
  • Taking extra courses, such as learning Spanish, learning EMR, learning Medical Transcription ..etc
  • Taking BLS/CPR, ACLS, and/or PALS courses
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
The above post was thanked by:
7802 (04-19-2011), angelina vivien (09-13-2011), drmoth (01-05-2015), DrTareq (05-19-2011), drzamzam (12-24-2011), gusgabino (05-06-2011), Jeesan (09-25-2011), ppsl (04-18-2011), roodiemd (10-15-2012), swwal (05-19-2015), tootsie (05-26-2011), tuflife (08-17-2013)
  #5  
Old 04-18-2011
USMLE Forums Scout
 
Steps History: 1+CK+CS
Posts: 17
Threads: 11
Thanked 14 Times in 5 Posts
Reputation: 24
Default

how to join online cme?

kindly help me
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
The above post was thanked by:
roodiemd (10-15-2012)
  #6  
Old 04-18-2011
USMLE Forums Master
 
Steps History: 1+CK+CS+3
Posts: 3,263
Threads: 147
Thanked 5,030 Times in 1,566 Posts
Reputation: 5126
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by amit View Post
how to join online cme?

kindly help me
Search Google for online CME and you'll find hundreds of them available for free.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
The above post was thanked by:
roodiemd (10-15-2012)
  #7  
Old 04-18-2011
INCOGNITO's Avatar
USMLE Forums Guru
 
Steps History: Step 1 Only
Posts: 343
Threads: 127
Thanked 524 Times in 192 Posts
Reputation: 534
Default

wooo one of great topics to be discussed and worried about

i have some questions...

1) which CME program should be chosen?

2) can you explain some kinda volunteer jobs are available in NEW JERSEY/NY and how to start it

3) extending dates on observership ??? this seems to be much difficult practically..

4) finally can you explain how to take ACLS PALS and CPR courses...? (could these be really helpful or just waste of time)??
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
The above post was thanked by:
dr.radhakola (05-19-2011), roodiemd (10-15-2012)
  #8  
Old 04-18-2011
USMLE Forums Guru
 
Steps History: Not yet
Posts: 324
Threads: 70
Thanked 238 Times in 144 Posts
Reputation: 248
Default

if any person has a 2-3 year gap and he has not done anything in this period, is it possible to fill that gap??
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
The above post was thanked by:
roodiemd (10-15-2012)
  #9  
Old 04-18-2011
USMLE Forums Master
 
Steps History: 1+CK+CS+3
Posts: 3,263
Threads: 147
Thanked 5,030 Times in 1,566 Posts
Reputation: 5126
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by ikrimachoudry View Post
1) which CME program should be chosen?
It depends on the specialty that you will be applying to.
If you will be applying for Internal Medicine then do Internal Medicine CME. In my personal experience I found MedScape CME reliable and efficient.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
The above post was thanked by:
aknz (07-04-2013), roodiemd (10-15-2012)
  #10  
Old 04-18-2011
USMLE Forums Master
 
Steps History: 1+CK+CS+3
Posts: 3,263
Threads: 147
Thanked 5,030 Times in 1,566 Posts
Reputation: 5126
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by ikrimachoudry View Post
2) can you explain some kinda volunteer jobs are available in NEW JERSEY/NY and how to start it
I am not familiar with the New Jersey area. But you can do the following:
- Contact the local public hospital and ask them for volunteer opportunities.
- Contact the city and ask them for volunteering
- Try www.volunteermatch.org
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
The above post was thanked by:
aknz (07-04-2013), dr.radhakola (05-19-2011), roodiemd (10-15-2012), tootsie (05-26-2011)
  #11  
Old 04-18-2011
USMLE Forums Master
 
Steps History: 1+CK+CS+3
Posts: 3,263
Threads: 147
Thanked 5,030 Times in 1,566 Posts
Reputation: 5126
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by ikrimachoudry View Post
3) extending dates on observership ??? this seems to be much difficult practically..
This usually works to cover up few months of your gaps and you can't use it cover years.
Example1:
You did observership with Dr. X for one day per weeks during July - August - September. Contact Dr. X and ask him/her if he/she can write the LoR in a way to mention that you worked from July until September without mentioning the one day per week.
Example2:
You did observership with Dr. X for only two weeks in April. Contact Dr. X and see if he/she can mention that you continued to work until May or June.

