Failed step 1 for three times - USMLE Forums
USMLE Forums Logo
USMLE Forums         Your Reliable USMLE Online Community     Members     Posts
Home
USMLE Articles
USMLE News
USMLE Polls
USMLE Books
USMLE Apps
Go Back   USMLE Forums > IMG/FMG Forum

IMG/FMG Forum International Medical Graduates Forum.


Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
  #1  
Old 10-17-2012
USMLE Forums Newbie
 
Steps History: Step 1 Only
Posts: 6
Threads: 1
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Reputation: 10
Listening Failed step 1 for three times

Hi. I am an IMG. I didn't pass the step 1 for the third time. I get 180/7. Can I apply for a residency program without passing this exam? Because I am thinking to take step 2 and step3.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message



  #2  
Old 10-18-2012
USMLE Forums Master
 
Steps History: 1+CK+CS+3
Posts: 1,175
Threads: 38
Thanked 854 Times in 478 Posts
Reputation: 864
Default

Hate to break it to you, but essentially you're not going to get any residency.

I'd say 2 attempts is the upper limit one can get something, 4 attempts will not even be considered.

Also, you need all 3 exams cleared to apply: Step 1/2 CK & CS.

Hope this helps.
__________________
PGY-3
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
  #3  
Old 10-18-2012
USMLE Forums Addict
 
Steps History: Not yet
Posts: 183
Threads: 43
Thanked 190 Times in 51 Posts
Reputation: 200
Send a message via Skype™ to drdhruv
Thumbs Up

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tatap View Post
Hi. I am an IMG. I didn't pass the step 1 for the third time. I get 180/7. Can I apply for a residency program without passing this exam? Because I am thinking to take step 2 and step3.
You must have all the steps cleared and then only you get ECFMG Certification.
but, let me tell you something from the brighter side..

1. you should not be so sad for failing the test, as at least you have another chance to try. If you had passed with marks just at the border like, 185/190. it might look good now, but it does not really impress the selectors.

2. If you are really passionate and determined to go to USA, may be first take Step 2 now and then if you pass take step 1 again. if you can get high score this time in all the steps, there's still some hope left. but definitely its going to be very difficult.


3. try to re evaluate yourself. What is the problem in your studies which caused failure. Did you try to do the practice tests? NBME/ UWORLD/ KAP TEST.
Do everything again and do it till you get all correct. or at least you can remember the answers. you never know if you see the same questions again on the test.

This time TRY EVERYTHING THING, Put EVERY drop of your blood to study and then I am sure you can make it.

Try to take your failure as an inspiration, not the dead end!

there's nothing impossible. the worst scenario in the interview after you pass the Step1 might be you end up with the worst residency program. but at least you get something. and try to fulfill through other ways, like HIGH score in STEP2 CK/CS, externship in USA, Recommendation letters and may be some research papers.

There's always a silver line in the darkest clouds!

GOOD LUCK
__________________
Arise! Awake! And stop not, Till the goal is reached!! SV
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
The above post was thanked by:
Ganta Pratap (02-15-2013), swwal (11-09-2012)
 
  #4  
Old 10-18-2012
USMLE Forums Master
 
Steps History: 1+CK+CS+3
Posts: 1,175
Threads: 38
Thanked 854 Times in 478 Posts
Reputation: 864
Default

I'll have to disagree with drdhruv.

I don't want to sound negative or discouraging, nor do I want to blow my own horn, but I've barely managed to get 4 IV's this year in FM. Seeing multiple failures, low scores, old yog, no usce etc. would make the candidate useless.

Tatap just to give you an idea, my personal credentials are:

Step 1: 222 (1st try)
Step 2 CK: 217 (1st try)
Step 2 CS: Pass (1st try)
Yog: 2013 (Will graduate next year)
USCE: 72 weeks all in ACGME hospitals
US LORs: 2 from PD's in great programs, 1 FM LOR.. all strong
1 Research & 1 Publication (~)
Tons of volunteer experience (~)

Even with all of this, I've managed to get only 4 IV's in FM.

