Conrad Fischer said that IMG matching would be much less in the next three years - USMLE Forums
USMLE Forums Logo
USMLE Forums         Your Reliable USMLE Online Community     Members     Posts
Home
USMLE Articles
USMLE News
USMLE Polls
USMLE Books
USMLE Apps
Go Back   USMLE Forums > IMG/FMG Forum

IMG/FMG Forum International Medical Graduates Forum.


Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
  #1  
Old 06-11-2011
INCOGNITO's Avatar
USMLE Forums Guru
 
Steps History: Step 1 Only
Posts: 343
Threads: 127
Thanked 524 Times in 192 Posts
Reputation: 534
Unhappy Conrad Fischer said that IMG matching would be much less in the next three years

Today during Kaplan Medical physiology live lecture, Conrad Fischer just made me depressed and scared me by saying that as the number of Caribbean med schools is increasing dramatically each year, the pool of IMGs is increasing every year and the matching applicant volume is increasing so within the up coming three years, IMGs matching chances will be just 30%..
IMGs from Asia, south America, Australia ... etc is almost same but Caribbeans are increasing pool..
and obviously there is no increase in hospitals as compared to med students competing for match ...
how u guys think of it..?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
The above post was thanked by:
heman466s (06-12-2011)



  #2  
Old 06-12-2011
USMLE Forums Scout
 
Steps History: 1+CK+CS
Posts: 29
Threads: 2
Thanked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Reputation: 12
Default

Nothing much we can do...
More AMGs graduating in next few years.
More IMGs...
No more prematches
Let's pray!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
  #3  
Old 06-12-2011
USMLE Forums Guru
 
Steps History: Not yet
Posts: 404
Threads: 108
Thanked 71 Times in 48 Posts
Reputation: 80
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by leftose View Post
Nothing much we can do...
More AMGs graduating in next few years.
More IMGs...
No more prematches
Let's pray!
well the only thing we all can do is to get good scores!and be higher in competition.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
  #4  
Old 06-12-2011
USMLE Forums Guru
 
Steps History: Not yet
Posts: 404
Threads: 108
Thanked 71 Times in 48 Posts
Reputation: 80
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by IKR123 View Post
Today during Kaplan Medical physiology live lecture, Conrad Fischer just made me depressed and scared me by saying that as the number of Caribbean med schools is increasing dramatically each year, the pool of IMGs is increasing every year and the matching applicant volume is increasing so within the up coming three years, IMGs matching chances will be just 30%..
IMGs from Asia, south America, Australia ... etc is almost same but Caribbeans are increasing pool..
and obviously there is no increase in hospitals as compared to med students competing for match ...
how u guys think of it..?
where did u get the live lectures from?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
  #5  
Old 06-12-2011
b.abid's Avatar
USMLE Forums Addict
 
Steps History: 1+CK+CS+3
Posts: 167
Threads: 56
Thanked 90 Times in 43 Posts
Reputation: 100
Default

their is no point of listening to or posting these threads! Ultimately, every one is going to work his ass off and do what ever he or she can do to guarantee him/herself a position .. this type of ideas will only freak you out and no good will come from it. It's all about taking risks, and even if the IMG match rate is 90% you still have a 10% risk of not matching! so stop listening to all these people, work as much as you can, take the risk and hope for the best!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
The above post was thanked by:
Awwad (11-08-2012), Ayman Qasrawi (08-18-2012), bhavesh kaswala (10-06-2012), Cocochanel (02-28-2012), drsulhy (05-19-2012), ha000mo (10-24-2012), madeha shahid (04-17-2012), pranavmerchant (09-26-2014), Rookie (04-25-2012)
  #6  
Old 06-12-2011
USMLE Forums Scout
 
Steps History: 1 + CK
Posts: 37
Threads: 4
Thanked 39 Times in 13 Posts
Reputation: 49
I disagree I disagree

