Residency application process timeline - USMLE Forums
USMLE Forums Logo
USMLE Forums         Your Reliable USMLE Online Community     Members     Posts
Home
USMLE Articles
USMLE News
USMLE Polls
USMLE Books
USMLE Apps
Go Back   USMLE Forums > IMG Residency Match Forum

IMG Residency Match Forum International Medical Graduates (IMGs) discussing the residency matching process.


Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
  #1  
Old 09-09-2014
USMLE Forums Newbie
 
Steps History: 1 + CK
Posts: 6
Threads: 1
Thanked 1 Time in 1 Post
Reputation: 11
Default Residency application process timeline

Hi,

I'd like to understand the application timelines so I can plan my exams and work accordingly.

I am preparing for step2 CS and step3 and want to apply in 2015. I also want to gain maximum work experience and LORs before I apply to increase my chances of match.

As I understand all documents need to be uploaded by June including step results etc. and in September students start applying in different hospitals.

Here are some specific questions:

What is the deadline to appear in step 3, so I can write in my application "awaiting result". Is it in June?
In order to appear in step 3 I must have passed step 2 cs?
Step 2 cs results come after 2.5 months and step 3 results come after 1 month of exam date?
If I do any observerships after June 2015 till sep 2015, will it count as LORs need to be uploaded by June?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
The above post was thanked by:
drevr (09-10-2014)


  #2  
Old 09-10-2014
USMLE Forums Newbie
 
Steps History: 1 + CK
Posts: 6
Threads: 1
Thanked 1 Time in 1 Post
Reputation: 11
Default

anyone please?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
  #3  
Old 09-10-2014
USMLE Forums Scout
 
Steps History: ---
Posts: 36
Threads: 0
Thanked 14 Times in 11 Posts
Reputation: 24
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by rotation View Post
Hi,

I'd like to understand the application timelines so I can plan my exams and work accordingly.

I am preparing for step2 CS and step3 and want to apply in 2015. I also want to gain maximum work experience and LORs before I apply to increase my chances of match.

As I understand all documents need to be uploaded by June including step results etc. and in September students start applying in different hospitals.

Here are some specific questions:

What is the deadline to appear in step 3, so I can write in my application "awaiting result". Is it in June?
In order to appear in step 3 I must have passed step 2 cs?
Step 2 cs results come after 2.5 months and step 3 results come after 1 month of exam date?
If I do any observerships after June 2015 till sep 2015, will it count as LORs need to be uploaded by June?
You need to be ready by sep 15 and your lor need to be uploaded no later than sep 5 ,,, I'm sorry I don't have much info about step 3
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
The above post was thanked by:
rotation (09-10-2014)
  #4  
Old 09-10-2014
USMLE Forums Newbie
 
Steps History: 1 + CK
Posts: 6
Threads: 1
Thanked 1 Time in 1 Post
Reputation: 11
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by success2014 View Post
You need to be ready by sep 15 and your lor need to be uploaded no later than sep 5 ,,, I'm sorry I don't have much info about step 3
thanks so basically your saying my observerships/externships till September are going to count.

Also, if I appear in Step 3 before Sep. I can write in my application "awaiting results" as many hospitals just ignore candidates who have not written step3. So as long as I write step 3 before sep, and ideally get my results before sep, I am good.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
  #5  
Old 09-10-2014
USMLE Forums Scout
 
Steps History: ---
Posts: 36
Threads: 0
Thanked 14 Times in 11 Posts
Reputation: 24
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by rotation View Post
thanks so basically your saying my observerships/externships till September are going to count.

Also, if I appear in Step 3 before Sep. I can write in my application "awaiting results" as many hospitals just ignore candidates who have not written step3. So as long as I write step 3 before sep, and ideally get my results before sep, I am good.
Sure your observership till sep will be counted ,, I think step 3 need 1 month for its score to be released , and you can write awaiting results if it wasn't out by the time you apply and you'll be very good to go
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
  #6  
Old 09-10-2014
USMLE Forums Newbie
 
Steps History: 1 + CK
Posts: 6
Threads: 1
Thanked 1 Time in 1 Post
Reputation: 11
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by success2014 View Post
Sure your observership till sep will be counted ,, I think step 3 need 1 month for its score to be released , and you can write awaiting results if it wasn't out by the time you apply and you'll be very good to go
Thank you for the clarification.

The month of June just confused me. I think in June, I simply have to upload the paper work on OASIS and fill up the form.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
  #7  
Old 09-10-2014
USMLE Forums Scout
 
Steps History: ---
Posts: 36
Threads: 0
Thanked 14 Times in 11 Posts
Reputation: 24
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by rotation View Post
Thank you for the clarification.

The month of June just confused me. I think in June, I simply have to upload the paper work on OASIS and fill up the form.
You can have your token by July 1st and register into eras service and start filling your application at the same time you are doing your observership ,, in fact few applicants can complete their application package by July and the majority will just be ready by sep 15
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
  #8  
Old 09-10-2014
USMLE Forums Newbie
 
Steps History: 1 + CK
Posts: 6
Threads: 1
Thanked 1 Time in 1 Post
Reputation: 11
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by success2014 View Post
You can have your token by July 1st and register into eras service and start filling your application at the same time you are doing your observership ,, in fact few applicants can complete their application package by July and the majority will just be ready by sep 15
So the June/July date is simply the start of application process.

The actual residency application goes out in Sep. and this is when the hospitals will look at your LORs and USMLE exams, scores etc.

So the deadline for a candidate to appear in exams and get LORs etc is Sep.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message



Reply

Quick Reply
Message:
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the USMLE Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:
Medical School
Choose "---" if you don't want to tell. AMG for US & Canadian medical schools. IMG for all other medical schools.
USMLE Steps History
What steps finished! Example: 1+CK+CS+3 = Passed Step 1, Step 2 CK, Step 2 CS, and Step 3.

Choose "---" if you don't want to tell.

Favorite USMLE Books
What USMLE books you really think are useful. Leave blank if you don't want to tell.
Location
Where you live. Leave blank if you don't want to tell.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.



Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Residency application process bone IMG Residency Match Forum 0 07-13-2013 08:24 PM
Application process abdulmannan USCE & Clinical Rotations 0 06-05-2013 02:46 AM
Dillema about my timeline for residency program application belindalimm IMG Residency Match Forum 10 04-11-2013 10:41 AM
2013 Residency Application Timeline ACA IMG/FMG Forum 0 01-24-2013 04:43 PM
Ranking process timeline and NRMP OTAV IMG Residency Match Forum 1 12-02-2011 05:17 PM

RSS Feed
Find Us on Facebook
vBulletin Security provided by vBSecurity v2.2.2 (Pro) - vBulletin Mods & Addons Copyright © 2017 DragonByte Technologies Ltd.

USMLE® & other trade marks belong to their respective owners, read full disclaimer
USMLE Forums created under Creative Commons 3.0 License. (2009-2014)