If drdhruv has any particular examples of people who have matched (not included anecdotal examples) with credentials like yours tatap, than you should continue. Otherwise, its a waste of time, money, effort, blood, sweat and tears.
__________________
PGY-3
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
The above post was thanked by:
Ganta Pratap (02-15-2013), r0ck_s0lid (02-23-2013), swwal (11-09-2012)
  #5  
Old 10-18-2012
billy's Avatar
USMLE Forums Guru
 
Steps History: Not yet
Posts: 444
Threads: 109
Thanked 370 Times in 208 Posts
Reputation: 380
Default

Patel is saying the right thing.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
  #6  
Old 10-20-2012
USMLE Forums Newbie
 
Steps History: Step 1 Only
Posts: 6
Threads: 1
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Reputation: 10
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by patelMD View Post
Hate to break it to you, but essentially you're not going to get any residency.

I'd say 2 attempts is the upper limit one can get something, 4 attempts will not even be considered.

Also, you need all 3 exams cleared to apply: Step 1/2 CK & CS.

Hope this helps.

Hi. I know it is very difficult, but if they give 6 attempts to take the test it means something. Isn't it?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
  #7  
Old 10-20-2012
USMLE Forums Newbie
 
Steps History: Step 1 Only
Posts: 6
Threads: 1
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Reputation: 10
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by drdhruv View Post
You must have all the steps cleared and then only you get ECFMG Certification.
but, let me tell you something from the brighter side..

1. you should not be so sad for failing the test, as at least you have another chance to try. If you had passed with marks just at the border like, 185/190. it might look good now, but it does not really impress the selectors.

2. If you are really passionate and determined to go to USA, may be first take Step 2 now and then if you pass take step 1 again. if you can get high score this time in all the steps, there's still some hope left. but definitely its going to be very difficult.


3. try to re evaluate yourself. What is the problem in your studies which caused failure. Did you try to do the practice tests? NBME/ UWORLD/ KAP TEST.
Do everything again and do it till you get all correct. or at least you can remember the answers. you never know if you see the same questions again on the test.

This time TRY EVERYTHING THING, Put EVERY drop of your blood to study and then I am sure you can make it.

Try to take your failure as an inspiration, not the dead end!

there's nothing impossible. the worst scenario in the interview after you pass the Step1 might be you end up with the worst residency program. but at least you get something. and try to fulfill through other ways, like HIGH score in STEP2 CK/CS, externship in USA, Recommendation letters and may be some research papers.

There's always a silver line in the darkest clouds!

GOOD LUCK

Thank you very much.People like you are very helpfully for me in this moment. Obviously ,I will never give up my dream. My problem is I have o children and I am going to college to ESL, so I don't have enough time.Also, it is my second language and I graduated in 2002 from medical school.I had to re-study everithing again.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
  #8  
Old 10-20-2012
USMLE Forums Veteran
 
Steps History: 1+CK+CS+3
Posts: 207
Threads: 19
Thanked 327 Times in 99 Posts
Reputation: 337
Default means anything?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tatap View Post
Hi. I know it is very difficult, but if they give 6 attempts to take the test it means something. Isn't it?
I dont know, but I see your point, when they say no more then 2 or 3 attempts allowed on each step, when they talk about allowance for their program.... but 188/196 are passing score officially, but then, why those people are not taken to a residencies?I think, unofficially those scores ranging some between 220/230 to get to less competitive residencies....its sad....people shouldve not been fooled in the beginning by USMLE
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
  #9  
Old 10-20-2012
USMLE Forums Master
 
Steps History: 1+CK+CS+3
Posts: 1,175
Threads: 38
Thanked 854 Times in 478 Posts
Reputation: 864
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tatap View Post
Hi. I know it is very difficult, but if they give 6 attempts to take the test it means something. Isn't it?
Clearly you're avoiding the facts. I wont bother anymore.