Quote:
Originally Posted by b.abid View Post
their is no point of listening to or posting these threads! Ultimately, every one is going to work his ass off and do what ever he or she can do to guarantee him/herself a position .. this type of ideas will only freak you out and no good will come from it. It's all about taking risks, and even if the IMG match rate is 90% you still have a 10% risk of not matching! so stop listening to all these people, work as much as you can, take the risk and hope for the best!
I disagree with you.
It's always good to know what you are heading to.
Planning is very important. Things will not work if you don't know what you are facing.
These news, should serve to get you on your feet and be on the alert and to manage your risk accordingly.
If IMG matching was 90% then at that time you don't need high scores and you don't need to do USCE. But, now you when you know that IMG matching is going to be 30% then you have to get high scores and you have to get USCE.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
The above post was thanked by:
cadaver (04-07-2012), Master shifu (02-11-2012), Shimche0244 (06-12-2011)
  #7  
Old 06-12-2011
b.abid's Avatar
USMLE Forums Addict
 
Steps History: 1+CK+CS+3
Posts: 167
Threads: 56
Thanked 90 Times in 43 Posts
Reputation: 100
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by nadira74 View Post
I disagree with you.
It's always good to know what you are heading to.
Planning is very important. Things will not work if you don't know what you are facing.
These news, should serve to get you on your feet and be on the alert and to manage your risk accordingly.
If IMG matching was 90% then at that time you don't need high scores and you don't need to do USCE. But, now you when you know that IMG matching is going to be 30% then you have to get high scores and you have to get USCE.
O dear! you DO need to aim for and get high scores regardless of the match rate. No single IMG enters the test aiming for less than 230 except for weird cases. the whole process is a risk. even if you have a super scores, you may end up having a match but not being able to get your VISA! the point is stop worrying about things you CANNOT change, aim for high scores anyway and realize that life is all about taking risks !
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
The above post was thanked by:
Ayman Qasrawi (08-18-2012), cadaver (04-07-2012), drdhruv (03-12-2012), madeha shahid (04-17-2012), Rookie (04-25-2012)
  #8  
Old 06-12-2011
USMLE Forums Scout
 
Steps History: Not yet
Posts: 70
Threads: 5
Thanked 13 Times in 10 Posts
Reputation: 23
Default

Dear "Leftose"...
Why do u hay ..."..no more prematches"? Where dos u get that info an how accurate it is?
Thanks for ur answer.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
  #9  
Old 06-12-2011
USMLE Forums Scout
 
Steps History: 1+CK+CS
Posts: 29
Threads: 2
Thanked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Reputation: 12
Default

It's on the NRMP website.

NRMP TO IMPLEMENT "ALL-IN" POLICY

At its May 16, 2011 meeting, the NRMP Board of Directors voted unanimously to require programs participating in the Main Residency Match to place all positions in the Match. The so-called "All-In" Policy will become effective for the 2013 Match that opens for registration on September 1, 2012. The policy will affect all PGY-1 positions and PGY-2 positions in advanced programs.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
  #10  
Old 06-12-2011
USMLE Forums Scout
 
Steps History: 1+CK+CS
Posts: 41
Threads: 19
Thanked 9 Times in 3 Posts
Reputation: 19
Send a message via Skype™ to laxitjn
Default

USMLE is a tough exam , and the only reason i am attempting this is because i like the risk involved. Studying for usmle also makes sure you gain enough knowledge to ace any puny PG entrance test that your country can throw at you . I am going to work as hard as I can on the thing where my performence can make a diffrence , like Scores , and interviews , and if I Still dont make it , i believe I will be able to walk through and score a high rank in any of my National PG exams .


plus there is australia and new zealand
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
The above post was thanked by:
drdhruv (03-12-2012), Mashee (08-18-2011), Master shifu (02-11-2012), nishu (02-21-2012), pranavmerchant (09-26-2014), wenskyrose (10-03-2012)
  #11  
Old 06-13-2011
USMLE Forums Newbie
 