NB) It depends on the level of personal relationship that you have achieved with Dr. X. Sometimes, this is not possible at all, so be careful.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
The above post was thanked by:
INCOGNITO (04-18-2011), roodiemd (10-15-2012)
  #12  
Old 04-18-2011
USMLE Forums Master
 
Steps History: 1+CK+CS+3
Posts: 3,263
Threads: 147
Thanked 5,030 Times in 1,566 Posts
Reputation: 5126
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by ikrimachoudry View Post
4) finally can you explain how to take ACLS PALS and CPR courses...? (could these be really helpful or just waste of time)??
In a way, it can be regarded as a waste of time because you will be already doing that before joining your residency (all programs have orientation that includes CPR/ACLS/PALS).
But on the other hand, we are talking CV gaps here, so it's certainly better to tell the PD that you have been doing CPR/ACLS during that month. They will like it and they will get a feeling that you are determined and focused and not wasting your time.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
The above post was thanked by:
INCOGNITO (04-18-2011), roodiemd (10-15-2012)
  #13  
Old 04-18-2011
USMLE Forums Master
 
Steps History: 1+CK+CS+3
Posts: 3,263
Threads: 147
Thanked 5,030 Times in 1,566 Posts
Reputation: 5126
Stop I don't think it's possible

Quote:
Originally Posted by struggle View Post
if any person has a 2-3 year gap and he has not done anything in this period, is it possible to fill that gap??
I don't think it's possible to fill gaps retrospectively.
You can do prospectively only.
I mean, for the next year, you do the things that I mentioned, but it's not possible to back date the stuff that am referring to (the cme, courses, volunteer, ..etc)
Again, back to rule No.1, never lie in your CV.

Let me tell you a story.

I have friend who has been off the clinical work for around 3 years (during that time he worked in Starbucks, Gas stations, and reading for the USMLE). Then he found a friend who was willing to fake an LoR for him, saying that he was volunteering for a certain hospital.
Then he applied to residency.
Then in the interview, he was caught lying about those three years and they kicked him off.
Later the PD told him in person, that he would have accepted him if he told the truth (the Starbucks and gas station experience!)
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
The above post was thanked by:
angelina vivien (09-13-2011), DrTareq (05-19-2011), ElizabethNYC (04-18-2011), Joanna (03-28-2012), priya1 (04-18-2011), rani001 (08-28-2013), struggle (04-18-2011), tootsie (05-26-2011)
  #14  
Old 04-19-2011
USMLE Forums Veteran
 
Steps History: Not yet
Posts: 236
Threads: 4
Thanked 124 Times in 96 Posts
Reputation: 134
Default @Step taker

Hey

I have been active in Medscape and emedicine [both are same right ??] for a long time .............So how can these CME be useful in step 1 application ???
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
The above post was thanked by:
iomega61 (04-21-2011), Prateek.G (12-18-2011)
  #15  
Old 04-19-2011
wenskyrose's Avatar
USMLE Forums Addict
 
Steps History: CS Only
Posts: 120
Threads: 25
Thanked 121 Times in 23 Posts
Reputation: 131
Default cv for electives?

Quote:
Originally Posted by StepTaker View Post
Although you should not be lying in your CV and you should be honest, there are ways that you can mitigate the effect of your gaps.

Examples:
  • Doing online CME and courses. This will be highly regarded and recognized by program directors.
  • Extending the dates on your observership (in agreement with the attending)
  • Volunteering in the local community (any volunteer job is highly regarded by PDs)
  • Taking extra courses, such as learning Spanish, learning EMR, learning Medical Transcription ..etc
  • Taking BLS/CPR, ACLS, and/or PALS courses
I will be applying for electives soon.. But i dont have much to write in my cv.. few of my frns who have already done clerkships suggested that i should make fake statements.. like some research done.. etc but then m afraid. so I guess I would add something genuine.. for example, I have joined red cross, Ifmsa. Is there anything else I can add?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message



  #16  
Old 04-19-2011
USMLE Forums Master
 
Steps History: 1+CK+CS+3
Posts: 3,263
Threads: 147
Thanked 5,030 Times in 1,566 Posts
Reputation: 5126
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by wenskyrose View Post
I will be applying for electives soon.. But i dont have much to write in my cv.. few of my frns who have already done clerkships suggested that i should make fake statements.. like some research done.. etc but then m afraid. so I guess I would add something genuine.. for example, I have joined red cross, Ifmsa. Is there anything else I can add?
Mention in your CV whatever medically related experience you had.
Don't mention stuff that you have not done.
Try to do the things I listed above.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
The above post was thanked by:
americandoc (10-02-2011)
  #17  
Old 04-21-2011
wenskyrose's Avatar
USMLE Forums Addict
 