I'll just say this: taking the exam 6 times isn't something that should be motivating you. After all, think of it this way if a program sees that you've taken an exam 6 times or took 6 attempts to clear Step 1/CK/CS.. how many attempts will you need to pass the specialty boards? Maybe 6? There is no way they'd want something like that to dent their already damaged reputation.
__________________
PGY-3
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
  #10  
Old 10-20-2012
USMLE Forums Veteran
 
Steps History: 1+CK+CS+3
Posts: 207
Threads: 19
Thanked 327 Times in 99 Posts
Reputation: 337
Default missing point

Quote:
Originally Posted by patelMD View Post
Clearly you're avoiding the facts. I wont bother anymore.

I'll just say this: taking the exam 6 times isn't something that should be motivating you. After all, think of it this way if a program sees that you've taken an exam 6 times or took 6 attempts to clear Step 1/CK/CS.. how many attempts will you need to pass the specialty boards? Maybe 6? There is no way they'd want something like that to dent their already damaged reputation.
I think, you didnt get his question. He simply asked if he clears
all steps in less than 6 attempts , will he be able to get to the program which declares that you re still allowed to apply, if you have less than 6 attempts for all steps.I dont think so its anybodys goal to clear all tests in 6 attempts....
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
  #11  
Old 10-20-2012
USMLE Forums Newbie
 
Steps History: Step 1 Only
Posts: 6
Threads: 1
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Reputation: 10
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by marina99 View Post
I think, you didnt get his question. He simply asked if he clears
all steps in less than 6 attempts , will he be able to get to the program which declares that you re still allowed to apply, if you have less than 6 attempts for all steps.I dont think so its anybodys goal to clear all tests in 6 attempts....

Thank you. You're right. I'll pass the test in the fourth attempt and I will have a good score in step 2 because I worked as a doctor for 6 years and also I have a master in Managment of Hospitals. The most difficult for me is step 1 because I graduated in 2002.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
  #12  
Old 10-20-2012
USMLE Forums Master
 
Steps History: 1+CK+CS+3
Posts: 1,175
Threads: 38
Thanked 854 Times in 478 Posts
Reputation: 864
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by marina99 View Post
I think, you didnt get his question. He simply asked if he clears
all steps in less than 6 attempts , will he be able to get to the program which declares that you re still allowed to apply, if you have less than 6 attempts for all steps.I dont think so its anybodys goal to clear all tests in 6 attempts....
Hmm perhaps.

Regardless, even with the number of attempts he has right now, its fruitless.
__________________
PGY-3
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
  #13  
Old 10-20-2012
USMLE Forums Veteran
 
Steps History: 1+CK+CS+3
Posts: 207
Threads: 19
Thanked 327 Times in 99 Posts
Reputation: 337
Default go!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tatap View Post
Thank you. You're right. I'll pass the test in the fourth attempt and I will have a good score in step 2 because I worked as a doctor for 6 years and also I have a master in Managment of Hospitals. The most difficult for me is step 1 because I graduated in 2002.
Its all in your hands, sweetheart, go for it, who knows whats gonna happen, if this pathway wont bring you to MD, it might bring you somewhere else....
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
The above post was thanked by:
Tatap (10-20-2012)
  #14  
Old 10-20-2012
billy's Avatar
USMLE Forums Guru
 
Steps History: Not yet
Posts: 444
Threads: 109
Thanked 370 Times in 208 Posts
Reputation: 380
Post

You will clear all these steps but my point is that you cannot make into any residency Sorry
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
  #15  
Old 10-20-2012
MarkUSMLE's Avatar
USMLE Forums Scout
 
Steps History: ---
Posts: 54
Threads: 12
Thanked 33 Times in 16 Posts
Reputation: 43
Default

Tatap,

My personal advice to you- GO FOR IT MAN!

You WILL succeed this time, forget about the negative vibes from your fellow colleagues in this forum. Nobody in life has reached a dead end until your last breath. I am a living example of a success against overwhelming odds, failures, discouragements and so called friendly realistic advice to quit. If I had listened to all of these I should have given up medicine ages ago..........
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message



  #16  
Old 10-22-2012
USMLE Forums Newbie
 
Steps History: Step 1 Only
Posts: 6
Threads: 1
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Reputation: 10
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by MarkUSMLE View Post
Tatap,

My personal advice to you- GO FOR IT MAN!

