Withdrawing from match - USMLE Forums
USMLE Forums Logo
USMLE Forums         Your Reliable USMLE Online Community     Members     Posts
Home
USMLE Articles
USMLE News
USMLE Polls
USMLE Books
USMLE Apps
Go Back   USMLE Forums > IMG Residency Match Forum

IMG Residency Match Forum International Medical Graduates (IMGs) discussing the residency matching process.


Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
  #1  
Old 07-25-2014
USMLE Forums Addict
 
Steps History: Not yet
Posts: 105
Threads: 35
Thanked 26 Times in 21 Posts
Reputation: 36
Default Withdrawing from match

In a bit of a predicament, and was wondering if someone can give me some info.

I have really good scores, and one year of research experience at a very good school with a couple of research papers and many abstracts, and am looking to apply for residency this year.

However:

1) I want to go to a really good school.
2) I know for a fact that if I do another 12-18 months of research, I can get a lot of publications given that I have good contacts and I am no longer busy with studying for the steps.

So my question is, can I apply for the match this year, and then if I don't get interviews at good enough places or my interviews at said places are not to my liking, can I withdraw from the match before the rank order list deadline, without it being some kind of blemish on my career or affecting my chances of matching in the future?

I'd really appreciate any advice/insight on the matter.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message


  #2  
Old 07-26-2014
USMLE Forums Guru
 
Steps History: 1+CK+CS
Posts: 471
Threads: 14
Thanked 203 Times in 163 Posts
Reputation: 213
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Xaquake View Post
In a bit of a predicament, and was wondering if someone can give me some info.

I have really good scores, and one year of research experience at a very good school with a couple of research papers and many abstracts, and am looking to apply for residency this year.

However:

1) I want to go to a really good school.
2) I know for a fact that if I do another 12-18 months of research, I can get a lot of publications given that I have good contacts and I am no longer busy with studying for the steps.

So my question is, can I apply for the match this year, and then if I don't get interviews at good enough places or my interviews at said places are not to my liking, can I withdraw from the match before the rank order list deadline, without it being some kind of blemish on my career or affecting my chances of matching in the future?

I'd really appreciate any advice/insight on the matter.
U sound like me last year, my advice to u is the advice I got from my dean APPLY this year u have a great chance to get accepted, the question good school if u mean by it ivy leagues are more like a VIP club they require more than a gr8 score or a year of research most of them are connection based so why waste a year and taking the risk of delaying a year on something u might not get
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
  #3  
Old 07-26-2014
USMLE Forums Addict
 
Steps History: Not yet
Posts: 105
Threads: 35
Thanked 26 Times in 21 Posts
Reputation: 36
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by yazz View Post
U sound like me last year, my advice to u is the advice I got from my dean APPLY this year u have a great chance to get accepted, the question good school if u mean by it ivy leagues are more like a VIP club they require more than a gr8 score or a year of research most of them are connection based so why waste a year and taking the risk of delaying a year on something u might not get
Thanks for replying, but I would also appreciate if you gave me more info regarding this particular bit:


Quote:
an I apply for the match this year, and then if I don't get interviews at good enough places or my interviews at said places are not to my liking, can I withdraw from the match before the rank order list deadline, without it being some kind of blemish on my career or affecting my chances of matching in the future?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
  #4  
Old 07-26-2014
fat1iscool's Avatar
USMLE Forums Guru
 
Steps History: 1+CK+CS
Posts: 399
Threads: 45
Thanked 147 Times in 94 Posts
Reputation: 157
Default

Hello,

In my humble opinion, you will be considered a repeat applicant, and that lowers your chances of matching.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
  #5  
Old 07-28-2014
USMLE Forums Guru
 
Steps History: 1+CK+CS
Posts: 471
Threads: 14
Thanked 203 Times in 163 Posts
Reputation: 213
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Xaquake View Post
Thanks for replying, but I would also appreciate if you gave me more info regarding this particular bit:
I dont think of any reason you can't do it, but why ditch the opportunity when its there.

and btw there is no such thing as a repeat application its a myth according to PD I have asked
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
  #6  
Old 08-05-2014
USMLE Forums Guru
 
Steps History: 1+CK+CS
Posts: 316
Threads: 17
Thanked 159 Times in 97 Posts
Reputation: 169
Default

I am also in a similar situation.