Steps History: Not yet
Posts: 7
Threads: 2
Thanked 1 Time in 1 Post
Reputation: 11
Smile

Quote:
Originally Posted by laxitjn View Post
USMLE is a tough exam , and the only reason i am attempting this is because i like the risk involved. Studying for usmle also makes sure you gain enough knowledge to ace any puny PG entrance test that your country can throw at you . I am going to work as hard as I can on the thing where my performence can make a diffrence , like Scores , and interviews , and if I Still dont make it , i believe I will be able to walk through and score a high rank in any of my National PG exams .


plus there is australia and new zealand
I agree with laxitjn - USMLE is a tough exam. But so are all the exams for IMGs trying to practise in countries with good training set up. I graduated in Australia and there are also barriers set up for my IMG colleagues. At the end of the day, it's good to know what we are in for in order to put things into perspective & be practical. But if we enter into the exams with set goals - be it to consolidate our knowledge or ultimately practise in the USA - we can only give it our very best shot and hopefully enjoy the fruits of our labour.

Good luck to all!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
  #12  
Old 06-25-2011
katch22's Avatar
USMLE Forums Scout
 
Steps History: ---
Posts: 10
Threads: 1
Thanked 32 Times in 4 Posts
Reputation: 42
Default I'm going to use Dr. Cox's words of wisdom here.

Quote:
Originally Posted by IKR123 View Post
Today during Kaplan Medical physiology live lecture, Conrad Fischer just made me depressed and scared me by saying that as the number of Caribbean med schools is increasing dramatically each year, the pool of IMGs is increasing every year and the matching applicant volume is increasing so within the up coming three years, IMGs matching chances will be just 30%..
IMGs from Asia, south America, Australia ... etc is almost same but Caribbeans are increasing pool..
and obviously there is no increase in hospitals as compared to med students competing for match ...
how u guys think of it..?
I'm going to use Scrubs wisdom here (yes, I'm talking about the tv show).

Here it is:

Statistics mean nothing to the individual.

Ignore the numbers. You can defy the odds.

(Who says you can't learn life lessons from television? )

Good luck to you.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
The above post was thanked by:
drssbaz (05-02-2012), INCOGNITO (06-30-2011), nishu (02-21-2012), pranavmerchant (09-26-2014), wenskyrose (10-03-2012)
  #13  
Old 07-16-2011
USMLE Forums Veteran
 
Steps History: Not yet
Posts: 281
Threads: 74
Thanked 131 Times in 68 Posts
Reputation: 141
Embarrassed

anyone knows or can shed any light on the residency slots increasing or was it just a rumour... at least for FM is it increasing?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
  #14  
Old 07-18-2011
USMLE Forums Scout
 
Steps History: Not yet
Posts: 34
Threads: 11
Thanked 37 Times in 13 Posts
Reputation: 47
Default

It has increased from last year.... this is due to a decrease in working hours for residents...I confirmed it from a friend....
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
  #15  
Old 07-19-2011
USMLE Forums Master
 
Steps History: 1+CK+CS+3
Posts: 1,175
Threads: 38
Thanked 852 Times in 478 Posts
Reputation: 862
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by indigo View Post
anyone knows or can shed any light on the residency slots increasing or was it just a rumour... at least for FM is it increasing?
It will definitely be decreasing, there are 14 new med schools opening up state side.. but this is after 4 years (1st graduating class) [Source: NEJM]
__________________
PGY-3
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message



  #16  
Old 02-11-2012
USMLE Forums Scout
 
Steps History: 1+CK+CS
Posts: 75
Threads: 3
Thanked 87 Times in 34 Posts
Reputation: 97
Default

getting residency spots is getting competitive, but there are certain advantages with respect to being and IMG or AMG against others who belong to the same category.

Ex: Student A, Ross University, 230 Step 1, US Citizen versus. Student B, 230 Step 1, Non-US Citizen.