Steps History: CS Only
Posts: 120
Threads: 25
Thanked 121 Times in 23 Posts
Reputation: 131
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by StepTaker View Post
Mention in your CV whatever medically related experience you had.
Don't mention stuff that you have not done.
Try to do the things I listed above.
Please could u explain how cme is done online.. What is the procedure. Also , how do u look for volunteering work around urself?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
The above post was thanked by:
americandoc (10-02-2011)
  #18  
Old 04-21-2011
USMLE Forums Master
 
Steps History: 1+CK+CS+3
Posts: 3,263
Threads: 147
Thanked 5,030 Times in 1,566 Posts
Reputation: 5126
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by wenskyrose View Post
Please could u explain how cme is done online.. What is the procedure. Also , how do u look for volunteering work around urself?
I explained how to look for volunteer oppertunities in my previous post.

As for the online CME, you register with medscape.com for example and start earning CME credit units.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
The above post was thanked by:
aknz (07-04-2013), americandoc (10-02-2011), Prateek.G (12-18-2011), wenskyrose (04-21-2011)
  #19  
Old 04-21-2011
wenskyrose's Avatar
USMLE Forums Addict
 
Steps History: CS Only
Posts: 120
Threads: 25
Thanked 121 Times in 23 Posts
Reputation: 131
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by StepTaker View Post
I explained how to look for volunteer oppertunities in my previous post.

As for the online CME, you register with medscape.com for example and start earning CME credit units.
How about free cme courses? do they carry the same value? and for the volunteer website you mentioned one is supposed to be residing USA..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
  #20  
Old 04-21-2011
USMLE Forums Master
 
Steps History: 1+CK+CS+3
Posts: 3,263
Threads: 147
Thanked 5,030 Times in 1,566 Posts
Reputation: 5126
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by wenskyrose View Post
How about free cme courses? do they carry the same value? and for the volunteer website you mentioned one is supposed to be residing USA..
Most online CME courses are free.
Yes, that website is for USA but you can look for similar options in your location if you are currently outside US.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
The above post was thanked by:
aknz (07-04-2013)
  #21  
Old 04-23-2011
wenskyrose's Avatar
USMLE Forums Addict
 
Steps History: CS Only
Posts: 120
Threads: 25
Thanked 121 Times in 23 Posts
Reputation: 131
Warning!

Quote:
Originally Posted by StepTaker View Post
Most online CME courses are free.
Yes, that website is for USA but you can look for similar options in your location if you are currently outside US.
so is it ok if we mention that I have joined this organisation as a volunteer? does that count?
also pls explain wats emr... is it electronic medical records? how do u learn emr?
and pls explain what would the advantage of learning medical transcription?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
  #22  
Old 04-23-2011
USMLE Forums Master
 
Steps History: 1+CK+CS+3
Posts: 3,263
Threads: 147
Thanked 5,030 Times in 1,566 Posts
Reputation: 5126
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by wenskyrose View Post
so is it ok if we mention that I have joined this organisation as a volunteer? does that count?
When you apply in ERAS later on, there's a whole section dedicated for volunteer jobs. Yes, you can include it in you CV and it will be respected by residency programs.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
The above post was thanked by:
aknz (07-04-2013)
  #23  
Old 04-23-2011
USMLE Forums Master
 
Steps History: 1+CK+CS+3
Posts: 3,263
Threads: 147
Thanked 5,030 Times in 1,566 Posts
Reputation: 5126
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by wenskyrose View Post
also pls explain wats emr... is it electronic medical records? how do u learn emr?
and pls explain what would the advantage of learning medical transcription?
Yes, EMR stands for Electronic Medical Records. There are online courses that can teach you stuff like EMR, Coding, Billing, Transcription, ..etc. Search Google and see which one fits your needs and ambitions.
Any certificate that you get which is related to healthcare will be better than a GAP in the CV.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
The above post was thanked by:
aknz (07-04-2013)
  #24  
Old 04-23-2011
USMLE Forums Master
 
Steps History: 1+CK+CS+3
Posts: 3,263
Threads: 147
Thanked 5,030 Times in 1,566 Posts
Reputation: 5126
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by noothan View Post
Hey

I have been active in Medscape and emedicine [both are same right ??] for a long time .............So how can these CME be useful in step 1 application ???
Yes Medscape and Emedicine have merged together few years ago.
We are not talking in this thread about the benefit of online CME for Step 1 application and I don't think they are useful in that regard.
We are talking here about filling the gaps in your CV.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
  #25  
Old 04-23-2011
wenskyrose's Avatar
USMLE Forums Addict
 