You WILL succeed this time, forget about the negative vibes from your fellow colleagues in this forum. Nobody in life has reached a dead end until your last breath. I am a living example of a success against overwhelming odds, failures, discouragements and so called friendly realistic advice to quit. If I had listened to all of these I should have given up medicine ages ago..........
Thank you very much. I really needed that words. Tell me more about your experience,please.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
  #17  
Old 10-22-2012
MarkUSMLE's Avatar
USMLE Forums Scout
 
Steps History: ---
Posts: 54
Threads: 12
Thanked 33 Times in 16 Posts
Reputation: 43
Default

Old IMG 1999,failed 1st year subjects in med school had to retake, went to a another country & completed residency as I had no money for USMLE, could take USMLE only this year 2012, during step 2 had to endure a terrible loss of spouse and 1 week before the exam underwent heart op for congenital problem. For the last 10+ years people have discouraged me and life circumstances were all negative but I had faith in God that no matter what the odds were I decided to persist. Now I have an interview, expecting more...be encouraged......DON'T GIVE UP!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
The above post was thanked by:
Dr.Dream (02-28-2013), drdhruv (10-22-2012), Tatap (10-24-2012)
  #18  
Old 10-24-2012
USMLE Forums Newbie
 
Steps History: Step 1 Only
Posts: 6
Threads: 1
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Reputation: 10
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by MarkUSMLE View Post
Old IMG 1999,failed 1st year subjects in med school had to retake, went to a another country & completed residency as I had no money for USMLE, could take USMLE only this year 2012, during step 2 had to endure a terrible loss of spouse and 1 week before the exam underwent heart op for congenital problem. For the last 10+ years people have discouraged me and life circumstances were all negative but I had faith in God that no matter what the odds were I decided to persist. Now I have an interview, expecting more...be encouraged......DON'T GIVE UP!

Hi I'm so sorry to heard that,but you are very persistent person and it is the most important. Good luck in your interview.I know you will get it. Tell me when you have the response.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
  #19  
Old 12-09-2012
USMLE Forums Scout
 
Steps History: Step 1 Only
Posts: 69
Threads: 26
Thanked 7 Times in 5 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tatap View Post
Hi. I am an IMG. I didn't pass the step 1 for the third time. I get 180/7. Can I apply for a residency program without passing this exam? Because I am thinking to take step 2 and step3.

don't give up ... I know old grads with passing USMLE (2nd attempts) scores matching ... but the key is establish some contacts..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message



Reply

Tags
Failed-Attempts

Quick Reply
Message:
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the USMLE Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:
Medical School
Choose "---" if you don't want to tell. AMG for US & Canadian medical schools. IMG for all other medical schools.
USMLE Steps History
What steps finished! Example: 1+CK+CS+3 = Passed Step 1, Step 2 CK, Step 2 CS, and Step 3.

Choose "---" if you don't want to tell.

Favorite USMLE Books
What USMLE books you really think are useful. Leave blank if you don't want to tell.
Location
Where you live. Leave blank if you don't want to tell.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.



Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
How many times should we read FA for Step 1 prep? sohni USMLE Step 1 Recommended Threads 8 05-03-2016 11:32 AM
Failed in SEP two times! David008 USMLE Step 2 CS Forum 7 02-16-2015 06:47 PM
Failed step 1 3 times pshah514 IMG Residency Match Forum 3 08-15-2012 07:26 AM
Failed the CS Three Times ahmed2010 IMG Residency Match Forum 2 03-02-2011 01:10 PM
My advice after taking step one serveral times to pass DRFP USMLE Step 1 Forum 1 07-25-2010 11:17 PM

RSS Feed
Find Us on Facebook
vBulletin Security provided by vBSecurity v2.2.2 (Pro) - vBulletin Mods & Addons Copyright © 2017 DragonByte Technologies Ltd.

USMLE® & other trade marks belong to their respective owners, read full disclaimer
USMLE Forums created under Creative Commons 3.0 License. (2009-2014)