Given the above scenario and let's say both are applying to the same program for IM - it is safe to assume that the US Citizen has an upper theoretical advantage than the non-US Citizen because the hospital doesn't have to entertain DHS.

So the bottom line is - while it is getting competitive, having a competitive score, being a US Citizen/Green Card holder and having graduated from the Top 4 Carib schools - SGU, Ross, AUC and SABA gives you a better and brighter chance than those from other Carib schools such as St. Matthews or AUA, because they are not well recognized or from graduates of India, China or Nigeria schools for example.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
  #17  
Old 02-11-2012
USMLE Forums Master
 
Steps History: 1+CK+CS+3
Posts: 1,175
Threads: 38
Thanked 852 Times in 478 Posts
Reputation: 862
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by shriman View Post
getting residency spots is getting competitive, but there are certain advantages with respect to being and IMG or AMG against others who belong to the same category.

Ex: Student A, Ross University, 230 Step 1, US Citizen versus. Student B, 230 Step 1, Non-US Citizen.

Given the above scenario and let's say both are applying to the same program for IM - it is safe to assume that the US Citizen has an upper theoretical advantage than the non-US Citizen because the hospital doesn't have to entertain DHS.

So the bottom line is - while it is getting competitive, having a competitive score, being a US Citizen/Green Card holder and having graduated from the Top 4 Carib schools - SGU, Ross, AUC and SABA gives you a better and brighter chance than those from other Carib schools such as St. Matthews or AUA, because they are not well recognized or from graduates of India, China or Nigeria schools for example.
Lol.

You're a sucker for marketing aren't you?

(I used to think like you, being a student at a Top 4 school, but slowly after I realized the rotations done by students of the bottom 4 schools are the same, we just pay 3x as much).

I like you're enthusiasm and sense of pride for your school, but you need to realize the candidates from countries like India, China and others are sending the cream of the crop students. I wouldn't slander their reputation because you did 72 weeks of rotations state side.

Know that typical carrib grads try and get a residency state side of which theoretically only 42% (max) can. If the same Carrib grad tried applying to positions in Europe, Eurasia, etc, he/she would be ranked lower then the grads of Indian, Chinese, and others simply because they are "more recognized".

__________________
PGY-3
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
The above post was thanked by:
drssbaz (05-02-2012)
  #18  
Old 02-11-2012
USMLE Forums Scout
 
Steps History: 1+CK+CS
Posts: 75
Threads: 3
Thanked 87 Times in 34 Posts
Reputation: 97
Default

i have no intention of slandering anyone, but if these were the cream of the crop, then they wouldn't be occupying the vast majority of FM community hospital programs, but rather enlisting in anesthesia, surgery and dermatology.

i would not trade my education at the Big 4 for something like AUA or St. Matthews. Period.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
  #19  
Old 02-11-2012
USMLE Forums Master
 
Steps History: 1+CK+CS+3
Posts: 1,175
Threads: 38
Thanked 852 Times in 478 Posts
Reputation: 862
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by shriman View Post
i have no intention of slandering anyone, but if these were the cream of the crop, then they wouldn't be occupying the vast majority of FM community hospital programs, but rather enlisting in anesthesia, surgery and dermatology.

i would not trade my education at the Big 4 for something like AUA or St. Matthews. Period.
Compare the number of Other-IMG's in Anesthesia, Surgery, & even Derm to the number of Carrib-IMG's in Anesthesia, Surgery, & even Derm. Im sure you'd see that the "Other-IMG's" are exceeding.

Ross For example, states they match higher number of grads into residency than any other school in the world.. yea, of course you would when your class size is 450+ students, vs. MUA or any of the bottom 4 matching like 30-50 (cause their starting class size is small). Ratio's are important to keep a perspective on things.

Did I mention, we have 72 weeks of USCE advantage (HUGE) & LoR's from attendings of the hospitals we apply to, especially when programs are starting to look for these things. Take away those things, and do a score:score comparison and you'll see "Other-IMGs" will surpass match %.