Steps History: CS Only
Posts: 120
Threads: 25
Thanked 121 Times in 23 Posts
Reputation: 131
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by StepTaker View Post
Yes, EMR stands for Electronic Medical Records. There are online courses that can teach you stuff like EMR, Coding, Billing, Transcription, ..etc. Search Google and see which one fits your needs and ambitions.
Any certificate that you get which is related to healthcare will be better than a GAP in the CV.
Actually, i am doing my internship.. i want to make a good cv( to apply for electives) for myself. I dont have an impressive academic record.. but i want to make some genuine additions to it..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message



  #26  
Old 04-30-2011
Banned
 
Steps History: Not yet
Posts: 38
Threads: 2
Thanked 17 Times in 12 Posts
Reputation: 27
Default

I'm an undergrad med student and I'll be applying for clinical electives next year. I was wondering whether doing CME would work for me too. Just to improve my CV. Or can it only be done after graduating?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
  #27  
Old 05-02-2011
hugepuppy's Avatar
USMLE Forums Scout
 
Steps History: Not yet
Posts: 37
Threads: 2
Thanked 25 Times in 18 Posts
Reputation: 35
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by asfand View Post
I'm an undergrad med student and I'll be applying for clinical electives next year. I was wondering whether doing CME would work for me too. Just to improve my CV. Or can it only be done after graduating?
You have everything you need... You finish electives in your undergraduate days and then you are well on your way to secure a residency. Try and involve yourself in some research which is done during your electives...

Probably you can also send some articles to some student conferences and if it gets accepted, go and present it... It will boost your CV
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
  #28  
Old 05-02-2011
wenskyrose's Avatar
USMLE Forums Addict
 
Steps History: CS Only
Posts: 120
Threads: 25
Thanked 121 Times in 23 Posts
Reputation: 131
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by hugepuppy View Post
You have everything you need... You finish electives in your undergraduate days and then you are well on your way to secure a residency. Try and involve yourself in some research which is done during your electives...

Probably you can also send some articles to some student conferences and if it gets accepted, go and present it... It will boost your CV
could you please eleborate on ways to do research while doing electives?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
  #29  
Old 05-03-2011
Banned
 
Steps History: Not yet
Posts: 38
Threads: 2
Thanked 17 Times in 12 Posts
Reputation: 27
Default

Okay, thank you.

Btw is doing research outside of US of any worth? Like in my own med school?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
  #30  
Old 05-05-2011
hugepuppy's Avatar
USMLE Forums Scout
 
Steps History: Not yet
Posts: 37
Threads: 2
Thanked 25 Times in 18 Posts
Reputation: 35
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by wenskyrose View Post
could you please eleborate on ways to do research while doing electives?
Firstly, if you get to do an elective, then you will do it in a teaching hospital or a university based hospital. So, you will have a steady inflow of patients and the work will be good. Secondly, the teachers or attendings or the PD's will surely be involved in some research during your electives. Find out your interests and request them so that you can be a part of their research.

Or else volunteer and show some interest in writing some case reports which have a potential to get published. Like a rare case or an unconventional method used to treat a regular disease etc...

Research without a meaningful publication is of no use.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
  #31  
Old 05-05-2011
hugepuppy's Avatar
USMLE Forums Scout
 
Steps History: Not yet
Posts: 37
Threads: 2
Thanked 25 Times in 18 Posts
Reputation: 35
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by asfand View Post
Okay, thank you.

Btw is doing research outside of US of any worth? Like in my own med school?
It is not wrong to do research in your own med school. But make sure it gets published in some peer reviewed journals if not indexed journals. Try sending your research to some student conferences and if it gets accepted then go and present it... It will surely boost your CV....

As i said before, research without a meaningful publication is of no use. Even if it gets accepted in a small student reviewed journal, it is good compared to a letter by your teacher or HOD that you did this many months of research on this topic etc....
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
  #32  
Old 05-10-2011
USMLE Forums Scout
 
Steps History: Not yet
Posts: 37
Threads: 6
Thanked 3 Times in 3 Posts
Reputation: 13
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by StepTaker View Post
I don't think it's possible to fill gaps retrospectively.
You can do prospectively only.
I mean, for the next year, you do the things that I mentioned, but it's not possible to back date the stuff that am referring to (the cme, courses, volunteer, ..etc)
Again, back to rule No.1, never lie in your CV.

Let me tell you a story.

