Can you match at a University IM program with CS attempt? - USMLE Forums
USMLE Forums Logo
USMLE Forums         Your Reliable USMLE Online Community     Members     Posts
Home
USMLE Articles
USMLE News
USMLE Polls
USMLE Books
USMLE Apps
Go Back   USMLE Forums > IMG Residency Match Forum

IMG Residency Match Forum International Medical Graduates (IMGs) discussing the residency matching process.


Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
  #1  
Old 07-13-2011
USMLE Forums Scout
 
Steps History: 1+CK+CS
Posts: 10
Threads: 1
Thanked 45 Times in 7 Posts
Reputation: 50
Question Can you match at a University IM program with CS attempt?

Hello,
I am an IMG candidate for IM, I have step 1 230/96, step 2 237/98, 3 good US LORs, research experience in USA for 1 year with 2 publications and 2 posters. But I have attempt on CS.
Do I have a chance to get into any university program or
into a good community-university affiliated?

Thank you.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message


  #2  
Old 07-13-2011
USMLE Forums Master
 
Steps History: ---
Posts: 535
Threads: 12
Thanked 610 Times in 247 Posts
Reputation: 588
Default

Yes, I have many applicants last year matched to university hospitals with attempts in CS, but most of them have above 95 scores on step1 and 2ck. I think you have a good profile and you should be ok especially in the univ aff comunity programs, but my advice is apply also in the community programs.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
  #3  
Old 07-13-2011
USMLE Forums Scout
 
Steps History: 1+CK+CS
Posts: 10
Threads: 1
Thanked 45 Times in 7 Posts
Reputation: 50
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by ApplicantGuide View Post
Yes, I have many applicants last year matched to university hospitals with attempts in CS, but most of them have above 95 scores on step1 and 2ck. I think you have a good profile and you should be ok especially in the univ aff comunity programs, but my advice is apply also in the community programs.
Thank you a lot for your response,
I believe and I hope for the same, but I don't know anyone who did it.
I feel dispirited when I read on the websites of the hospitals, don't apply if you have attempt on CS... But I will apply there (but no everywhere like top univ.)
Your friends, did they have any connections in the hospitals that they matched? Or just their good CV?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
The above post was thanked by:
dron (09-08-2011)
  #4  
Old 07-15-2011
USMLE Forums Master
 
Steps History: ---
Posts: 535
Threads: 12
Thanked 610 Times in 247 Posts
Reputation: 588
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Imalaa View Post
Thank you a lot for your response,
I believe and I hope for the same, but I don't know anyone who did it.
I feel dispirited when I read on the websites of the hospitals, don't apply if you have attempt on CS... But I will apply there (but no everywhere like top univ.)
Your friends, did they have any connections in the hospitals that they matched? Or just their good CV?
Most of them had good CV as yours.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
  #5  
Old 07-15-2011
USMLE Forums Scout
 
Steps History: 1+CK+CS
Posts: 10
Threads: 1
Thanked 45 Times in 7 Posts
Reputation: 50
Default

Does anyone else know somebody who matched in a university hospital with attempt on CS?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
  #6  
Old 07-17-2011
wonder's Avatar
USMLE Forums Scout
 
Steps History: 1 + CK
Posts: 25
Threads: 4
Thanked 11 Times in 7 Posts
Reputation: 21
Stop You can't get into University program

Quote:
Originally Posted by Imalaa View Post
Does anyone else know somebody who matched in a university hospital with attempt on CS?
I don't know anybody who matched in University or University-affiliated programs and had a CS attempt.
I know like over 10 people who failed the CS, all of them went into the dirtiest NY community programs.

I am not trying to bring you down, am just telling the truth and facts that I know.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
  #7  
Old 07-17-2011
USMLE Forums Scout
 
Steps History: 1+CK+CS
Posts: 10
Threads: 1
Thanked 45 Times in 7 Posts
Reputation: 50
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by wonder View Post
I don't know anybody who matched in University or University-affiliated programs and had a CS attempt.
I know like over 10 people who failed the CS, all of them went into the dirtiest NY community programs.

I am not trying to bring you down, am just telling the truth and facts that I know.
That's great! I am happy to hear that I will be the first!
I will match at a university program. Don't worry I will send you an email to inform you about it, I want you to celebrate my success. I am so sorry for your friends but they didn't have a good CV.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
  #8  
Old 07-17-2011
wonder's Avatar
USMLE Forums Scout
 
Steps History: 1 + CK
Posts: 25
Threads: 4
Thanked 11 Times in 7 Posts
Reputation: 21
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Imalaa View Post
That's great! I am happy to hear that I will be the first!
I will match at a university program. Don't worry I will send you an email to inform you about it, I want you to celebrate my success. I am so sorry for your friends but they didn't have a good CV.
I really like your enthusiasm and I wish you all the best.
Please don't take it personal, I just wanted to lay down the facts for you.

PS- Will be waiting for your email
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
  #9  
Old 07-18-2011
USMLE Forums Newbie
 
Steps History: 1+CK+CS
Posts: 9
Threads: 3
Thanked 11 Times in 2 Posts
Reputation: 21
Default Sure U can!

@ Imalaa

Having a CS attempt is not a dead end of the road for USMLE.!!!
U can definately get matched into a university programe, depending on the specialities u wanna consider.

I do agree with you that few universities dont want CS repeat applicants to apply, but most of the universities do accept and ppl do get matched!!!

I know a senior of my university matching in a uni programe with a CS attempt!!

Keep your hopes alive!

All d Best!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
The above post was thanked by:
dron (09-08-2011), Imalaa (07-18-2011), prataptetali (07-24-2013)



Reply

Tags
Failed-Attempts, IM-Match, Match-Probability

Quick Reply
Message:
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the USMLE Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:
Medical School
Choose "---" if you don't want to tell. AMG for US & Canadian medical schools. IMG for all other medical schools.
USMLE Steps History
What steps finished! Example: 1+CK+CS+3 = Passed Step 1, Step 2 CK, Step 2 CS, and Step 3.

Choose "---" if you don't want to tell.

Favorite USMLE Books
What USMLE books you really think are useful. Leave blank if you don't want to tell.
Location
Where you live. Leave blank if you don't want to tell.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.



Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Got 197/80 after a failed attempt Simi USMLE Step 1 Forum 6 08-28-2016 04:04 AM
Failed Step 2 CS Attempt! dr.panadol USMLE Step 2 CS Forum 3 06-19-2011 02:23 PM
live stream for match day in south florida university-be sure not to miss it MedicalDR14 IMG Residency Match Forum 2 03-17-2011 10:36 AM
Step 3 passed at the second attempt psychiatry IMG Residency Match Forum 1 03-10-2011 01:35 PM
Failed Attempt! futureresident USMLE Step 1 Forum 3 06-12-2010 06:57 AM

RSS Feed
Find Us on Facebook
vBulletin Security provided by vBSecurity v2.2.2 (Pro) - vBulletin Mods & Addons Copyright © 2017 DragonByte Technologies Ltd.

USMLE® & other trade marks belong to their respective owners, read full disclaimer
USMLE Forums created under Creative Commons 3.0 License. (2009-2014)