That's fine if you prefer big 4, but telling you man, we're getting ripped.
__________________
PGY-3
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
The above post was thanked by:
Hitman (02-12-2012)
  #20  
Old 04-17-2012
USMLE Forums Addict
 
Steps History: Not yet
Posts: 183
Threads: 43
Thanked 186 Times in 51 Posts
Reputation: 196
Send a message via Skype™ to drdhruv
Post

Where did you get this information? Do u think thats really authenticated? I feel it all depends on your personal profile, I.e. your usmle score, the undergrad score, papers or thesis and LORs!

Surely, we get less chances than AMGs, but that's not really a new issue!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
  #21  
Old 10-03-2012
wenskyrose's Avatar
USMLE Forums Addict
 
Steps History: CS Only
Posts: 120
Threads: 25
Thanked 121 Times in 23 Posts
Reputation: 131
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by b.abid View Post
their is no point of listening to or posting these threads! Ultimately, every one is going to work his ass off and do what ever he or she can do to guarantee him/herself a position .. this type of ideas will only freak you out and no good will come from it. It's all about taking risks, and even if the IMG match rate is 90% you still have a 10% risk of not matching! so stop listening to all these people, work as much as you can, take the risk and hope for the best!
so true!
such news is spread just to distract your attention.
and it also depends how badly you are wanted a match.
Statistics do help to get some idea. . but they cant guide your life. If you are somebody who would give up by a 5-10% drop in IMG match or so.. then its a totally different story!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
  #22  
Old 10-03-2012
wenskyrose's Avatar
USMLE Forums Addict
 
Steps History: CS Only
Posts: 120
Threads: 25
Thanked 121 Times in 23 Posts
Reputation: 131
Default pls explain

Quote:
Originally Posted by leftose View Post
It's on the NRMP website.

NRMP TO IMPLEMENT "ALL-IN" POLICY

At its May 16, 2011 meeting, the NRMP Board of Directors voted unanimously to require programs participating in the Main Residency Match to place all positions in the Match. The so-called "All-In" Policy will become effective for the 2013 Match that opens for registration on September 1, 2012. The policy will affect all PGY-1 positions and PGY-2 positions in advanced programs.
Kindly explain how this would come out to be?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
  #23  
Old 10-03-2012
USMLE Forums Master
 
Steps History: 1+CK+CS+3
Posts: 3,263
Threads: 147
Thanked 5,030 Times in 1,566 Posts
Reputation: 5126
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by wenskyrose View Post
Kindly explain how this would come out to be?
Please read here
No More Prematches starting 2013!

-
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
The above post was thanked by:
wenskyrose (10-03-2012)



Reply

Tags
Caribbean-, Match-Probability, Opinions-

Quick Reply
Message:
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the USMLE Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:
Medical School
Choose "---" if you don't want to tell. AMG for US & Canadian medical schools. IMG for all other medical schools.
USMLE Steps History
What steps finished! Example: 1+CK+CS+3 = Passed Step 1, Step 2 CK, Step 2 CS, and Step 3.

Choose "---" if you don't want to tell.

Favorite USMLE Books
What USMLE books you really think are useful. Leave blank if you don't want to tell.
Location
Where you live. Leave blank if you don't want to tell.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.



Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Conrad Fischer for Kaplan Physiology Hope2Pass USMLE Step 1 Forum 39 03-28-2016 07:00 AM
Fischer Conrad Modules! getting99 USMLE Step 2 CK Forum 11 11-17-2013 09:22 AM
Comprehensive Cases with Dr. Conrad Fischer! aktorque USMLE Step 2 CK Forum 5 06-08-2011 04:35 PM

RSS Feed
Find Us on Facebook
vBulletin Security provided by vBSecurity v2.2.2 (Pro) - vBulletin Mods & Addons Copyright © 2017 DragonByte Technologies Ltd.

USMLE® & other trade marks belong to their respective owners, read full disclaimer
USMLE Forums created under Creative Commons 3.0 License. (2009-2014)