Addressing the LoR; To Whom It May Concern - USMLE Forums
USMLE Forums Logo
USMLE Forums         Your Reliable USMLE Online Community     Members     Posts
Home
USMLE Articles
USMLE News
USMLE Polls
USMLE Books
USMLE Apps
Go Back   USMLE Forums > IMG Residency Match Forum

IMG Residency Match Forum International Medical Graduates (IMGs) discussing the residency matching process.


Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
  #1  
Old 06-12-2011
USMLE Forums Scout
 
Steps History: 1 + CS
Posts: 59
Threads: 12
Thanked 26 Times in 14 Posts
Reputation: 36
Certificate Addressing the LoR; To Whom It May Concern

Hi,

I have a question regarding LOR. I got an Lor in which it is mentioned as "To whomsoever it may concern". Is it ok to upload this letter. Does this LOR count or is invalid? I have read somewhere that it should be mentioned as "dear program director" only.

Please share ur opinions
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message


  #2  
Old 06-12-2011
USMLE Forums Master
 
Steps History: ---
Posts: 535
Threads: 12
Thanked 615 Times in 247 Posts
Reputation: 593
Default

If you mean "to whom it may concern",Yes you can use it, no problem.
The PD is not the only one who review thousands of LORs he will receive each September. There is a group of faculty that do that. So it will not make a difference to whom it is addressed, because anyway it is sent to the PD.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
  #3  
Old 06-12-2011
USMLE Forums Scout
 
Steps History: 1 + CS
Posts: 59
Threads: 12
Thanked 26 Times in 14 Posts
Reputation: 36
Default

Thanks a lot!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
  #4  
Old 06-14-2011
laithbv's Avatar
USMLE Forums Guru
 
Steps History: 1 + CS
Posts: 304
Threads: 9
Thanked 308 Times in 136 Posts
Reputation: 318
Stop Dear Program Director is Better

Although "To Whom It may concern" would work but it's better to be addressed "Dear Program Director".

This is not from me.

It's mentioned in the official recommendation here
https://www.aamc.org/download/140222/data/lor_img.pdf
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
The above post was thanked by:
JaJeeK (06-14-2011), Maghazachi (06-14-2011)
  #5  
Old 06-14-2011
USMLE Forums Master
 
Steps History: ---
Posts: 535
Threads: 12
Thanked 615 Times in 247 Posts
Reputation: 593
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by laithbv View Post
Although "To Whom It may concern" would work but it's better to be addressed "Dear Program Director".

This is not from me.

It's mentioned in the official recommendation here
https://www.aamc.org/download/140222/data/lor_img.pdf
They didn't mean that they prefer "dear program director" on "to whom it may concern", but they mean to say that DON'T put specific program director name because it is directed to all programs. IMGs usually face difficulty in getting much copies of their LORs which they will definitely need to to apply to other things in their life, like observership, research, jobs, educational things...and this it is usually advised to keep the addressing non-specific.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
  #6  
Old 06-14-2011
USMLE Forums Scout
 
Steps History: 1 + CS
Posts: 59
Threads: 12
Thanked 26 Times in 14 Posts
Reputation: 36
Default

Thanks a lot applicant guide! Now i am feeling relieved. Actually it is a letter from a US doctor who is in a good position in a top university. So I cant bug her again to change my letter for this minor issue and this letter is actually very precious for me, so I don't want it get wasted
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
  #7  
Old 06-14-2011
JaJeeK's Avatar
USMLE Forums Addict
 
Steps History: 1+CK+CS
Posts: 143
Threads: 4
Thanked 178 Times in 59 Posts
Reputation: 188
Arrow Dear Program Director is Better

You should put "Dear Program Director".
"To whom it may concern" is so general and unprofessional, any letter can be addressed "to whom it may concern".
While in ERAS and in residency application, it's quite important that they know that the letter writer is writing this letter with your residency application in their mind.

Your prof can write "to whom it may concern" letter talking about anything in your personality. While when your prof says "Dear Program Director" he/she then must write the specific deeds that you have to make you eligible for residency in that specialty.

Am not saying "to whom it may concern" is wrong but am saying "Dear Program Director" is better and more authentic.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
The above post was thanked by:
Hokolesqua (06-14-2011), Maghazachi (06-14-2011)
  #8  
Old 06-14-2011
USMLE Forums Master
 
Steps History: ---
Posts: 535
Threads: 12
Thanked 615 Times in 247 Posts
Reputation: 593
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by JaJeeK View Post
You should put "Dear Program Director".
"To whom it may concern" is so general and unprofessional, any letter can be addressed "to whom it may concern".
While in ERAS and in residency application, it's quite important that they know that the letter writer is writing this letter with your residency application in their mind.

Your prof can write "to whom it may concern" letter talking about anything in your personality. While when your prof says "Dear Program Director" he/she then must write the specific deeds that you have to make you eligible for residency in that specialty.

Am not saying "to whom it may concern" is wrong but am saying "Dear Program Director" is better and more authentic.
Hi, no offense, but am speaking with 5 years experience of guiding IMGs. Personally I matched with LORs "To whom it may concern".
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
  #9  
Old 06-16-2011
JaJeeK's Avatar
USMLE Forums Addict
 
Steps History: 1+CK+CS
Posts: 143
Threads: 4
Thanked 178 Times in 59 Posts
Reputation: 188
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by ApplicantGuide View Post
Hi, no offense, but am speaking with 5 years experience of guiding IMGs. Personally I matched with LORs "To whom it may concern".
Hi there, sure, nothing personal, everyone is entitled to his opinion.
I just want to say that the fact you matched with 'to whom it may concern' doesn't mean that 'dear program director' is not better.
Also, that rule has been recently added, it was not there before. So it's a good idea to update your recommendations.

Cheers
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
  #10  
Old 06-16-2011
USMLE Forums Master
 
Steps History: ---
Posts: 535
Threads: 12
Thanked 615 Times in 247 Posts
Reputation: 593
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by JaJeeK View Post
Hi there, sure, nothing personal, everyone is entitled to his opinion.
I just want to say that the fact you matched with 'to whom it may concern' doesn't mean that 'dear program director' is not better.
Also, that rule has been recently added, it was not there before. So it's a good idea to update your recommendations.

Cheers
It is not a rule as per the above link, it is just an advice not to write a specific program director name but to make it general, but this has nothing to do with which phrase to use. However I agree with you that dear PD may look more professional but it has nothing to do with chances of getting interviews.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message



Reply

Tags
Letters-Of-Recommendations

Quick Reply
Message:
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the USMLE Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:
Medical School
Choose "---" if you don't want to tell. AMG for US & Canadian medical schools. IMG for all other medical schools.
USMLE Steps History
What steps finished! Example: 1+CK+CS+3 = Passed Step 1, Step 2 CK, Step 2 CS, and Step 3.

Choose "---" if you don't want to tell.

Favorite USMLE Books
What USMLE books you really think are useful. Leave blank if you don't want to tell.
Location
Where you live. Leave blank if you don't want to tell.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.



Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Addressing female SPs in the CS Exam, Miss or Mrs.? Sabio USMLE Step 2 CS Communication Skills 5 07-04-2011 12:36 PM
Concern regarding ECFMG Payment MedicalDR14 ECFMG Forum 3 01-26-2011 02:07 PM

RSS Feed
Find Us on Facebook
vBulletin Security provided by vBSecurity v2.2.2 (Pro) - vBulletin Mods & Addons Copyright © 2017 DragonByte Technologies Ltd.

USMLE® & other trade marks belong to their respective owners, read full disclaimer
USMLE Forums created under Creative Commons 3.0 License. (2009-2014)