US Pediatric Fellowship after Indian Residency - USMLE Forums
USMLE Forums Logo
USMLE Forums         Your Reliable USMLE Online Community     Members     Posts
Home
USMLE Articles
USMLE News
USMLE Polls
USMLE Books
USMLE Apps
Go Back   USMLE Forums > IMG/FMG Forum

IMG/FMG Forum International Medical Graduates Forum.


Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
  #1  
Old 07-20-2011
USMLE Forums Newbie
 
Steps History: Not yet
Posts: 9
Threads: 4
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Reputation: 10
Help US Pediatric Fellowship after Indian Residency

Hi,

I've finished my residency program in pediatrics at India. I had taken step 1 exam before my residency started but then took admission in India itself. I'd like to do Neonatology fellowship in US and I'm preparing for step 2 CK. But I'm not getting any sort of useful information for the same. I contacted some programs. Some of them require US citizenship, Permanent residents or J1 visa. But they don'e sponsor J1 visa. I'm confused what that means. How would I get J1 visa then?

I haven't done residency in US. I want to do fellowship and return back to my country. I wanted to know how it is possible for to get into fellowship? Do I need to find out the programs that sponsor J1 visa? Please help me.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message



  #2  
Old 10-05-2011
vaibhavmanu's Avatar
USMLE Forums Guru
 
Steps History: 1+CK+CS+3
Posts: 385
Threads: 6
Thanked 205 Times in 154 Posts
Reputation: 215
Default

Hi,

In US, Fellowship Programs require you to do a residency there and not in some other country. So in case you decide to go out you will have to repeat your residency before you can get a fellowship there.

Hope that helps.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
  #3  
Old 10-12-2011
USMLE Forums Newbie
 
Steps History: Not yet
Posts: 9
Threads: 4
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Reputation: 10
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by vaibhavmanu View Post
Hi,

In US, Fellowship Programs require you to do a residency there and not in some other country. So in case you decide to go out you will have to repeat your residency before you can get a fellowship there.

Hope that helps.
I don't think that is true. I've seen many people doing fellowship in US for 3 years after finishing residency in their own countries and then coming back to practise in own country.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
  #4  
Old 10-12-2011
vaibhavmanu's Avatar
USMLE Forums Guru
 
Steps History: 1+CK+CS+3
Posts: 385
Threads: 6
Thanked 205 Times in 154 Posts
Reputation: 215
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by DrAkash View Post
I don't think that is true. I've seen many people doing fellowship in US for 3 years after finishing residency in their own countries and then coming back to practise in own country.
ok.. so you should ask those people then.. half my family is in the US and they all had to repeat their residency.. so unless there's some discrimination towards specific people, i would say that's the general rule.. neways believe what you want.. good luck.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
  #5  
Old 10-16-2011
USMLE Forums Newbie
 
Steps History: Not yet
Posts: 9
Threads: 4
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Reputation: 10
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by vaibhavmanu View Post
ok.. so you should ask those people then.. half my family is in the US and they all had to repeat their residency.. so unless there's some discrimination towards specific people, i would say that's the general rule.. neways believe what you want.. good luck.
Its also mentioned in this post. Have a look at it. The only thing is that I can't settle down in US without doing residency in US which doesn't matter to me. All I want is to do fellowship there and practice in my country.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
  #6  
Old 10-16-2011
vaibhavmanu's Avatar
USMLE Forums Guru
 
Steps History: 1+CK+CS+3
Posts: 385
Threads: 6
Thanked 205 Times in 154 Posts
Reputation: 215
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by DrAkash View Post
Its also mentioned in this post. Have a look at it. The only thing is that I can't settle down in US without doing residency in US which doesn't matter to me. All I want is to do fellowship there and practice in my country.

I looked at it, and it sounds like a long shot to me. you can try according to what sabio says but from what i've heard they want your residency program to be ACGME accredited to let you into their fellowship. Good luck.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
  #7  
Old 10-21-2011
dr_mhm's Avatar
USMLE Forums Guru
 
Steps History: 1+CK+CS
Posts: 460
Threads: 100
Thanked 235 Times in 147 Posts
Reputation: 245
Default

I'm in the US. I'm an internist overseas, wanted to get into ID fellowship but can't without US IM residency!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
  #8  
Old 03-19-2014
babydoc's Avatar
USMLE Forums Scout
 
Steps History: 1+CK+CS
Posts: 17
Threads: 2
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Reputation: 10
Default you are rt

Quote:
Originally Posted by DrAkash View Post
Hi,

I've finished my residency program in pediatrics at India. I had taken step 1 exam before my residency started but then took admission in India itself. I'd like to do Neonatology fellowship in US and I'm preparing for step 2 CK. But I'm not getting any sort of useful information for the same. I contacted some programs. Some of them require US citizenship, Permanent residents or J1 visa. But they don'e sponsor J1 visa. I'm confused what that means. How would I get J1 visa then?

I haven't done residency in US. I want to do fellowship and return back to my country. I wanted to know how it is possible for to get into fellowship? Do I need to find out the programs that sponsor J1 visa? Please help me.
dr akash

i did my paeds back in india. i ve been researching abt the fellowship after residency in the home country. i believe it is possible if u ve a good lor from home with step1, 2, cs,scores. some programs ask for step 3, but i haven seen anyone specify it so far. As regards J1, if a program accepts u, they will sponsor your J1 visa. the process takes around 2 months. plz let me know if u ve any further info. i do not personally know anyone, but my husband met a few people during his fellowship interviews, who had done their residencies in their home countries.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
  #9  
Old 03-23-2014
USMLE Forums Scout
 
Steps History: Not yet
Posts: 16
Threads: 1
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Reputation: 10
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by DrAkash View Post
I don't think that is true. I've seen many people doing fellowship in US for 3 years after finishing residency in their own countries and then coming back to practise in own country.
hi DrAkash! do you know people who did surgical residencies in their own country and then fellowships in US and then back again? since its very hard to get in a surgerical residency in the US for IMGs. so maybe fellowship maybe a better option
and any idea which hospitals offer that?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message



Reply

Tags
Fellowships, India-

Quick Reply
Message:
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the USMLE Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:
Medical School
Choose "---" if you don't want to tell. AMG for US & Canadian medical schools. IMG for all other medical schools.
USMLE Steps History
What steps finished! Example: 1+CK+CS+3 = Passed Step 1, Step 2 CK, Step 2 CS, and Step 3.

Choose "---" if you don't want to tell.

Favorite USMLE Books
What USMLE books you really think are useful. Leave blank if you don't want to tell.
Location
Where you live. Leave blank if you don't want to tell.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.



Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
German MG to get into fellowship without residency nabifakeri IMG/FMG Forum 5 04-23-2016 09:57 AM
Neurosurgery Residency for an Indian IMG johns.mathew IMG Residency Match Forum 11 03-25-2014 10:14 PM
Getting into Pediatric Residency Cocochanel IMG Residency Match Forum 3 06-29-2011 12:22 PM
University of Colorado Pediatric Residency and IMGs add1 IMG Residency Match Forum 3 05-08-2011 10:11 AM
fellowship in psychiatry after IM residency?? adrenaline rush IMG Residency Match Forum 1 02-13-2011 11:40 AM

RSS Feed
Find Us on Facebook
vBulletin Security provided by vBSecurity v2.2.2 (Pro) - vBulletin Mods & Addons Copyright © 2017 DragonByte Technologies Ltd.

USMLE® & other trade marks belong to their respective owners, read full disclaimer
USMLE Forums created under Creative Commons 3.0 License. (2009-2014)