I have friend who has been off the clinical work for around 3 years (during that time he worked in Starbucks, Gas stations, and reading for the USMLE). Then he found a friend who was willing to fake an LoR for him, saying that he was volunteering for a certain hospital.
Then he applied to residency.
Then in the interview, he was caught lying about those three years and they kicked him off.
Later the PD told him in person, that he would have accepted him if he told the truth (the Starbucks and gas station experience!)
thanks step taker ,
What I get from this story is to try to fill as much gaps in our CV before hand at least the resent one and keep ur fingers crossed for the PD to be less interested for it, seeing ur recent record, don't yourself be eager to reveal those gaps but if pointed out, be as true to PD as possible, I'm following it, and let the PD decide the rest of me and my gaps.

Thanks again.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
  #33  
Old 01-04-2015
USMLE Forums Newbie
 
Steps History: 1 + CK
Posts: 3
Threads: 1
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Reputation: 10
Default What chances do I stand??

Hi!! I am new to this forum as a member.. I am an IMG living in Canada for last couple of years and took step 1 and ck in 2014. got 249 and 241. Planning for cs in couple of months. I have this gap in my cv that gives me nightmares.
I tried to find research volunteer or volunteer opportunities in my area but was not successful. And I have been battling financial concerns ever since I got here so had to work odd jobs along with preparation.
I am planning to do some observerships in us in coming months along with preparing for cs and step 3 thereafter. I completed my graduation in December 2012 from India. And I am interested in internal medicine. Can someone please advise me what are my chances and how should I plan things ahead? Thank you.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
  #34  
Old 01-05-2015
USMLE Forums Scout
 
Steps History: CK Only
Posts: 65
Threads: 7
Thanked 12 Times in 12 Posts
Reputation: 22
Default

Can somebody plz explain to me what is CME and how it works? Am not familiar with the term.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
  #35  
Old 05-18-2015
USMLE Forums Scout
 
Steps History: Not yet
Posts: 27
Threads: 7
Thanked 5 Times in 4 Posts
Reputation: 15
Question MOOC?

Can Massive Open Online Course (MOOC) certificate/certificates be also used to mitigate the effects of the gaps?



Quote:
Originally Posted by StepTaker View Post
Although you should not be lying in your CV and you should be honest, there are ways that you can mitigate the effect of your gaps.

Examples:
  • Doing online CME and courses. This will be highly regarded and recognized by program directors.
  • Extending the dates on your observership (in agreement with the attending)
  • Volunteering in the local community (any volunteer job is highly regarded by PDs)
  • Taking extra courses, such as learning Spanish, learning EMR, learning Medical Transcription ..etc
  • Taking BLS/CPR, ACLS, and/or PALS courses
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message



  #36  
Old 09-27-2015
USMLE Forums Scout
 
Steps History: ---
Posts: 36
Threads: 2
Thanked 1 Time in 1 Post
Reputation: 11
Default GAPS

Hey guys! I am currently studying medicine in Italy. I am a US citizen. I left med school for 2 years because of financial reasons during the pre-medical portion of my MD program. My school hasn't been recognized by the Cali board yet but it is not disapproved. I am supposed to graduate in 2017. I will take another year and a half off to complete USMLE steps and to do clinical rotations to obtain LORs. What are my chances of matching into a FM program if I get high USMLE scores and good LORs? Will those gaps affect my chances negatively?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message



Reply

Tags
Curriculum-Vitae-

Quick Reply
Message:
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the USMLE Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:
Medical School
Choose "---" if you don't want to tell. AMG for US & Canadian medical schools. IMG for all other medical schools.
USMLE Steps History
What steps finished! Example: 1+CK+CS+3 = Passed Step 1, Step 2 CK, Step 2 CS, and Step 3.

Choose "---" if you don't want to tell.

Favorite USMLE Books
What USMLE books you really think are useful. Leave blank if you don't want to tell.
Location
Where you live. Leave blank if you don't want to tell.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.



Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
can someone please explain pink puffer/blue boater? DoctorB USMLE Step 1 Forum 5 10-23-2011 02:51 AM
can someone please explain anion gap metabolic acidosis? DoctorB USMLE Step 1 Forum 3 03-29-2011 10:31 PM
How can we explain "referred pain" in layman terms to a SP usmledee USMLE Step 2 CS Communication Skills 2 03-17-2011 04:41 AM
Pulmonary Shunting, Please Explain? schiwei USMLE Step 1 Forum 3 12-01-2010 08:54 AM
usmle 2 exam gaps FSUSTC USMLE Step 2 CK Forum 1 02-09-2010 03:26 PM

RSS Feed
Find Us on Facebook
vBulletin Security provided by vBSecurity v2.2.2 (Pro) - vBulletin Mods & Addons Copyright © 2017 DragonByte Technologies Ltd.

USMLE® & other trade marks belong to their respective owners, read full disclaimer
USMLE Forums created under Creative Commons 3.0 License. (2009-2014)