I don't know about the repeat applicant problem.

But also take into consideration the fact that the more time it passes since your graduation year, the less chance of matching. And obviously, with each passing year, the more competitive it gets.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
  #7  
Old 08-05-2014
USMLE Forums Scout
 
Steps History: Not yet
Posts: 98
Threads: 21
Thanked 36 Times in 26 Posts
Reputation: 46
Default

just a simple thought...why don't you just apply to the Ivy schools you want?so, if you get intervews it will be only from there and will not affect other choices.if they accept you it's ok. if not, you have another year with publications and decide afterwards...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
  #8  
Old 08-05-2014
USMLE Forums Guru
 
Steps History: 1+CK+CS
Posts: 471
Threads: 14
Thanked 203 Times in 163 Posts
Reputation: 213
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by usmlerun View Post
just a simple thought...why don't you just apply to the Ivy schools you want?so, if you get intervews it will be only from there and will not affect other choices.if they accept you it's ok. if not, you have another year with publications and decide afterwards...
Ivy leagues are beyond IMGs, they have to be exceptionally outstanding in all terms
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
  #9  
Old 08-05-2014
USMLE Forums Scout
 
Steps History: Not yet
Posts: 10
Threads: 3
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Reputation: 10
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Xaquake View Post
Thanks for replying, but I would also appreciate if you gave me more info regarding this particular bit:
I am in the same situation, scored high on step 2 ck, passed Cs, was planning to apply for 2016 match but was tempted to apply for this year's match also,
I'm wondering if I might have any chance or any aftermaths?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
  #10  
Old 08-11-2014
USMLE Forums Addict
 
Steps History: Not yet
Posts: 105
Threads: 35
Thanked 26 Times in 21 Posts
Reputation: 36
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by usmlerun View Post
just a simple thought...why don't you just apply to the Ivy schools you want?so, if you get intervews it will be only from there and will not affect other choices.if they accept you it's ok. if not, you have another year with publications and decide afterwards...
It's very hard to get a research position for just a few months - you have to give at least a year's commitment for them to consider you at good places.

And even if you find somewhere that is willing to take you for a few months, if you don't match, what are you going to do for the next year? What if they don't agree to extend your contract? Could be troublesome potentially, though less so.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message



Reply

Quick Reply
Message:
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the USMLE Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:
Medical School
Choose "---" if you don't want to tell. AMG for US & Canadian medical schools. IMG for all other medical schools.
USMLE Steps History
What steps finished! Example: 1+CK+CS+3 = Passed Step 1, Step 2 CK, Step 2 CS, and Step 3.

Choose "---" if you don't want to tell.

Favorite USMLE Books
What USMLE books you really think are useful. Leave blank if you don't want to tell.
Location
Where you live. Leave blank if you don't want to tell.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.



Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
No Interviews? No Match in 2014? A program that takes you closer for the 2015 match khapats IMG Residency Match Forum 13 03-28-2014 02:05 PM
Can I apply for match 2014 or wait for match 2015 tanvi angel IMG Residency Match Forum 1 06-09-2013 07:42 AM
93.2% IMG Match Success Rate for 2013 Match missiondoc IMG/FMG Forum 3 04-20-2013 07:49 AM
93.2% Match Success Rate for 2013 Match missiondoc IMG Residency Match Forum 0 03-25-2013 08:23 PM
Withdrawing the money from OASIS Financial balance MedicalDR14 ECFMG Forum 2 06-01-2012 05:50 PM

RSS Feed
Find Us on Facebook
vBulletin Security provided by vBSecurity v2.2.2 (Pro) - vBulletin Mods & Addons Copyright © 2017 DragonByte Technologies Ltd.

USMLE® & other trade marks belong to their respective owners, read full disclaimer
USMLE Forums created under Creative Commons 3.0 License. (2009-2014)