What is the definition of an Old IMG? - USMLE Forums
USMLE Forums Logo
USMLE Forums         Your Reliable USMLE Online Community     Members     Posts
Home
USMLE Articles
USMLE News
USMLE Polls
USMLE Books
USMLE Apps
Go Back   USMLE Forums > IMG/FMG Forum

IMG/FMG Forum International Medical Graduates Forum.


Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
  #1  
Old 12-05-2010
USMLE Forums Addict
 
Steps History: 1 + CS
Posts: 159
Threads: 52
Thanked 71 Times in 32 Posts
Reputation: 81
Question What is the definition of an Old IMG?

wat is the definition of old IMG? i graduated in 2009 and i am hopin for appearin for my step 1 by mid march n cs by april n then ck by july but m apprehensive because everythin is so closeby n i havent kept any space for 'in case somethin goes wrong' m half done with first read only and i dont like just sittin at home n studyin because it will count as no experience on my cv in this time period..:S i also do not have any USCE or any research on me..also shud i apply for research n all right now? n how n where shud i apply..
please help..worried sick
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message



  #2  
Old 12-05-2010
USMLE Forums Master
 
Steps History: 1+CK+CS+3
Posts: 3,263
Threads: 147
Thanked 5,030 Times in 1,566 Posts
Reputation: 5126
Smile You are still fresh

You are definitely not recognized as an old graduate.

Only when you pass three years after grad you start to enter in that category.

Yes, it's good for you start looking for USCE and I suggest you interact in our USCE Forum
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
  #3  
Old 12-05-2010
USMLE Forums Addict
 
Steps History: 1 + CS
Posts: 159
Threads: 52
Thanked 71 Times in 32 Posts
Reputation: 81
Default

ok tht means i HAVE to apply for the 2012 match then..is it ok to have an unemployed status in the time i am givin the steps though? i looked up the forum n it just says that i need contacts to get into research somewhere or i can ask the big hospitals to let me volunteer in which case I HAVE to be in states for that..:S
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
  #4  
Old 12-05-2010
USMLE Forums Master
 
Steps History: 1+CK+CS+3
Posts: 3,263
Threads: 147
Thanked 5,030 Times in 1,566 Posts
Reputation: 5126
Default

Yes, it's strongly recommended that you come to states to build connections and to do some USCE that will certainly help you with the matching process.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
  #5  
Old 12-07-2010
dr_kg's Avatar
USMLE Forums Guru
 
Steps History: CS Only
Posts: 333
Threads: 25
Thanked 98 Times in 79 Posts
Reputation: 108
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by StepTaker View Post
It's not an official categorization by an institute or something. This is just a consensus among applicants and residency programs.
Most residency programs consider applicants who graduated more than three years ago as weak applicants.
Other programs have their cut off limit at 5 years.
Some programs even say that it's OK if less than 10 years.
Some program even say that they don't care about graduation year (usually low profile programs).

However, the most important factor (I think) is that you don't stay idle between your graduation date and the year you apply for the match. Try to fill it with something such as clerkships, externships, observerships, research, medical-related job, ...etc

I am graduating next year but will do my masters for 3 years. So if after my masters I apply will I be considered as an old graduate based on the fact that I graduated from Med school as an undergrad for more than 3 years or as a fresh postgraduate from med school?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
  #6  
Old 12-07-2010
USMLE Forums Master
 
Steps History: 1+CK+CS+3
Posts: 742
Threads: 137
Thanked 2,446 Times in 441 Posts
Reputation: 2549
Default The ERAS Filter

Quote:
Originally Posted by dr_kg View Post
I am graduating next year but will do my masters for 3 years. So if after my masters I apply will I be considered as an old graduate based on the fact that I graduated from Med school as an undergrad for more than 3 years or as a fresh postgraduate from med school?
The issue is that when you apply in ERAS for a residency, they will apply filters. These filters include the graduation year. So the software will filter applicants who graduated more than three years ago and these applicants will be discarded and nobody will ever look at your application and they don't know that you have been doing a master degree.
So yes, you will be filtered out.
Note that I am talking here about the programs that have such a criterion. There are many programs, however, do not have such criteria and instead they set 5 years or 10 years or no limit for the graduation year.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
The above post was thanked by:
bijoymmc (02-24-2014), dr_kg (12-07-2010), lookingup (01-16-2011)
  #7  
Old 12-07-2010
dr_kg's Avatar
USMLE Forums Guru
 
Steps History: CS Only
Posts: 333
Threads: 25
Thanked 98 Times in 79 Posts
Reputation: 108
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by rasheed View Post
The issue is that when you apply in ERAS for a residency, they will apply filters. These filters include the graduation year. So the software will filter applicants who graduated more than three years ago and these applicants will be discarded and nobody will ever look at your application and they don't know that you have been doing a master degree.
So yes, you will be filtered out.
Note that I am talking here about the programs that have such a criterion. There are many programs, however, do not have such criteria and instead they set 5 years or 10 years or no limit for the graduation year.
Thanks a lot for the quick reply Rasheed. I am usually new in the USMLE, Residency application procedures. Please correct me if I am wrong, after I graduate from my university as an IMG do I need to go through the PGY-1? and then complete step 3? Just like US graduates?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
  #8  
Old 12-07-2010
USMLE Forums Master
 
Steps History: 1+CK+CS+3
Posts: 742
Threads: 137
Thanked 2,446 Times in 441 Posts
Reputation: 2549
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by dr_kg View Post
Thanks a lot for the quick reply Rasheed. I am usually new in the USMLE, Residency application procedures. Please correct me if I am wrong, after I graduate from my university as an IMG do I need to go through the PGY-1? and then complete step 3? Just like US graduates?
Yes. That's correct. But if you need H1 Visa, you have to do Step 3 before PGY1.
For more information about Step 3 please read through our USMLE Step 3 Forum
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
The above post was thanked by:
dr_kg (12-07-2010)
  #9  
Old 12-07-2010
dr_kg's Avatar
USMLE Forums Guru
 
Steps History: CS Only
Posts: 333
Threads: 25
Thanked 98 Times in 79 Posts
Reputation: 108
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by rasheed View Post
Yes. That's correct. But if you need H1 Visa, you have to do Step 3 before PGY1.
For more information about Step 3 please read through our USMLE Step 3 Forum
Thanks again, I really appreciate the help.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
  #10  
Old 01-08-2011
USMLE Forums Veteran
 
Steps History: 1+CK+CS
Posts: 244
Threads: 16
Thanked 200 Times in 86 Posts
Reputation: 210
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by rasheed View Post
The issue is that when you apply in ERAS for a residency, they will apply filters. These filters include the graduation year. So the software will filter applicants who graduated more than three years ago and these applicants will be discarded and nobody will ever look at your application and they don't know that you have been doing a master degree.
So yes, you will be filtered out.
Note that I am talking here about the programs that have such a criterion. There are many programs, however, do not have such criteria and instead they set 5 years or 10 years or no limit for the graduation year.
Hi, can you tell me if this less than five years since graduation is "at the time of application" ? I have graduated in 2007 and have a masters which ended in 2009. Applying for 2012 match. so its 4 years at time of application and maybe a little more than 5 months IF i match.. a little worried
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
  #11  
Old 01-08-2011
USMLE Forums Master
 
Steps History: 1+CK+CS+3
Posts: 742
Threads: 137
Thanked 2,446 Times in 441 Posts
Reputation: 2549
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by drarnab View Post
Hi, can you tell me if this less than five years since graduation is "at the time of application" ? I have graduated in 2007 and have a masters which ended in 2009. Applying for 2012 match. so its 4 years at time of application and maybe a little more than 5 months IF i match.. a little worried
Read post number 6 in this thread
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message



Reply

Tags
Old-Grads

Quick Reply
Message:
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the USMLE Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:
Medical School
Choose "---" if you don't want to tell. AMG for US & Canadian medical schools. IMG for all other medical schools.
USMLE Steps History
What steps finished! Example: 1+CK+CS+3 = Passed Step 1, Step 2 CK, Step 2 CS, and Step 3.

Choose "---" if you don't want to tell.

Favorite USMLE Books
What USMLE books you really think are useful. Leave blank if you don't want to tell.
Location
Where you live. Leave blank if you don't want to tell.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.



Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
IMG and US Citizen ayash IMG/FMG Forum 4 01-08-2011 10:10 AM
IMG -some questions... dr_kg IMG/FMG Forum 3 11-25-2010 01:30 AM
FA and UW only r enough for graduated IMG?? ahmednabil616 USMLE Step 1 Forum 9 10-01-2010 06:58 AM
The definition of orthostasis and it's relation to the degree of blood loss RRMadukha USMLE Step 2 CK Bits & Pieces 3 06-15-2010 07:37 AM
Definition of ischemia Farazdaq USMLE Step 1 Forum 3 02-20-2010 08:36 PM

RSS Feed
Find Us on Facebook
vBulletin Security provided by vBSecurity v2.2.2 (Pro) - vBulletin Mods & Addons Copyright © 2017 DragonByte Technologies Ltd.

USMLE® & other trade marks belong to their respective owners, read full disclaimer
USMLE Forums created under Creative Commons 3.0 License. (2009-2014)